Continuing O2 failures

22 hours ago, JMO413 said:

And if I'm reading this right mine is rich beacuse the 746 injectors are 20.2/lb and stock injectors are 23.2/lb? So the ECM is compensating? Sorry too high Jack your post. Just want to understand this fuel trim thing.

I have always read that the Renix 4.0L injectors are 19.x lb/hour. The 746 injectors, at 20.2 lbs, should be close enough that the difference wouldn't show up in practical application.

All of which begs the question of whether the flow rates are measured at the same pressure ...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't the ECU read the data from the sensors MAP, O2, CTS, and adjust accordingly especially if we are talking about fuel delivery? To little fuel longer duration of the pulse width, to much fuel shorter duration of the pulse width. If a given injector delivers x amount of fuel per hour at a given pressure, and the fuel delivery is to much or to little isn't that what the ECU is suppose to compensate for?

9 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

I would think the range in which it is able to compensate would be very limited.

Its range of authority.

O2S is boss. MAP, TPS, ECT & MAT values are used at every given time to determine INJ pulsewidth (ms). This determination goes to a lookup table and picks the correct INJ PW (ms) value for each engine condition. Rate of change also plays into this lookup (MAP & TPS). This type of fuel strategy is called Speed Density. Only the O2S through STFT & LTFT can add or subtract time (ms) from the fixed lookup values.

6 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Its range of authority.

O2S is boss. MAP, TPS, ECT & MAT values are used at every given time to determine INJ pulsewidth (ms). This determination goes to a lookup table and picks the correct INJ PW (ms) value for each engine condition. Rate of change also plays into this lookup (MAP & TPS). This type of fuel strategy is called Speed Density. Only the O2S through STFT & LTFT can add or subtract time (ms) from the fixed lookup values.

Let's assume a given injector has a specified flow rate @ 41psi, your fuel pressure is (for whatever reason) @ 36psi. 

Fuel is not atomized appropriately, excess fuel cannot be burned, O2 senses rich condition. 

Just how much can the ECU adjust or compensate? IOWs you are operating outside a given set of parameters?

9 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Just how much can the ECU adjust or compensate? IOWs you are operating outside a given set of parameters?

Regardless of the cause, ECU uses 0-255, starting at 128 (STFT or LTFT) to determine if it needs OPEN loop or if engine can stay at CLOSED loop (with O2S feedback).

3 hours ago, JMO413 said:

Screenshot_20190307-172623.png.c7919f4e709b386f8f6a50923c9a7895.png

If I'm reading this correctly 0 is ultimate rich and 255 is ultimate lean. This is a screen shot out of the Renix infection manual. So hopefully it right.

And if I'm reading this right mine is rich beacuse the 746 injectors are 20.2/lb and stock injectors are 23.2/lb? So the ECM is compensating? Sorry too high Jack your post. Just want to understand this fuel trim thing.

JMO, that info I posted on stock injectors running at 23.2/lb is incorrect, unfortunately I don't even remember where I came across that as I was reading multiple sources of info on different forums when I was researching 746 injectors. As Eagle pointed out above, the correct rate on stock 1-hole injectors is 19+/lb. Sorry to add to your confusion. 

LTFT should store unless you unhook the battery. I had mine unhooked today and it reset to 128. Mine LTFT was at 90 before. I drive it 40+ miles today after I hooked the battery back up. There LTFT is back at 90. I don't know where but I read somewhere, if you drive 20 minutes at 40+ mph it was the learn for the Renix ECM. Not sure if that's true but it's far enough to set a new LTFT. 

Which truck is the scanner video from? Just wondering you data is very similar to mine.

The truck is my Eliminator, the 89', 4.0L, automatic. Just checked mine again, LTFT is at 97. I did do a key off, after checking, and then started up again stayed the same 97.  I don't think I drove 40 miles over 40mph.

28 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

LTFT should store unless you unhook the battery. I had mine unhooked today and it reset to 128.

Must have some kinda memory, possibly KAM. Yours is a 90 ECU? 

Interesting question. I don't know it could be coincidence or part of the programming. I do have a 90 ECM in mine and I believe 89/90 are there same ECM. Have you modified anything from stock? I have 746 injectors and a bored throttle body.