Renix 2.5L Overflow Tank Cap

Working on my '89 MJ. 4.0L Renix. Going to be converting it to an open cooling system soon. Thought I might try using the 2.5L overflow bottle that goes next to the airbox as an experiment. I have a backup in case I can't get it to fit, but there's a big wiring ratsnest where an HO coolant bottle would mount and I want this to look OEM if possible. The bottle itself was super cheap, no issue there, but I can't find a cap for it. Anyone have a source? I've tried a bunch of caps from 5qt oil jugs and various other containers with no joy.

It's just an overflow tank, so it doesn't need to be anything fancy - as long as it screws onto the threads on the bottle, it's good to go. The part number for the OEM cap (3300 0438) and baffle (3300 0576) appear to be long dead.

2 hours ago, Minuit said:

Working on my '89 MJ. 4.0L Renix. Going to be converting it to an open cooling system soon. Thought I might try using the 2.5L overflow bottle that goes next to the airbox as an experiment. I have a backup in case I can't get it to fit, but there's a big wiring ratsnest where an HO coolant bottle would mount and I want this to look OEM if possible. The bottle itself was super cheap, no issue there, but I can't find a cap for it. Anyone have a source? I've tried a bunch of caps from 5qt oil jugs and various other containers with no joy.

It's just an overflow tank, so it doesn't need to be anything fancy - as long as it screws onto the threads on the bottle, it's good to go. The part number for the OEM cap (3300 0438) and baffle (3300 0576) appear to be long dead.

Jeremy you can repurpose your expansion tank bottle to an overflow bottle and can keep it neat and clean and not have to fab a bracket etc. Got the idea from Rokinn when I converted to open about a month ago. He plugged the upper hose barb and put a hole in his Volvo cap, but I just left the upper hose barb uncovered to act as the vent and not have to drill a hole in the cap. "Full" level when cold you'll see in Rokinn's picture on the thread link, and "full hot" seems to be right at the upper hose barb so it's about perfect IMO. Picture of mine on here to show the conversion.....see posts by Rokinn and myself on the thread link on June 29-30 for specific detail. 

Overflow bottle.jpg

12 hours ago, WahooSteeler said:

Jeremy you can repurpose your expansion tank bottle to an overflow bottle and can keep it neat and clean and not have to fab a bracket etc. Got the idea from Rokinn when I converted to open about a month ago. He plugged the upper hose barb and put a hole in his Volvo cap, but I just left the upper hose barb uncovered to act as the vent and not have to drill a hole in the cap. "Full" level when cold you'll see in Rokinn's picture on the thread link, and "full hot" seems to be right at the upper hose barb so it's about perfect IMO. Picture of mine on here to show the conversion.....see posts by Rokinn and myself on the thread link on June 29-30 for specific detail. 

Overflow bottle.jpg

That is, in fact, my backup plan if I can't make the 2.5L bottle work (there are a couple of relays and such in the way). I was hoping to delete the Renix cooling bottle and that whole funky hose setup entirely, but the one in my truck is pretty new, so if I have to keep it, that's what I'll do. Mainly I want to do something a little different, and I told someone at All Breeds (87MJTIM?) that I would try it to see if it worked.

15 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Baffle is long gone but you don’t need it. I used a big 5 quart valvoline oil cap and it works great. I found a NOS one on eBay and bought it. There should be seven dealers left with them. 

Would you like me to PM you some numbers? 

I would like to get a baffle if anyone knows where i could find one.

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, carolinajeepman said:

In case anyone’s looking for a reservoir cap that fits, I found one made by doorman. Part number is 82594. Fits perfect on the 2.5l reservoir made by crown automotive (part number 52003213)

CC0B46CC-8FD9-4E1B-97E6-5D26898CF643.jpeg.a02fbc6f654db0f71b738774cae81c94.jpeg

A629E566-5B1C-49E7-BC74-FCC2DF4C335B.jpeg.ace9c9eb2bb5908850b53922afef6555.jpeg

:thumbsup: