727 in an mj?

Cabz

Has anyone here tried putting an amc 727 auto trans in there MJ? I have one laying around and go to wondering. I also have the FSJ 208 that was behind it and since it has no slip yoke and is the right side drop it just makes me wonder if this isnt a viablie option.

the only issue I see is the cps and the flywheel I would have to use .

any sugjestions?

727 take a beating a hell of a lot better than an AW4......

As for bolting up....... dang I'm not sure I was looking into the same thing awhile back but wanted to keep the OD.......

Ill check with some people and get back to you.......... I was thinking about using a 208 behind the AW4 aswell seems to be a stronger case and I'm not in the mood to toss cash at a SYE

The 727 didn't have an overdrive, did it?

I guess if you have it there's some logic in trying to use it, but the AW-4 is really a much better transmission.

No the 727 didnt have an OD and as far as the aw-4 being better thats crazy. the 727 is one of the best autos crysler ever put out , its right up there with the TH400 and C6 . and if it wer me id definetly try n use it.

No the 727 didnt have an OD and as far as the aw-4 being better thats crazy. the 727 is one of the best autos crysler ever put out , its right up there with the TH400 and C6 . and if it wer me id definetly try n use it.

The 727 may be one of the best transmissions Chrysler ever put out, but that to me is like saying the Edsel was one of the best engineered cars Ford ever put out. I don't hold Chrysler transmissions in high regard. Rating it as being even close to a TH400 is IMHO delusional.

It would be to much work in my opinion to make it work, for no gain in any aspect over the AW4 in a Jeep

727 take a beating a hell of a lot better than an AW4......

The 727 is one of the best autos Chrysler ever put out

I have seen no trend of AW4 tranny’s that have not ran as long or longer under just as much abuse as a 727. I have run and rebuilt 727 tranny’s in AMC vehicles and it is a good trans .but I would use the AW4 even in an older Jeep if possible due to the overdrive and lock up

The AW4 has a much better record in the Jeep community for reliability and durability then a 727 has, and Jeep chose this trans for the Jeep and it has performed outstanding

I wouldn’t see any reason to try to use the 727 over an AW4 in an 87 and newer Jeep

Unless you just want to try something different and that’s cool.

That’s of course my Opinion

I thought of the aw4 and true it is a damn near bullet proof trans but I allready have a 727 and 208 ready to go . I was gonna use the aw4 and I even have the wiring to do it but either way it is a major job and since I have a 727 anyway I figured I would ask.

as far as the 727 not having OD I would imagine it would be ok it' would keep the ole girl in the power band for sure

I just enertained the fact because the 727 is simple no electronics no ecu just a simple trans to beat on.

Those are all valid reasons, and it should bolt right up. AMC started using that tranny in (I believe) 1970, and they reengineered the bolt pattern on the block that year to accept a Chrysler bell housing. They never changed the bolt pattern again (except when they came out with the 2.5L 4-banger).

Going in reverse, a friend of mine recently got around to doing the street rod project he's been threatening for over 30 years -- a 1949 Hudson coupe powered by an AMC 390. He wanted a 5-speed, and the AMC 390s came with a T-10 4-speed. After we discussed it, he bought an AX-15 XJ tranny and bell housing, found a pilot bearing that fit the crank -- and it bolted right up.

Your primary issue is going to be that the 727 wasn't used in any vehicle that had the same CPS as an MJ, so you'll have to use the MJ flex plate and probably redrill it to accept the 727 torque converter.

OR ... you can get the conversion bracket used with the kit to change the older 4.2L Jeep engines to fuel injection. This puts a bracket at the front of the engine, uses a special harmonic damper with the trigger teeth, and relocates the CPS to the front of the engine (where, incidently, you can replace it without being a contortionist). If those parts aren't still available from the Mopar Performance Catalog, you should be able to get them from HESCO. A caution, however: The Jeep EFI conversion was to a 94/95 compatible Chrysler system, not Renix. If your MJ is the 88 listed in your signature, you'll need a different trigger tooth pattern. Chrysler won't have that in a front-end conversion, but HESCO might.

the 727 I have is an amc bell houseing , it came off a 360 v8 and will bolt up to a 258 as well. I was thinking I could use the flywheel from a 258 to mate the trans to the engine but i think the starter would be a issue then .

the 360/258 engines use a motorcraft/ ford starter . I don't know if the flywheel tooth counts will let me use a standard jeep starter or not .

just something else to ponder

I don't think the starter is going to be an issue. The problem is going to be, as you originally postulated, how to trigger the CPS. Depending on whether or not you can fit the 727 torque converter to a Renix 4.0L flex plate, HESCO may be the only game in town.

Aight I can point you in the right direction but I don't have time to search the site right now.

www.amceaglenest.com

head to the forums, these guys are constantly swapping out thier 4.2s for 4.0s and the auto eagles use a TF 999 (same family as your 727 and interchangable) I saw some pics of how the CPS is dealt with and it looks simple enough but the info your looking for is definately on those forums.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is somewhat off topic from the original thread and you'll likely think I'm crazy just for asking ...but.... How would a 89 727 from an FSJ Grand Waggy mate to the 2.5L in an 86 MJ?

(Want to get the tranny in their and do a 4wd conversion before I put in a Cummins 4cyl so thats why I ask) I have the tranny left over from the 360 I put in my Cj so for the low cost of 'on the house' I thought it might be worth asking

• 2 weeks later...

How about crank sensor guys? You need to use a '91 up YJ/TJ flexplate (if you have HO EFI) and machine a hole in the bell for it to work. (or go with a harmonic balancer CPS kit)

I already posted pics of my NP208J with an AW4 in front (spacer is available from http://partsmike.com for @$200) and I had it bolted to my AX-15 (decided to sell that trans and clocking ring for an auto swap instead)