Value of a '86 2.5 5 speed drivetrain

masimmons25

I'm looking for some advice on the value of the parts I'm removing from a '86 2.5 4x4 with a 5 speed.

I'm swapping in a TDI ax15 and 242 so the engine trans and transfer case are going.  Not positive on accessories yet but I'm pretty sure none of the original equipment will be reused (simultaneously doing a 97+ swap which should provide everything else)

I've been hearing more and more that parts for the early 2.5 are becoming hard to come by and I would like to recoup some cost. I read some posts saying I'll get better returns if I break the whole engine down and sell it piece by piece but this could take a while.

Sorry I've been rambling a little, just looking for any advice from anyone who's gotten a good return from parting out their unneeded parts, bonus if it's related to the early 2.5

Thanks

Edit* sorry if this doesn't belong in the pub, I just didn't think it fit in modifications and repairs.

Yes, you'll make more money breaking it all down. 

I got $150 for the block, $80 for the rods and gave the crank away with it. 

$150 for the intake/TBI.

$85 for the AC bracket. 

$25 for the timing cover. 

$30 for the oil pan. 

Trans is worth $75..........more if newer, $125 if you break it down to the gear set. 

It all depends on how you sell, to whom you sell, how you promote.......etc..........

Your plastic VC is worthless.............if you had an aluminum one it would be worth $80. 

Good flywheel is worth $50. 

Head I sold for $100 and shipped it. 

You'll have to be willing to hold for a while. 

There is someone here looking for the AC delete bracket.........if you have one. 

PS pump pulley will be worth $30+++

PS pump bracket is worth $60.   If you have serpentine........these are the hard to find parts. 

I've got a fully dressed '87 long block sitting on a pallet in the barn up in PA......it's been there probably 10+ years now.  I'll give the whole thing away to anyone who can use it, but I won't/can't ship it.  It would need to be picked up.

On 3/15/2019 at 11:33 AM, Eagle said:

I guess I need to pull the drive train out of my '86 XJ 2.5L before I send the hulk to the boneyard.

yes, yes you do.  or at least strip it clean of all you can fit into a big tote.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:59 AM, masimmons25 said:

I'm looking for some advice on the value of the parts I'm removing from a '86 2.5 4x4 with a 5 speed.

I'm swapping in a TDI ax15 and 242 so the engine trans and transfer case are going.  Not positive on accessories yet but I'm pretty sure none of the original equipment will be reused (simultaneously doing a 97+ swap which should provide everything else)

I've been hearing more and more that parts for the early 2.5 are becoming hard to come by and I would like to recoup some cost. I read some posts saying I'll get better returns if I break the whole engine down and sell it piece by piece but this could take a while.

Sorry I've been rambling a little, just looking for any advice from anyone who's gotten a good return from parting out their unneeded parts, bonus if it's related to the early 2.5

Thanks

Edit* sorry if this doesn't belong in the pub, I just didn't think it fit in modifications and repairs.

I would love to have the valve cover if it is the aluminum cover in good shape, I have an '86, 2.5l 5sp 4x4 & can not find a aluminum valve cover to save my butt, would like response or help on this issue. I leak oil through the oil fill cap because the plastic valve cover oil fill cap does not fit tightly so oil seeps up through the oil fill cap..

Just now, charlierebel1967 said:

I would love to have the valve cover if it is the aluminum cover in good shape, I have an '86, 2.5l 5sp 4x4 & can not find a aluminum valve cover to save my butt, would like response or help on this issue. I leak oil through the oil fill cap because the plastic valve cover oil fill cap does not fit tightly so oil seeps up through the oil fill cap, thnx, CharlieRebel1967

24 minutes ago, charlierebel1967 said:

I would love to have the valve cover if it is the aluminum cover in good shape, I have an '86, 2.5l 5sp 4x4 & can not find a aluminum valve cover to save my butt, would like response or help on this issue. I leak oil through the oil fill cap because the plastic valve cover oil fill cap does not fit tightly so oil seeps up through the oil fill cap..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Used-Jeep-Wrangler-YJ-Valve-Cover-2-5L-4-cylinder-1991-1995-93y/223447439891?hash=item3406815a13:g:XBQAAOSwPaBciV-m