86 Beater to Better

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pete M said:

the REM is a godsend.  :L:   with 30 year old trucks, it's usually a combination of old parts that causes frustrations. 

It’s proving itself useful but I’m still have trouble figuring out why I’m running so rich. It doesn’t help that theres so many possibilities as to why this is happening. I’ll figure it out and if I can’t I’ll look to the experts here for guidance.

57 minutes ago, BeaterComanche86 said:

It’s proving itself useful but I’m still have trouble figuring out why I’m running so rich. It doesn’t help that theres so many possibilities as to why this is happening. I’ll figure it out and if I can’t I’ll look to the experts here for guidance.

My guess would be maybe an 02 sensor

57 minutes ago, Pete M said:

why not ask for ideas now?  we have a whole Tech forum dedicated to that :D 

I know I know, I have a few good threads I’m using to troubleshoot right now and if those don’t pan out I’ll start a thread.

56 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

My guess would be maybe an 02 sensor

Thats what I thought to so I replaced it and it helped but still have the issue. So I’m getting ready to rebuild the throttle body.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

I wonder if they pressure regulator is failing. Have you ran the truck long enough to see if there’s any leaks around the body? 

She can run all day long, and there’s seconds we’re it runs perfectly; o2 quickly fluctuating, actually has vacuum, closed loop, switching back between lean and rich. This is all according to the REM but it doesn’t last, also there’s no fuel leaking

So here’s a bit of an update:

My next suspect was the throttle body, specifically the pressure regulator. I noticed the injector is spraying a normal pattern but there’s fuel dripping down the butterfly when idling, seems like an excess of fuel to me. So I decided to freshen it up and see what was going on inside. 

Went with this kit from advanced:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-fuel-injection-throttle-body-repair-kit-10822/3464547-P

Cracked it open and it was a bit dirty but didn’t look horrible. 939FE2C2-FA36-4C02-BF57-D83A479CCA72.jpeg.fdb10a9854e7a05e115b1cb4c8fb56e4.jpeg

085460BF-4FDB-4C72-8CBB-DA240B4B24EC.jpeg.c8b504d2ccbc71e67831d8f0a08ac2e2.jpeg

Then I got to the pressure regulator and there was a bit of corrosion on the  piece the spring sits on. The regulator looked fine (no holes, tears or corrosion) and the springs still springy.

C0FD0AD5-63E2-4C20-AC45-446674F1A1EA.jpeg.87fb5c2a8ee85cb3da0513acc3c4ab17.jpeg

Either way I replaced everything that came in the kit and shined up the inside. It’s all back together waiting for me to adjust TPS, ISA, and Regulator. Gonna update more I just need to rent a fuel pressure gauge and wait for a day when it’s not raining. 

Wow. That’s gnarly with years of neglect. Mine wasn’t even that dirty when I rebuilt the body. Did you put the right throttle body gasket on? I accidentally put the wrong one on and had a vac leak at the little pin hole closest to the drivers side. But that’s fixed now. 

38 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wow. That’s gnarly with years of neglect. Mine wasn’t even that dirty when I rebuilt the body. Did you put the right throttle body gasket on? I accidentally put the wrong one on and had a vac leak at the little pin hole closest to the drivers side. But that’s fixed now. 

$h!+ now I’m second guessing myself, I used this as a guide:

F5501AF8-3DDF-4CE8-8B6F-D582D5A68F95.jpeg.1295c04181d067b52a4caa755cec6ad9.jpeg

This is the gasket I put on:

D94D88F9-6B15-4289-BDBD-E7C8319E46D0.jpeg.fdbfdab7628fd9e00ccd57a16305133f.jpeg

Is that not the right one?

I remember using the one above it and swapped it for a solid one. I bet if you ran your engine right now, you’ll hear a high pitched vac leak right at the base of the TB. I guessed at the time I did mine and thought it didn’t matter because I thought the base of the TB was solid until I started her up after installing the TB. 

23 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I remember using the one above it and swapped it for a solid one. I bet if you ran your engine right now, you’ll hear a high pitched vac leak right at the base of the TB. I guessed at the time I did mine and thought it didn’t matter because I thought the base of the TB was solid until I started her up after installing the TB. 

Thanks man, I’m gonna take the TB back off to get the solder out of the adjusting screw so I’ll change the gasket before putting it back. One question, did you fill the adjuster screw back in with solder or just leave it out?

Sounds like a plan. So get this. My original throttle body had the solder missing, not sure why but any service history with my truck before me and my grandfather is unknown. I had a second throttle body in which I used to swap because I broke one of the injector screws off in the body and it had the solder still over that screw. So I left it alone, I often think I should’ve put my original one on the swapped bowl but I figured it was done right and the pressure ought to be what it should be. Haven’t had any issues. Now what I’d like is to have a pressure gauge to screw into the throttle body so I can always see the pressure. 

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Sounds like a plan. So get this. My original throttle body had the solder missing, not sure why but any service history with my truck before me and my grandfather is unknown. I had a second throttle body in which I used to swap because I broke one of the injector screws off in the body and it had the solder still over that screw. So I left it alone, I often think I should’ve put my original one on the swapped bowl but I figured it was done right and the pressure ought to be what it should be. Haven’t had any issues. Now what I’d like is to have a pressure gauge to screw into the throttle body so I can always see the pressure. 

I think I’ll get the gauge before I take off TB that way I can check the current psi with the new regulator to see if it needs adjusting. I rather not adjust it if I don’t have too. Thanks for the idea, I assumed if you changed the regulator you’d have to adjust it to the new one.

Not necessarily, that screw just adjusts the tension of the spring that pushes on the diaphragm. Changing the diaphragm doesnt mean you have to adjust it for pressure. Now if you had to change the spring and that little metal bowl thing, then I would imagine it would need to be adjusted properly. No problem. Hopefully all your problems will be solved. If you do the fuel pressure gauge, let me know what all you cobbled together for it as I'd like to have it when diagnosing issues.

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Not necessarily, that screw just adjusts the tension of the spring that pushes on the diaphragm. Changing the diaphragm doesnt mean you have to adjust it for pressure. Now if you had to change the spring and that little metal bowl thing, then I would imagine it would need to be adjusted properly. No problem. Hopefully all your problems will be solved. If you do the fuel pressure gauge, let me know what all you cobbled together for it as I'd like to have it when diagnosing issues.

Thanks, time will tell. Ill cob together some assortment of fittings and keep track of what I use if I end up not renting. Might be a good tool to have even if I only use it once.

• 2 weeks later...

So continuing the saga of running rich:

I swapped the correct gasket onto the throttle body, it did run a smidge worse with the first one I put on. Once that was back together I got to work checking the fuel pressure. Ended up buying a test kit and fitting that threads onto the test port. It’s not a Schrader valve but it threads right in to the throttlebody test port so you can slide a hose with a clamp right on.6B8A5158-DD2C-46D4-8EDB-91AC99366CCB.jpeg.982c45f1b64b2ecdc0a3a3ea8f68277b.jpeg

C32805BE-667A-4576-A5E7-A631889BFED2.jpeg.4a689e893631e21f677cb49d6157ab08.jpeg

5CE1166C-A0C9-4649-B7FF-746840A77EC4.jpeg.c581292547fc82200317da59639cbfa1.jpeg

Works like a charm, so measure the pressure and it was about 16 psi, looking for 14 psi.
2B6A7DDA-F0AC-4460-9E5F-742B4D919508.jpeg.834b0373735a11a09643c798777450b8.jpegTook the TB off to get the solder ball out of the adjuster, after a few minutes with no success I pulled another bowl off a spare TB I had and rolled the dice that it was adjusted properly. Thankfully it was, just a hair over 14. Also putting a new PCV valve cause it was $2 and why not.78B43BBE-FA4A-4D6E-AA85-39AAA332CDEA.jpeg.bf5d5ce7544150a5ffea4466f14c97fc.jpeg

I think I need to come up with something better for this :shaking: 
Then freshened up all the vacuum line that go to the EVAP canister, pretty rough shape. So after all that I fired up the truck and took it for a ride and wouldn’t you know it runs quite a bit better, no more heavy gas smell and very minimum bogging at 3/4ish throttle. Still not completely there but I did learn how to read the codes on the REM from the “check engine light” and all I have is low baro pressure so I’ll be looking more into that, I also noticed my IAC reads 0 all the time on the REM. So the saga continues...

Took a brake from engine stuff to work on my leaky wheel cylinder (pun intended). No pics of that other my reminder pic of how the springs go together, also you can see how dirty it was in there after my first can of brake clean so you can imagine how bad it was before.

2A92F60C-688C-425E-83E1-43E1BD791F54.jpeg.995ab49978583d3f3574990791353308.jpeg2A388762-226F-44ED-AC54-70D51ED0E81E.jpeg.1e5a88ce4b0d12780ae83a6538c097a3.jpeg

Standard stuff, take it apart and put it back together. Got the brakes bled properly and painted the drums cause silver looks better than rust, personal preference. 
60DE947D-56BA-48BA-885B-D54B25ABC2A0.jpeg.aadd90f99d4050883ce079b3709d45e7.jpeg

I’ve been working on cleaning up my wheels cause they look like this:18921427-F574-423F-B018-E875F75572C3.jpeg.2438057975bd60676325ba139043cd05.jpeg

They look a ton better, so I’ll post some after photos tomorrow when the suns out.

Cliff hanger...:brows:

11 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

i so do not miss drum brakes. did them cylinders enough to say I'm good but prefer swapping out bad calipers. :shaking:

I’m not the biggest fan of drums but don’t really hate them either, for me the hardest part is remember how it all goes together.

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Sweet find on the fuel rail threading. Gonna have to make a pressure gauge now. 

Glad to help, us 2.5 guys gotta look out for each other. And I will say there weren’t to many options when I went so I had to get what I could.