I’m about to buy an MJ

If you want to swap to a bench, be warned that you're likely to lose some comfort. The bench seat is by this point usually saggy and didn't offer much of any support to begin with. I find the basic factory bucket seats to be quite comfortable compared to most car seats as long as the cushions aren't collapsed. The top-level "wingback" buckets are even better. If you're sure, you should have absolutely no problems finding someone to take your buckets off your hands, and maybe swap for a bench. Doesn't hurt that the covers look to be in excellent shape.

I agree that the truck was most likely a special order. Back then, you could order options in pretty much any combination you wanted, and you've got a fairly unusual one.

Very nice indeed with some unique features.  I'm happy for you.  

Everyone was saying to "check the floorboards" as you were contemplating the purchase.  From what I know, it's like striking gold if you pulled your carpet and you DIDN"T see any rust.  Just expect it and don't freak out too much.  Most all repairs in this area are well worth the cool, unique vehicle you're now owning.  If I ever make future Comanche purchases, I'd only probably pass on one that had near zero floor structure remaining.  Like a Fred Flintstone mobile. 

My 89 carpet had padding underneath wrapped in bag-like clear plastic.  They essentially held moisture in them once water breached them.  It was like a super moisure-ladened environment under there for who knows how long till I pulled the carpet and removed and replaced the padding.  Mine weighed more than my wife as I pulled the water logged padding out of the cab.  Like pulling a dead, limp body out of your truck--not that I have experience with that....moving on.  Your sliding glass window in the back doesn't help.  I've grown paranoid of accidentally leaving mine open, even only a crack.    Keep an close eye out on that sunroof too.

I don't want to keep going on and on with this topic, but pulling the carpet and stopping the cancer that is likely going on under there would be one of my first priorities as a new owner.  Have a plan to try your best at permanently fixing and preventing future episodes of this issue.  I chose POR-15 and multiple coats of a bed liner material once my repairs were made.   Followed by a better solution for carpet padding.

Man, I totally dig your interior by the way.  Good luck, Brother.  We look forward to hearing more from you on this very nice purchase.

12 hours ago, Minuit said:

If you want to swap to a bench, be warned that you're likely to lose some comfort. The bench seat is by this point usually saggy and didn't offer much of any support to begin with.

Totally agree with this.  My life improved so very much when i got that bench seat out of there.  Colors became more vibrant, sounds more crisp and clearer.  My posture improved and my wife actually didn't mind riding in the truck with me.  I get emotional now just talking about it.

Seriously, if you went with a Comanche bench, you'd be stepping back a notch.  I like benches and all, but the Comanche bench was poorly designed.  I can't even believe it could be comfortable when it was brand new.  I think in order to have a bench, you'd probably be better off designing a custom one yourself or pulling one from a different manufacturer and making it work in there somehow.  

Your current seats look like a blessing, man.  But I understand a bench guys is a bench guy.  My 2-cents.       

just don't buy a bench without headrests.  for some idiotic reason Jeep felt that the rear window was a good enough to prevent whiplash for YEARS:dunno: what was it, 1990 that MJs finally got headrests?  :sad2:   there are other options out there too, like the late 90s Dakota split bench that several people have swapped in.   :grinyes:  supposedly it is very comfy.  ZJ buckets too.  heck, in my mind the late 90s were the pinnacle in seat cushioning. :D  I really miss my 97 minivan's seats. :(  I almost swapped some in my Liberty, but took the easy way out and put in some KK seats which are... good enough.  certainly better than the rock hard KJ seats I had before.  

2 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

Totally agree with this.  My life improved so very much when i got that bench seat out of there.  Colors became more vibrant, sounds more crisp and clearer.  My posture improved and my wife actually didn't mind riding in the truck with me.  I get emotional now just talking about it.

Seriously, if you went with a Comanche bench, you'd be stepping back a notch.  I like benches and all, but the Comanche bench was poorly designed.  I can't even believe it could be comfortable when it was brand new.  I think in order to have a bench, you'd probably be better off designing a custom one yourself or pulling one from a different manufacturer and making it work in there somehow.  

Your current seats look like a blessing, man.  But I understand a bench guys is a bench guy.  My 2-cents.       

I have it on good authority from my mother, who was around the truck since it was brand new, that my original bench was never comfortable. She was much happier with the Eliminator seats I have now. On long trips with the bench, I couldn't make it an hour without some kind of pain. Now it's up there with the best car seats I've sat in.

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

there are other options out there too, like the late 90s Dakota split bench that several people have swapped in.   :grinyes:  supposedly it is very comfy. 

Yes sir Pete.  Done it.  My backside now feels delicately coddled, as if enveloped in a warm soft intimate bosom. 

Highly recommend the Dakota split bench. 

10 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

Yes sir Pete.  Done it.  My backside now feels delicately coddled, as if enveloped in a warm soft intimate bosom. 

Highly recommend the Dakota split bench. 

Can you post a picture? I like the look of the bench better than the buckets and that may be something I’m interested in. The driver side seat on my truck has a small tear in it, which is extremely disappointing.

8 hours ago, B_Mulls said:

Can you post a picture? I like the look of the bench better than the buckets and that may be something I’m interested in. The driver side seat on my truck has a small tear in it, which is extremely disappointing.

Here they are before install and before a thorough cleaning;

seats.jpg.610f16408d6c1a8907fa0fa3bc155e7d.jpg

The write up is on page four of my build thread:  https://comancheclub.com/topic/54081-coolwind57s/

It took some work, but TOTALLY worth it.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, Eagle said:

Oops. No, not a pun and not intended ... a good, old-fashioned typo. Should have read "keep." Stick around here and you'll see that I'm the world's worst typist.

"Crashing" is when the synchronizers are worn so when you shift gears you get a big "clunk" instead of a smooth shift. The BA 10/5 is especially naughty for second gear ... I really have to granny shift second.

My experience has been that 1st to 2nd, especially when cold is a real bear and takes some finesse.  Downshifting not a problem. And 1st to 2nd gets easier once the transmission has warmed up some.  This started at about 45k miles.  I had a '91 XJ that eventually developed the same issue, just after many more miles and to a lesser degree of difficulty in use.