Let’s Get Hypothetical!!!... CJ5 Engine Swaps

neohic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The little CJ got another band aid today to push off serious thought into a drivetrain swap. Right now I’m leaning towards a 4.0 swap as I was way back when this thread started. My goal is still to turn my little CJ into a real driver... overdrive is a part of this equation. I still don’t have the wheelbase for an AX15 and still have a decent amount of room for a rear driveshaft. So much of the time I get into a dire situation and a good solution just presents itself. Fingers crossed that’s the case when the engine decides that enough is enough.  Keep juggling changing everything when the time comes or just leaving well enough alone that got it here from 45 years ago. 

Anyhow... I digress. Pics for clicks. 

5EBED2C2-DC7A-451E-9E13-B3FE82F51BCF.jpeg.31d043a2aea4048d3a4b075e45e2df44.jpeg

How about a Buick V6 with a SM 420 and swapping out the 4.27’s for 3.73’s?

1st and 2nd will be lower than your T14’s  first gear and with going to 3.73’s it would be like adding an overdrive.

Plus with the 7-1 first gear it will still crawl.

36 minutes ago, FrankTheDog said:

How about a Buick V6 with a SM 420 and swapping out the 4.27’s for 3.73’s?

1st and 2nd will be lower than your T14’s  first gear and with going to 3.73’s it would be like adding an overdrive.

Plus with the 7-1 first gear it will still crawl.

Now there’s an interesting thought. To me this feels a bit like going backwards minus the 420 though. 1972 was the first year of AMC really taking the reins and added the inline six. At times I really wish my CJ was just a few years older that I’d show zero remorse about dropping in any GM V6. Replacing an AMC 258 with a Buick 225 just feels... wrong.

Any opinions on the T5 transmission? I know they aren’t the most desirable but the majority of the driving this Jeep sees is pavement. I’d like to see this turn into a vehicle I can pick a direction and just go. If mild wheeling is in my way of the perfect campsite then so be it. 

I'd pick an AX15 over a T5.

A 4.3 V6 would swap in easily.  Push it forward a bit and you would have room.

A 4.3/SM465/Atlas combo would be pretty sweet too.  Adjust the axle gears for the highway but you'd still have plenty of crawl ratio.

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

4 banger diesel?

I'm with Pete here. Get yourself a BEW TDI and AX-15. Move the small engine forward a good bit to keep access to the tandem pump, which gives space for rear driveshaft.

1. Diesel for torque + 1st gear + low range = crawling monster.
  2. High rpm range hp (thank you German engineering) + broad torque range + 5th gear = great pavement princess.
  3. Unique (-ish?)
  4. Great mpg compared to all other options I know of.

Model your swap on THIS kit or do more of a build your own based on THIS kit.

7 hours ago, derf said:

I'd pick an AX15 over a T5.

As do I. The T5 was an option in the CJ7s and it’s the same dimensions of the T4. Part of me is hoping to just stumble across someone doing a full drivetrain swap and is looking to get rid of their 258/T5/Dana 300 combo. That’d be almost a bolt in deal. 

Guy us can wish anyhow. :dunno: