It's not a chip on my shoulder, really, it's not!

Jeep Driver

I don't, though that's what is perceived.

Wife and I were having a discussion over dinner about cleverness. 

I went to town earlier to go to the store, lines of hot rods and trucks out today, cars shows and cruise-ins, a lot of people out playing today and I was envious for just the moment- I wanna play too. But as I sat at a light watching these cars pass through it occurred to me......my vanity plate! I got it! I've had several in mind, better than a week ago I picked up my application for the plate and I planned on sending it in in another week, glad I waited. 

The irony-

After dinner I sit down to go through my emails. 

I've known for some time that Suntrust had merged with BB&T, today Suntrust sends out the email notifying us of the new name.....ready?...........Truist. 

Truist- altruism- benevolence. What comes to mind is Utopianism, the mindset of the do-gooders, the social justice types.  

This merger has now made Truist the largest bank in the world. 

Now, I won't go into what I think about corporate XXXXXXX XXXXXXXs or the psychology of the name or how today's non-thinkers think........but...........

The name does not even sound like the name of a bank.

I may not be the brightest bulb in the box and I know that according to some I'm just a lowly white trash worker, however-

Given a cup of coffee and about twenty minutes I can certainly come of with something more clever than Truist. And I won't even charge $250M a year for the effort. 

Truist, it's not clever, it's inept. 

42 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Truist, it's not clever, it's inept. 

According to Merriam-Webster on-line and the Cambridge Dictionary on-line, it's not even a word. God only knows what they think it's supposed to convey ...

altruism

(redirected from Truist)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.

al·tru·ism

(ăl′tro͞o-ĭz′əm)
n.
1. Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.
2. Zoology Instinctive behavior that is detrimental to the individual but favors the survival or spread of that individual'sgenes, as by benefiting its relatives.

[French altruisme, probably from Italian altrui, someone else, from Latin alter, other; see al- in Indo-European roots.]

al′tru·ist n.
al′tru·is′tic adj.
al′tru·is′ti·cal·ly adv.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

altruism

(ˈæltruːˌɪzəm)
n
1. the principle or practice of unselfish concern for the welfare of others
2. (Philosophy) the philosophical doctrine that right action is that which produces the greatest benefit to others

[C19: from French altruisme, from Italian altrui others, from Latin alterī, plural of alter other]
ˈaltruist n
ˌaltruˈistic adj
ˌaltruˈistically adv
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

al•tru•ism

(ˈæl truˌɪz əm) 

n.
1. the principle or practice of unselfish concern for the welfare of others (opposed to egoism).
2. behavior by an animal that may be to its disadvantage but that benefits others of its kind.
[1850–55; < French altruisme=autru(i) others + -isme -ism]
al′tru•ist, n.
al`tru•is′tic, adj.
al`tru•is′ti•cal•ly, adv.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

altruism

a concern or regard for the needs of others, entirely without ulterior motive.  altruist, n.  altruistic, adj.
See also: Attitudes
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

I'm familiar with the word "Altruism." Oh, yeah, I know some of the dictionary sites redirect you from "truist" to "altruism." That doesn't mean they're saying the two words are synonymous. That means they think you don't know how to spell "altruism." Some of the also redirect to "trust."

Some of them also offer up "truism," which is also a real word.

9 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I'm familiar with the word "Altruism." Oh, yeah, I know some of the dictionary sites redirect you from "truist" to "altruism." That doesn't mean they're saying the two words are synonymous. That means they think you don't know how to spell "altruism." Some of the also redirect to "trust."

Some of them also offer up "truism," which is also a real word.

Regardless, I'd say none of these things really go hand in hand with big banks. :roflmao:

Edit, I mean that in I think they picked a name that would sound like all of these things, without actually really pinning them down on actually being that.

1 minute ago, DirtyComanche said:

Regardless, I'd say none of these things really go hand in hand with big banks. :roflmao:

Oh, I dunno. I'd say it's a truism that big banks look after big banks.

Maybe it was just a typo from "Trust Bank" and they already had all of the stationary printed up and rather than make new stationary they just went with it.  Saved hundreds of dollars for the share holders that way.  :paperwork: