AX-15 synchro ?

I would recommend using Redline gear oil. They make transmission oil that does not have posi traction additives and also safe for ax-15 gear boxes.

MTL is very popular and is what i use in my 1996 f350 powerstroke zf5 manual transmisssion.

The gear oil of choice for heavy duty use.

Sorry not to answer you original question.

3 hours ago, JeepSchmidt O'Guinness said:

Does anybody know what year the ax-15 was actaully able to use gl-4 spec gear oil.... Or if they switched from brass synchro rings? 

I wasn't aware that any year was okay with GL-4. The chart at my Jeep dealership's parts room shows 10W-30 motor oil for the AX-15.

9 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I wasn't aware that any year was okay with GL-4. The chart at my Jeep dealership's parts room shows 10W-30 motor oil for the AX-15.

Agreed.  Nothing ever changed with the synchros.  If you order new ones now (I have a brand new set in a box) they are the same as they ever were.

40 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Yep.

That's what I ran in my last AX5 and that is what is in my current AX5. 

I have no idea why this gear oil debate keeps coming up. 

Yeah Redline MT90 or 10w-30.  Only acceptable things for the AX-15 or AX-5. 

From what I've read and come across, there was an incorrect factory recommendation years ago that caused this to be an ongoing debate.