gears

there are some basic sorta guidelines... not a rulebook mind you, but guidelines.

4.0+5spd=3.07

4.0+auto=3.55

2.5+5spd=4.10

and there were some funky ones in there too so don't be suprised if its not right but thats right probly a good 85% of the time

and 94.65% of all statistics are made up on the spot ;)

If you don't have tags on the diffs; put it in neutral, jack up the rear both tires off the ground and spin the driveshaft and however many turns of the driveshaft it takes to make the tire go around once thats what ratio you have.

I did the whole jack up and spin thing. I still don't know. I only got 2 turns to 1. :nuts:

It's not the original axle and will be getting replaced anyhow but WTF?

If you don't have tags on the diffs; put it in neutral, jack up the rear both tires off the ground and spin the driveshaft and however many turns of the driveshaft it takes to make the tire go around once thats what ratio you have.

I did the whole jack up and spin thing. I still don't know. I only got 2 turns to 1. :nuts:

It's not the original axle and will be getting replaced anyhow but WTF?

If you turning it by the tires, you need to turn BOTH REAR tires at the same time or the spyder gears about half your numbers.

Pop the cover and read the numbers stamped on the ring gear. Its fool proof!!

CW

I think it's more like..

4.0 + 5spd = 3.07

4.0 + auto = 3.55

2.5 + stick = 3.55

2.5 + auto = 4.10

I have a 2.5 with a 4 spd and I have 3.55s

The 2.5L with 4-speeds had 3.54 gears, but the 2.5L with 5-speed didn't. They generally (and in later years always) had 4.10s. 2.5L with automatic often had 3.73s in the early years. Chrysler standardized on 4.10s for all 2.5L XJs, but by then the MJ was history, and there were no more 4-speed manual tranny XJs being produced.

Pop the cover and read the numbers stamped on the ring gear. Its fool proof!!

Let me think....if I remember right, you divide the small number on the ring gear into the larger one (it'll read something like 3.549637blahblahblah. Basically 3.55)

One more try:

4.0 + stick = 3.07

4.0 + auto = 3.55

2.5 + 5spd stick = 4.10

2.5 + 4spd stick = 3.55

2.5 + auto = 4.56

2.8 = anyone's guess :D

These are general rules of thumb. No guarantees.

I have seen a 2.8 with 4.56, 4.10 3.73 and 3.55 gears stock... They are just anyones guess just like you stated.

Short version........nothing, so long as you don't engage 4WD. If you do, the difference will cause bind in the transfer case, as both driveshafts will spin at different revolutions. End result will be a broken case, at the least.