When is a cage necessary?

Not sure if this would go here or under the tech section, but essentially my question becomes when is a full cage or roll bar necessary? I know part of it is what kind of wheeling you do but is there like a definitive line? Like do you need a cage for moab?

As most of you know the plan for my jeep was to build it as a semi-daily driver/ weekend warrior for a variety of terrain generally mud, sand and rocks.  Would a full interior cage or just like a rear main hoop was a roll bar be better? I wanted to hear the thoughts of some of the fabricators and more dedicated trail rig builds on here

Once my MJ became more of a dedicated trail rig i decided it needed a cage, unfortunately the tube i bought for it is still sitting in my brothers shop instead of on my truck were it can do me some good.

After seeing my wife roll one of our XJs, i think any Jeep could benefit from some sort of cage or roll bar, the XJ crushed like someone had stomped a beer can.

roll protection in the 80s was... technically there.  :dunno:  sorta.

strictly by the rules, most if not all general offroad parks consider a solid roof "good enough" for their liability concerns, though certain trails or styles of wheeling would need more (racing competitions for example). 

From a personal standpoint, my wheeling style is mostly slow and methodical so I consider the 2" DOM rollbar to be good enough for my truck.  If I was more aggressive I would certainly consider an internal cage or basic external (cab protection).  If I sought out the tippy lines on a regular basis, I'd go with a full external so I had a better shot of not having to swap my drivetrain all over again.  :D  keep in mind that A-pillar is very fragile and can seriously screw up your truck should it bend.

14 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

Rollbar under 11.5s ET for a hardtop. Cage below eleven seconds or 135mph if you've modified the floorpans or firewall, 10s ET if you haven't.

I love the drag specs :rotfl2:

But I know people who have drag cars and other types of race cars say that if the vehicle is driven on the street than a full cage can do more harm then good. 

I was looking at this Comanche specific kit . I have spoken to the company and I was considering the rear main hop with the harness bar though the middle. I don't know if it'll be enough protection if the jeep does roll

Or should I just go for the full cage? I do know I want to go out to moab and try my hand at crawling, so I am torn

I'm just going to put this out there for what its worth.I used to build off road race car parts back in CA.I have never seen a single loop roll bar ever do much good.exception is on the street.If your going to do it do it right do the full cage.My mentor always said go big or go home.So anything I built was braced,gusseted,and reinforced to keep people safe.I have been in several rollovers.I have flattened out roof's to the cage,and a couple of sides were they looked like pancakes,With a full cage I have always walked away with a couple of bumps.Yeah its a pain in the butt getting in and out,but it will,and could save your life or better yet someone you care about.3 thing's I always look for in a full cage. 1 a down bar from right to left in the rear hoop.2 an X in the top of the cage,and 3 some kind of bar through the door.Oh yeah,and a good 5 point harness to strap you in is a good idea.Stock seat belts are junk when it comes to off roading. Don't forget your MJ is a uni body the better the install,and the better the cage the more protection you have.Sorry about the long post,but this is my passion.When I can roll a truck 10 times at only 60 mph,and get out roll it back over an drive it off.I call that a good day.

17 hours ago, JEEP_cannible said:

I'm just going to put this out there for what its worth.I used to build off road race car parts back in CA.I have never seen a single loop roll bar ever do much good.exception is on the street.If your going to do it do it right do the full cage.My mentor always said go big or go home.So anything I built was braced,gusseted,and reinforced to keep people safe.I have been in several rollovers.I have flattened out roof's to the cage,and a couple of sides were they looked like pancakes,With a full cage I have always walked away with a couple of bumps.Yeah its a pain in the butt getting in and out,but it will,and could save your life or better yet someone you care about.3 thing's I always look for in a full cage. 1 a down bar from right to left in the rear hoop.2 an X in the top of the cage,and 3 some kind of bar through the door.Oh yeah,and a good 5 point harness to strap you in is a good idea.Stock seat belts are junk when it comes to off roading. Don't forget your MJ is a uni body the better the install,and the better the cage the more protection you have.Sorry about the long post,but this is my passion.When I can roll a truck 10 times at only 60 mph,and get out roll it back over an drive it off.I call that a good day.

I appreciate the input that's what I see myself doing is a full interior cage. Do you think the kit I linked previously is a good base to start with?

Well it look's like it would be a great start.I'm not to sure about the bar above the dash,but it probably fits better up there than down lower.I 'm only 5'11"",but noticed a lower bar would cut down on my leg room.I would have to pad a lower one,and push it up the dash and away from the dash or I would be hitting my knees all the time.I never really thought about going above the dash.