oddball things you're looking for in the junkyards

Pete M

On 7/20/2019 at 12:46 AM, Eagle said:

I need:

1. A transfer case shift gate for an NP-242 (Select-Trac) shifter, to fit a Renix-era XJ (and MJ)
  2.  The overhead light module for a 2000 XJ Sport withOUT the full-length overhead console

My understanding is the 242 shift gates for XJ/MJ are all the same, even the 97-01 XJ.  Not only are these tough to find, but more often than not, the threaded inserts in body come loose and the tiny screws will turn but never come out.  This requires cutting them off or having a two people, one to grab the insert from below with vise grips while another turns the screws from above.  I've passed a couple up lately because of this problem.

Do you know if the overhead light module is 2000 only?  I ask because I know that some electrical parts on the late XJs (97-01) are year specific, learned that when adding cruise control buttons to the steering wheel on a 2000.  First attempt with 99 switches didn't work, had to be from a 2000.

17 minutes ago, COM86 said:

This topic should be a sticky. 

Anyway, I would  like to add a rear third brake light with a truck bed light. 

So great junkyard gurus, what make, model should I be looking for? That would fit a manche. I would like to have it look somewhat Factory or match the curve of the cab.

https://images.app.goo.gl/HCpVGMi4qFx2qYVMA

I just got 80s Ford Ranger cargo lamp it look so much alike so i grab it and it hard to find u won't see much 80s Ford Ranger at yard.

20190722_094930.jpg

20190722_095001.jpg

And i understand that u want in addition 3rd brake light but why? Whats good reason to have 3rd brake light? Ur state law? As i know my WV state law require to have 3rd brake light but however the guy at shop said don't worry about 3rd light brake aince it didnt equipment and it good to go, yep i stop by shop before I gohead add 3rd brake light so I decide not to just the light, so if u really want to or require, i have seen some one did off ford f150 or f250 with both brake light and cargo light.

Thank you. But with the idiot's here in California with day time running lights driving at night with no taillights, I just want to be safe as possible. So a bright brake light would keep my rear in one peice. Hopefully. 

8 minutes ago, COM86 said:

Thank you. But with the idiot's here in California with day time running lights driving at night with no taillights, I just want to be safe as possible. So a bright brake light would keep my rear in one peice. Hopefully. 

Ahh gotcha yea I have see people do that mostly newer car that have switch headlight from auto to off so when u trun on it set DRL, drive and forgot to switch light back on or turn back in auto :fistshake1: I had stop at gas station after notice a old lady's brand new land rover amd told her that her suv tailight isn't on at night time she saod oh really it brand new car I don't know how to turn on and i look and show her where switch is and bam on now with foglight on. :doh: 

38 minutes ago, COM86 said:

This topic should be a sticky. 

Anyway, I would  like to add a rear third brake light with a truck bed light. 

So great junkyard gurus, what make, model should I be looking for? That would fit a manche. I would like to have it look somewhat Factory or match the curve of the cab.

https://images.app.goo.gl/HCpVGMi4qFx2qYVMA

that question deserves its own post in Tech. :L: 

• 2 months later...