Project $500 XJ (Name to come)

So I have wanted a Comanche for years now and I after getting married, getting a house, etc we finally got to a point that we had some money to buy one. However since my dream of getting a Comanche I got a wife and two dogs so that doesnt really work for a single cab truck as a camping/light wheeling rig. So I found this beaut. 500 Bucks guy bought it parked it in the back yard and went to replace the heater core and it wouldnt crank and no spark. So we drove through a snow storm to go look at it get there it isnt in awful shape for 500 bucks. I had assumed the NSS was the problem but wasnt sure. Talked with the guy he hands me the keys I hop in wiggle it in neutral and it rolls over and starts and ran beautifully. Thankfully the guy stuck by his word and still sold it to me for 500 bucks and I drove it on the dolly pulled the rear drive shaft and away we went. So its currently sitting at my parents house since it was close to them and my dad has a car lift in the barn seems like a good place to start. More to come in a few weeks when the boxes of parts get delivered and I have time to go back. So $500 running driving 150k mile loaded XJ project is a go. 

50248180_10217406858178495_5955103603378094080_n.jpg

She is all in for it.............although idk if she knows of all the plans in store for it lol. First is do basic maintenance and let my younger brother drive it to his senior year of high school for a couple weeks before I make the 120 mile trip home with it. 3" lift, 31s, 17" moab wrangler wheels, JCR bumpers, I will probably fab some rock sliders and cut out the rusty rockers. Plus a few HP mods along the way. My dad worked for Roush for years so if the motor goes ever it might be due for a crazy swap to match his 71' 440 dart.

• 3 months later...

Well I finally had time to pick her up from my parents house and drove it 170ish miles home. Ran like a top at 75 the whole way home. I for sure have a vacuum leak since its stuck on defrost only the cruise won't work either. Also might have a slight coolant leak I need to track down as well. First order of business is the vacuum leak and then get the rear hatch to open.

20190512_151930.jpg

20190512_152525.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well made some more progress on the jeep and have been driving it to work still have some weird problems that I could use some help with. When you first start it after it is warm it seems to have a very in the idle and the first time it goes to shift from 1st to 2nd it has a surge that will cause it to chug. I am thinking it may possibly be the throttle position sensor but was curious what anyone else thinks? I also still do not have use of the blower doors to change the position. I tracked through the engine and don't have any vacuum leaks so I'm wondering if it is something in the heater core? I am really stumped on that and would like to be able to direct the ac again so it isnt stuck on defrost lol.

20190626_192246.jpg

20190626_192240.jpg

On 7/14/2019 at 9:29 AM, ohiostate454 said:

I also still do not have use of the blower doors to change the position. I tracked through the engine and don't have any vacuum leaks so I'm wondering if it is something in the heater core? I am really stumped on that and would like to be able to direct the ac again so it isnt stuck on defrost lol.

There is a really small vacuum line that comes out of the hvac box through the firewall right next to the heater core hoses.  Make sure it's there and hooked up.  It had gotten brittle and completely broke off my 98 and had the same problem.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, Dzimm said:

There is a really small vacuum line that comes out of the hvac box through the firewall right next to the heater core hoses.  Make sure it's there and hooked up.  It had gotten brittle and completely broke off my 98 and had the same problem.

It's there for sure so I think its between that connection and the switch connection. I am more then likely going to have to pull the dash again its looking like.

1 minute ago, ohiostate454 said:

It's there for sure so I think its between that connection and the switch connection. I am more then likely going to have to pull the dash again its looking like.

Yeah if you pulled the dash already it's definitely suspect.  Look at what you can before pulling it tho

On 7/18/2019 at 5:00 AM, Manche757 said:

Did you check actuators? 15 minute replacement vs taking dash apart. Any clicking noise? You already checked for a cracked vaccum canister?

I haven't checked the actuators but I don't have a clicking noise I did check for a cracked canister and still nothing there. I unhooked and plugged the line to check it 

20 hours ago, ohiostate454 said:

It's supposed to be a feels of temp of 120ish here tomorrow so I'm pulling it in the attached garage with an ac unit and taking a stab at it.

any luck?

• 5 months later...

Been a while since I posted an update. Took it wheeling for the first time, did fairly well all things considered, other then one hard bottom at the bottom of a hill. Sold my Summer tires from my WRX and got a lift for it. Should have that installed in the next 2 months. 

Spent this weekend redoing the headliner pretty happy with how it turned out. Also wired up some pod lights I got for Christmas. 

Plan is lift installed, diy winch bumper, and lunchbox locker for the Dana 30 by the end of February.

Also traded the WRX in for a 2014 JK so far pretty happy with that.

20191228_174401.jpg

20191228_181242.jpg

20191229_131813.jpg

IMG_20191229_180337_577.jpg

20191123_103755.jpg

20191105_175727.jpg

• 3 months later...

Finally got a lift ordered and installed need to button some things up with that this weekend. Rear leafs are shot so an add a leaf will be added for the time being then new leafs will be purchased and the add a leaf tossed in with them. Wired in some piller mount lights for it as well that I need to mount the switch for. Picked up some used 32s that are going to go on it as well. Waiting to get those mounted and the battery died sitting while I wasn't driving it and won't hold a charge worried the LEDs are leeching from it so I will have to test that out as well. Overall pretty happy with it. It would have been done and ready to go wheeling this weekend but pur trip got delayed due to covid so that gives more time to button things up which I am happy about. I also ordered a new 7"din headunit and I am using this as my test buck to start 3d printing install kits for DIN in XJs. Plan is to include block offs for the duct work you have to cut as well as spacers to fill the gaps around the outside. Still waiting for all the parts to arrive for that. 

20200415_092235.jpg

20200305_183327.jpg

20200307_173708.jpg

20200308_120125.jpg

20200307_093111.jpg

• 6 months later...

Well I finally had time to finish the lift and get the tires mounted and new head unit installed on the XJ and started driving it. Sadly notices I was loosing coolant pretty quickly and had some nice white smoke in the exhaust. So decided it was time to do the headgasket. Head was milled and got a valve job as well. Got everything back together and used the xj to pull my new project in the barn and in that 20' it promptly blew the one brake line the PO didn't replace. So that is now on my schedule for the weekend.

20200918_171954.jpg

20201009_194714.jpg

20201020_181740.jpg

20201025_172649.jpg