toyota 8"

I thought I had seen on here sometime ago about guys using the rear axles out of the toyota trucks as an upgrade. But I don't remember who or where and when I try to search for anything I can't find anything. So if someone could help me out I would appreciate it. I have found a rear end out of one of the dually model toyota trucks which is five lug and the removable third member. The guy wants 50 bucks for it and if it is better than the 35 I want to get it. Please help

Toy axles are, umm, different.

BrettM runs one in the back of his truggy thing.

Anyways, there's a couple different types. The ring gear actual diameter is 7.8". The splines are either 27 or 30, but I don't think the shaft size corrosponds with the dana ones. However, the shafts are said to be about as strong as D44 ones (which means nothing, there's so many different D44 styles). They have a good inner pinion bearing. But otherwise I think they're garbage.

Oh, the width on them is kinda different. 58" is the normal pre-IFS width. But if you have a dually one, I don't know. I didn't even realize dually toys were factory. I thought they were all hack jobs. I'm pretty sure they never sold them in Canada because I've never seen one in person.

• 15 years later...

Have and old Dana on my Comanche with one broken bolt on cover (held together for years with small C-clamp) and no leaks. Yay. Anyway, she's old, maybe 250K miles. 2 WD longbed I need to get up a gravel road. Works 2 out of 3 times if I have the right weight in the bed. Anyway, would like to put some sort of posi or limited slip in. Too old to put a lunchbox aftermarket in there.  Love that Toyo rears have that drain plug and I really don't need bullet proof just dependable. Looks like the later IFS are 6 lug. Any suggestions as to Toyo rears that would fit my '86 Comanche, 2WD?

Holy thread resurrection!

The 4Runner rears are close in width but many have the 6 lug patter depending on year. I might suggest just browsing your local junk yards and see what they have. Look under some of the foreign SUV’s in the 90’s. Many used some pretty tough axles (Isuzu trooper comes to mind). Several also had drop out 3rd members if that’s what you’re looking for. 

• 4 weeks later...