New stereo problems (won't turn off)

Hey everyone,

I had some time today, so figured I would tackle the stereo the previous owner put in.  It is a Pioneer DEH-6810BT.

When I pulled the unit from the dash, there were several cut wires, and a lot of them connected to things seemingly at random.  I found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR2MO2kwFug

and a diagram by Hornbrod: 

https://comancheclub.com/topic/48362-91-comanche-stereo-harness/

I went about connecting things up as best I could.  After getting everything hooked up, I had sound out of both speakers, and the radio turned on.  Great!  When I turned off the truck, the radio stayed on.  Not great!  If I don't turn the key all the way to LOCK, I can pop off the face plate and plug it back in and the radio stays off.  If I turn it all the way to LOCK, if I do the same thing, the radio turns on as soon as the faceplate is connected.  

Does this sound like I've got a grounding issue somewhere?  Ignition not sending the correct signals to accessories?  Or maybe I just botched the whole wiring more than I expected...  Anyways, any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks all.

I can't think of any grounding issue that would make that happen. If I were in your situation, I would go back and double check the wiring. Get a test light (preferred) or multimeter and make sure the wires are hooked up correctly.

You should have one wire that has 12V on it at all times. That's the memory wire. This should be connected to the yellow wire on the Pioneer harness. You should have one wire that has 12V on it any time the ignition is on. That's the "switched" accessory power wire which SHOULD be red coming from the stereo. Then there will be a ground wire. You will need to match these to the wires on the wiring harness. Do not treat any wiring diagram you find on the internet as gospel. Don's is correct to my memory but you should be verifying these things yourself with a test light or multimeter.

16 hours ago, Minuit said:

I can't think of any grounding issue that would make that happen. If I were in your situation, I would go back and double check the wiring. Get a test light (preferred) or multimeter and make sure the wires are hooked up correctly.

You should have one wire that has 12V on it at all times. That's the memory wire. This should be connected to the yellow wire on the Pioneer harness. You should have one wire that has 12V on it any time the ignition is on. That's the "switched" accessory power wire which SHOULD be red coming from the stereo. Then there will be a ground wire. You will need to match these to the wires on the wiring harness. Do not treat any wiring diagram you find on the internet as gospel. Don's is correct to my memory but you should be verifying these things yourself with a test light or multimeter.

Went through it again.  Tested each wire with a multimeter and made sure I had the right ones hooked up to each other... The first couple of key cycles (before doing the radio setup) it turned off when the truck turned off.  Then I did the initial setup on the radio (setting clock, etc) and it is doing the previous behavior.  Weird!

Try unhooking everything and only connecting the constant 12v, ignition, and ground and see if it does the same thing.  Basically just the necessary wires to power the radio, nothing else. 

Did you check that the wires coming from the truck side are actually reading what they are supposed to with the key on and off? 

It's weird that it would work normal then act up when clock settings are set.  

I will pull everything apart again tomorrow.

Basically what I did was pull the harness apart, check the power from the truck with everything off - hooked that one to the correct wire on the radio.  Then I checked the wire for power when the ignition was turned - verified it was getting power when the key was turned, but off when the key was off.  The weird thing was - when turned all the way back to "LOCK" it sent power to it again.

4 hours ago, bigmistake said:

The only position I can see labeled on my truck is LOCK.  I can take it out in most positions...  I wonder if there is just so much slop that it has to be in the perfect spot?

This happens a lot.  The cylinder wears out and it will let you turn it to the ACC position and pull the key.  Try wiggling it more, I bet the actual lock position is a bit farther forwards then you think.

Mine comes out in any position.  New lock cylinders are cheap, I just haven't done it because I quite enjoy how mine is keyed the same as the doors (using the Chrysler bisexual key), and honestly it's a handy undocumented feature to be able to start it, pull the key out, then use it to lock the door.