uh-oh. Negative Camber....

Just noticed this just a few minutes ago (see pics).  Looks like I'm getting some pretty significant inner wear on both front tires. 

My understanding on MJs: 

1.  Negative camber caused by one of two things-- bent axle or bad ball joints.  

2.  Camber is non-adjustable (stock)

I've not crawled under and checked anything yet, although Big O did do a front-end alignment about a year ago.  They have a 1-year warranty, so if I'm still under a year, I may just swing by and have them rack it and evaluate.  I'm on hold with them now.

I'm leaning towards ball joints.  I'd really be surprised if my axle is bent...heck I barely go off paved and graveled roads since I've owned it.  I have less than 120k original miles and I have a couple of inches of lift and MT tires.  Upgraded my UCAs and LCAs with new ones designed for XJs.

Just thought I'd throw this out to the forum for those who'd like to share any experiences with this or would like to share advice/correct inaccuracies I have stated here.  

Passenger tire:  camberpassenger.jpg.7f1a1b4bd76d6b086775f4290f2e9256.jpg

Driver's tire:  

camberdriver.jpg.87d166fcecb98b2d7298c0b6561b0001.jpg

And both:  

camberboth.jpg.f7b1c1811789008c6aef0a1715340a44.jpg

I'm not really hearing excessive noise sounding like bearings, but I also have MT tires....  

Looks like hub assemblies are pretty inexpensive, $39.78/ea (Mevotech brand) on amazon.   Detroit Axle sells a pair for $79.95, but no PRIME shipping. 

New hub assemblies sounds much easier for me to replace than ball joints. 

Big O is putting her on their rack and I'll hear their opinion by a couple of hours.   I thank you for your thoughts, fellas.

Jack up front axle and grab the wheel and give it a good shake. If there's movement when pulling/pushing on the top and bottom, it indicates ball joint problems. Left/right will be tie rod(s). Play in all directions will be wheel bearing.

A bad tie rod end will affect both wheels, but ball joints or wheel bearings are unlikely to cause problems on both sides.

Steering tires also will wear on the inside more by nature of being steering tires. Our fleet at work has a spotty history of tire rotations, and a lot of the older tires tend to wear like that if they've never been rotated, even with nothing wrong with the truck. 

You can buy adjustable ball joints that will allow you to adjust the camber. I put them on my 86 longbox as I had the tire wear also. Just make sure you get the the set screw tight or they will turn and throw the adjustment off. Here is a link to the Moog ones. https://www.moogparts.ca/parts/suspension/alignment-parts/adjustable-ball-joints.html

50 minutes ago, RangerDB said:

You can buy adjustable ball joints that will allow you to adjust the camber. I put them on my 86 longbox as I had the tire wear also. Just make sure you get the the set screw tight or they will turn and throw the adjustment off. Here is a link to the Moog ones. https://www.moogparts.ca/parts/suspension/alignment-parts/adjustable-ball-joints.html

Good stuff, thank you.  As a matter of fact, Big O recommended that I replace one side with an off-set upper ball joint if I wanted to get my off-camber dialed in perfectly.  The technician said that my camber irregularity was so very minor but he did have to point it out.  

I was going to post their results here and I keep forgetting to bring the sheet to work to copy and paste it.  Thankfully, my problem was easily fixed by them just adjusting toe.  It was off significantly.