ohiostate454

Project $500 XJ (Name to come)

So I have wanted a Comanche for years now and I after getting married, getting a house, etc we finally got to a point that we had some money to buy one. However since my dream of getting a Comanche I got a wife and two dogs so that doesnt really work for a single cab truck as a camping/light wheeling rig. So I found this beaut. 500 Bucks guy bought it parked it in the back yard and went to replace the heater core and it wouldnt crank and no spark. So we drove through a snow storm to go look at it get there it isnt in awful shape for 500 bucks. I had assumed the NSS was the problem but wasnt sure. Talked with the guy he hands me the keys I hop in wiggle it in neutral and it rolls over and starts and ran beautifully. Thankfully the guy stuck by his word and still sold it to me for 500 bucks and I drove it on the dolly pulled the rear drive shaft and away we went. So its currently sitting at my parents house since it was close to them and my dad has a car lift in the barn seems like a good place to start. More to come in a few weeks when the boxes of parts get delivered and I have time to go back. So $500 running driving 150k mile loaded XJ project is a go. 

50248180_10217406858178495_5955103603378094080_n.jpg

Better make the XJ nice for the Mrs. 

Spoiler

I see a MJ w/5spd in your near future!:comanche:

She is all in for it.............although idk if she knows of all the plans in store for it lol. First is do basic maintenance and let my younger brother drive it to his senior year of high school for a couple weeks before I make the 120 mile trip home with it. 3" lift, 31s, 17" moab wrangler wheels, JCR bumpers, I will probably fab some rock sliders and cut out the rusty rockers. Plus a few HP mods along the way. My dad worked for Roush for years so if the motor goes ever it might be due for a crazy swap to match his 71' 440 dart.

Well I finally had time to pick her up from my parents house and drove it 170ish miles home. Ran like a top at 75 the whole way home. I for sure have a vacuum leak since its stuck on defrost only the cruise won't work either. Also might have a slight coolant leak I need to track down as well. First order of business is the vacuum leak and then get the rear hatch to open.

20190512_151930.jpg

20190512_152525.jpg

It's a 99 little rough around the edges but the local JY is having a 50% off sale this weekend so that should help me solve some of the body damage problems.

Well made some more progress on the jeep and have been driving it to work still have some weird problems that I could use some help with. When you first start it after it is warm it seems to have a very in the idle and the first time it goes to shift from 1st to 2nd it has a surge that will cause it to chug. I am thinking it may possibly be the throttle position sensor but was curious what anyone else thinks? I also still do not have use of the blower doors to change the position. I tracked through the engine and don't have any vacuum leaks so I'm wondering if it is something in the heater core? I am really stumped on that and would like to be able to direct the ac again so it isnt stuck on defrost lol.

20190626_192246.jpg

20190626_192240.jpg

On 7/14/2019 at 9:29 AM, ohiostate454 said:

I also still do not have use of the blower doors to change the position. I tracked through the engine and don't have any vacuum leaks so I'm wondering if it is something in the heater core? I am really stumped on that and would like to be able to direct the ac again so it isnt stuck on defrost lol.

There is a really small vacuum line that comes out of the hvac box through the firewall right next to the heater core hoses.  Make sure it's there and hooked up.  It had gotten brittle and completely broke off my 98 and had the same problem.

tech Qs should really go in the Tech forum so more eyeballs will see them. :L:  not everyone peruses the projects every day.