0331 Head

So my MJ has suffered the dreaded “0331” head crack syndrome common to the late XJ  4.0 engines, and I need a new head.

Is Clearwater Cylinder Head still a “go-to” place for a replacement head?

Just now, MJXJjeepguy said:

What!? I though 0331 only find in 2000 amd 2001 XJ and early WJ 99 to 02? Improved in later that year i think 03 to 04? Correct me if i was wrong. I have my junk parts WJ with hole in oil pan and side of block 

He's got a 2001 engine in his truck according to the signature.

Guys...I KNOW I have a "0331" head, and I KNOW it has a crack.  I have cleaned and inspected it.  It's got the signature crack in the "correct" spot.

So I KNOW I need a new head, and I WANT the "TUPY" type.   Clearwater has those, I think. Is that the best choice, or is someone else offer something better/cheaper/closer?

4 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

Guys...I KNOW I have a "0331" head, and I KNOW it had a crack.  I have cleaned and inspected it.  It's got the signature crack in the "correct" spot.

So I KNOW I need a new head, and I WANT the "TUPY" type.   Clearwater has those, I think. Is that the best choice, or is someone else offer something better/cheaper/closer?

Have u try look at junkyard? Last time i know friend of mine only paid $150 for head but it was 7120

42 minutes ago, AZJeff said:

Guys...I KNOW I have a "0331" head, and I KNOW it has a crack.  I have cleaned and inspected it.  It's got the signature crack in the "correct" spot.

I used to live there and Clearwater did head work for me but unrelated to your question. 

So, here is a recent testimonial..........take it for what it's worth. 

Hi, I just bought mine off of ebay. Clearwater goes by the seller name odessa*cylinderhead. I have included the link below (I hope it works). I've now put 12,000 miles on it and my Jeep still runs great. All of my original symptoms have been remedied. I think you are making the right choice by replacing the head.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rebuilt-tupy-head-vs-new-clearwater-0331-head.12398/

7 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Why not try the local folks? 

Cruiser, do you have any local folks you would trust?  I ask because the nearest shops to me are in the downtown Phoenix area, which is 50+ miles from my home.  If I am going to fight city traffic to get a head, I want it to be a good one.

With Clearwater, I know they have a good reputation.  But, if you know of someone here in AZ, I am open to ideas.

16 hours ago, AZJeff said:

Cruiser, do you have any local folks you would trust?  I ask because the nearest shops to me are in the downtown Phoenix area, which is 50+ miles from my home.  If I am going to fight city traffic to get a head, I want it to be a good one.

With Clearwater, I know they have a good reputation.  But, if you know of someone here in AZ, I am open to ideas.

No. I really don't. I hate the Phoenix area and I feel your pain.