Swapping a 1978 Sunrader Shell onto a Comanche? Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, rideordie said:

is it worth it to hold out for a 4.0L? 

Yes. There are no advantages to the GM 2.8L in any way. The only good thing about a 2.8L equipped truck is that it's fairly easy to put a 3.4L L32 out of a Camaro in one, which is still a less powerful engine than any version of the 4.0L.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...crazy conceptual idea but figured I'd hit you guys with it. 

I've been finding some J10's pretty close to where I live for surprisingly cheap. Those clunky v8's arent really what I'm looking for given the low gas mileage but with the weight the truck will have to support once I build out the Sunrader portion the beefier axles and what not are appealing as I will likely need to upgrade those anyways should I go with a Comanche. I also have a buddy who has a solid running Mercedes with a OM617 turbo diesel which I know is a pretty popular conversion I could swap into the (conceptual) J10.

My questions - Does anybody have the rear of cab to center of rear wheel measurement or at least a close guestimate of what it may be? Has anybody done this conversion and how do they feel about the outcome? What would the cost be to swap the engine if I were to have somebody with a bit more knowledge do it? 

Sorry for all the questions but not the easiest info to find apparently. Just trying to weigh out all my options for the best outcome :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, just wanted to give you a quick update. I have the Sunrader Camper totally gutted and have been on the hunt for a Comanche. I don't see too many around my area of Florida, most seem to be up North so its been a process.

I recently was talking with a guy that rebuilds these Sunraders and he has been telling me to stay away from a Comanche because of the uni-body / frame design. Would you guys agree with that? The shell weighs about 700lbs gutted so am I looking at major structural flaws once I have it mounted / built out? I honestly was so set on getting a comanche for this project but now I'm having second thoughts :confused:

5 minutes ago, rideordie said:

Would you guys agree with that? The shell weighs about 700lbs gutted

If you plan on cutting out the back of the cab..........then yes, I agree. 

And I'm guessing here........but...........loaded/built-out and wet my guess would be about 1800lbs...........you are pushing it. 

The purist in me would prefer not to cut out the back of the cab but for its intended use I kind of have to. I was thinking of just removing the rear window and (maybe) cutting a vertical section that would be about 2.5-3' in width. Would that be too much compromise in the cabs structural integrity? 

And yeah, your 1800 lbs estimate is a safe number to be working with.

My intention was to of course beef up the suspension and axles on the comanche when married to the Sunrader.  

2 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Be thoughtful about it and just do it. 

Yeah I definitely have put so much thought into it but I don't have a ton of money and certainly don't want to put myself or my riders in a dangerous situation. Any and all opinions welcomed please and thank you 

1 minute ago, rideordie said:

Yeah I definitely have put so much thought into it but I don't have a ton of money and certainly don't want to put myself or my riders in a dangerous situation. Any and all opinions welcomed please and thank you 

Assuming you assemble it correctly, I don't think it's matter of 'safety' so much as it is likely to cause stress cracks and fatigue to the cab which is part of the 'frame'. You'd see stress at the corners of the windshield or possibly a crack in the windshield itself over time. 

Common to have cracks around the rear window just from normal use and age. 

2 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Assuming you assemble it correctly, I don't think it's matter of 'safety' so much as it is likely to cause stress cracks and fatigue to the cab which is part of the 'frame'. You'd see stress at the corners of the windshield or possibly a crack in the windshield itself over time. 

Common to have cracks around the rear window just from normal use and age. 

Yeah that makes sense. I would assume I would be reinforcing the cab around that rear wall where the camper and cab meet just for more structural stability as well. I was bummed when this guy was telling me this cus not only would it be so frickin cool but the comanche just seems like such a good candidate as well. Thanks for the info man, greatly appreciated :L:

Hard to say, I was talking to him on instagram but he was saying hes had a comanche and he builds out these campers all the time (and in a way that I'm intending on doing so as well) so thats why I'm actually taking his opinion into serious consideration...

Do people actually travel between the seat and the camper?  what's the purpose of cutting away at the cab?  honestly I think the comanche would make a good candidate because of how stiff the chassis is as a whole.  :dunno:

00l0l_gwgYISCPcWU_1200x900.jpg.494f46e3b

Yeah you can, its kind of a squeeze but its definitely convenient.  My friends and I are big skateboarders and we travel all over to skate so my main reasoning for having the cab flow to the camper is mostly just so we can all hang out and talk while were on the road for long periods of time

Go for it.  Take your time and think it out like others have said.  Yeah you'll need to beef up the suspension but that's easily doable.  

As for cab strength, brace the cab when you cut it and add some permanent structural braces around the opening and you should never have an issue.  Honestly, you probably wouldn't have major issues just cutting into it, think of how many people have cut the top of an XJ off, or how much rust can happen on XJ/MJ without major cab deformation.  If you don't cut the main brace across the back bottom of the cab or the roof curve across the top of the rear window, it probably wouldn't change the strength much at all.  The flat sections of sheet metal is not what gives the cab strength, it's the thick areas.

There is some reason for concern but it's not like you are going to drive the truck for a year and the doors are just gonna fall off.   

12 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Go for it.  Take your time and think it out like others have said.  Yeah you'll need to beef up the suspension but that's easily doable.  

Yup, that was my initial thoughts as well. As of now I'm thinking of axle swapping a 9" in the rear and maybe a Dana 44 up front with beefier suspension all around.

12 hours ago, Dzimm said:

As for cab strength, brace the cab when you cut it and add some permanent structural braces around the opening and you should never have an issue.  Honestly, you probably wouldn't have major issues just cutting into it, think of how many people have cut the top of an XJ off, or how much rust can happen on XJ/MJ without major cab deformation.  If you don't cut the main brace across the back bottom of the cab or the roof curve across the top of the rear window, it probably wouldn't change the strength much at all.  The flat sections of sheet metal is not what gives the cab strength, it's the thick areas.

Also what I was thinking, I would only be cutting sections of minimal structural bracing and would probably reinforce it regardless just to be on the safe side.