Questions from a potential MJ owner

Hey guys. I am potentially buying an MJ next weekend and had a couple questions for the experts. I'm coming from the XJ world.

1. How does the cab compare to the XJ? I am 6'2 and just wanted to make sure I'm going to fit. Unfortunately, the MJ is a few states over so I can't check it out in person before making the trip to pick it up. 

2. I was planning on swapping my current lift over. It seems like the rear leafs will not match up. Where is the best place to get new leafs? I currently run a 5.5 inch Rubicon Express with a CavFab long arm kit. What size rear leafs would I need to match the front height since MJ's are under axle?

I currently have a nicely built 2000 XJ that I'm going to swap most of my parts over to the MJ.

My swap parts are:

-5.5 Inch Long Arm Lift

-Dana 44 with ARB front axle

-Ford 8.8 with ARB rear axle

-1 Ton Steering

Thanks for your help. 

The cab is a little tighter than a 96- XJ but not bad.  It will feel about the same size as your 2000 XJ (much larger dash in 97+ XJs).  I'm 6'3" and fit just fine.  Just don't plan on wearing boots if it's a stick as you won't be able to let the clutch out all the way, at least not comfortably, sneakers work fine though.

13 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

The cab is a little tighter than a 96- XJ but not bad.  It will feel about the same size as your 2000 XJ (much larger dash in 97+ XJs).  I'm 6'3" and fit just fine.  Just don't plan on wearing boots if it's a stick as you won't be able to let the clutch out all the way, at least not comfortably, sneakers work fine though.

Great. I'll keep the boots in mind. I'm looking forward to this build and an glad I stumbled upon this forum. 

41 minutes ago, JackD said:

Great. I'll keep the boots in mind. I'm looking forward to this build and an glad I stumbled upon this forum. 

Make sure to create a build thread to share your progress.  Can't wait to see the truck.

I really like the color!  Very solid looking truck.  As I'm sure you already know, be sure to pull up the carpet to inspect the floors.

Also make sure to flip the grill right side up otherwise everyone here is going to let you know constantly until you do :laugh:

19 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

I really like the color!  Very solid looking truck.  As I'm sure you already know, be sure to pull up the carpet to inspect the floors.

Also make sure to flip the grill right side up otherwise everyone here is going to let you know constantly until you do :laugh:

Haha! I noticed that. Yes, will definitely be pulling up the carpet. It has spent it's whole life in the Reno, NV area, so hopefully no rust. 

That thing is sweet! I've never seen that color combination before but I definitely like it. What color is the interior? It would be a lot sweeter if the grille was the right way round though.

Pull up the carpet. Let it be one of the first things you do. My 89 spent its entire life in the south and the driver side floor is gone. That's most likely because of a leaky clutch master cylinder, but you just never know until you see it with your own eyes.

17 minutes ago, Minuit said:

That thing is sweet! I've never seen that color combination before but I definitely like it. What color is the interior? It would be a lot sweeter if the grille was the right way round though.

Pull up the carpet. Let it be one of the first things you do. My 89 spent its entire life in the south and the driver side floor is gone. That's most likely because of a leaky clutch master cylinder, but you just never know until you see it with your own eyes.

The interior is blue on blue. Yes, I am praying for no rust, or at least minimal. The Jeep was owned by an elderly man who apparently took great care of it. The body and interior are immaculate.