Trans cross member bolt broke

So I’m in the process of changing my trans mount when one of the bolts that holds the cross member to frame shears off. The write ups that I’ve seen only show a nut and bolt on each side but I’ve discover mine is held with that and two more nuts and bolt on either side (as shown). Basically what I’m wondering is will I be okay for a week or so of occansional driving till I have this bolt drilled out and tapped? Has anyone ever exsperienced this? F094B844-E747-40E8-AFD4-EA01F421C443.jpeg.d77cc48af5fc02d0ae9ebb4bbd15e1fe.jpegF094B844-E747-40E8-AFD4-EA01F421C443.jpeg.d77cc48af5fc02d0ae9ebb4bbd15e1fe.jpeg

1D0EFA46-BA91-4A48-A768-A617E482F52D.jpeg

DB0C0CFE-67B8-411F-9CF5-49C79FCE75DD.jpeg

7E493E03-E1EF-489C-978B-322EF690E745.jpeg

7A40632C-919B-4832-9DB6-A5289F8FDF78.jpeg

3 hours ago, DesertRat1991 said:

This the same stud Matt removes in the video below. You should be able to back it out.

Thanks for the video desertrat but the bolt head sheared off and is flush with the frame. Probally gonna have to drill it out but good video nonetheless :L:

I snapped the bolts off my XJ crossmember trying to remove it.  Drove it 15 miles to a shop with just one stud/nut holding it on each side.

Had him use an air hammer to punch them out.  Ran bolts through the factory cut holes in the side of the frame rail and dropped them down where the crossmember goes, tacked them in place, then put nuts with loctite on the bottom side.

In your case you are probably fine to drive it for a little while but if you can avoid driving it, I would.

3 hours ago, Dzimm said:

I snapped the bolts off my XJ crossmember trying to remove it.  Drove it 15 miles to a shop with just one stud/nut holding it on each side.

Had him use an air hammer to punch them out.  Ran bolts through the factory cut holes in the side of the frame rail and dropped them down where the crossmember goes, tacked them in place, then put nuts with loctite on the bottom side.

In your case you are probably fine to drive it for a little while but if you can avoid driving it, I would.

Thanks I feel good about it, I took her out for a drive today and the vibration has calmed down quite a bit. Hopefully I can get it out without cutting the frame...

23 minutes ago, BeaterComanche86 said:

Thanks I feel good about it, I took her out for a drive today and the vibration has calmed down quite a bit. Hopefully I can get it out without cutting the frame...

Yeah don't cut the frame.  There is a slot shaped hole about a foot forward of the cross member you can feed bolts through.  If nothing else works and you absolutely have to cut any holes, do it from the floor pan above.

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

Yeah don't cut the frame.  There is a slot shaped hole about a foot forward of the cross member you can feed bolts through.  If nothing else works and you absolutely have to cut any holes, do it from the floor pan above.

My fault I misread your post, completely glossed over the “ factory cut holes” part. :doh:

The XJ doesn't have the two extra fasteners on either side that the MJ does, although they use the same crossmembers.

Since you mention it, I'm pretty sure I broke one of mine on one side there early on in my MJ ownership, and I don't think I ever did do anything about it. I've put quite a few miles on it like that, including some towing some fairly heavy loads, and I don't think it's caused me any problems.

Thats not to say you don't want to address it ASAP, but you're probably safe if you can't get to it right away. 

Air hammer or otherwise the broken bolt remnants and the captured nut up inside the frame out of the way.  You might be able to fish them out of that cutout mentioned in the floor rail....if not don't sweat it.  Install a nutsert into the frame along with a new bolt and done.

I wouldn't sweat driving it as is for now.  If it was an XJ that doesn't have the 2 extra fasteners per side, that would be a different story.