Clutch Replacement

Wondering if anyone has had a good experience with any of the aftermarket options available? I am going to replace it all. Master cylinder, slave cylinder, and the actual clutch. I have read the horror stories all over the internet about the AM parts but the OE are gone from what I can tell. The truck still has the BA10 that shifts just fine. This truck is a DD it will see snow and a little mud here and there but no extreme use. I'm replacing it because it slips and the normal the master cylinder is leaking. Just looking to see if anyone has had good luck out there!!

Edited by JMO413
Spelling

I'm sure that someone else will chime in with more experience than I have, but I know one thing for sure.  This is one area where you don't want to just replace factory parts.  IF you're still running the factory configuration, you have an internal slave.  To replace it is a lot of work, which includes pulling the tranny.  As long as you're doing that, you might as well swap in the external slave parts.  If you ever need to mess with the slave again, you'll be able to do it from outside the bellhousing.  A simple search should give you more details.  I'm still in the process of doing mine, so it's a little early for me to be making any personal recommendations on parts.

Yeah external would be nice. The truck only has 109057 miles on it. I'm hoping the peugeot can last a little while. It looks like I can get the clutch set and master cylinder in Luks from Rock Auto pretty cheap. 

13 hours ago, JMO413 said:

Yeah external would be nice. The truck only has 109057 miles on it. I'm hoping the peugeot can last a little while. It looks like I can get the clutch set and master cylinder in Luks from Rock Auto pretty cheap. 

My first '88 XJ (with the BA 10/5) is at somewhere north of 287,000 miles on the original tranny. Don't drive it like Don Garlits and that tranny will outlive you and your kids.

I used a Luk.  The slave exploded.  In fact everyone I know personally that used the Luk slave had it explode.  One guy went through 7? of them before he just lost his mind and found an external slave AX-15.

There appears to only be two slave cylinders on the market.  The Luk one and the Centric one, or plastic vs aluminum.  When I say I had a Luk fail, it was definitely Luk branded, the guy I know that burned though them tried many from different 'brands' but they were all the same (there's one factory making them, some very minor changes existed but they may have even been just batch number specific).

I went with the Centric aluminum one for the second go, and it's been good so far.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:06 AM, JMO413 said:

I would love to have an external slave but it's a peugeot and from what I can tell there's no external swap. 

the ba10-5 looks like had provisions for a external slave...

http://www.jeeptech.com/convtrans/ax15swap.html

"Inside the bellhousing of the Peugeot, it looked like it had the ability to have the external slave unit bolted to it. There was a place on the right side for a ball stud for the pivot point of the release fork/bearing such as on the AX-15. However, the Peugeot would require holes to be drilled for the studs to hold the slave unit on the side as in the AX-15."

go figure

I just recently went through all this. There is some info in my build thread and pictures from when I did it.

I went with LuK for pretty much everything. The only problem I have had so far is the master cylinder seems to have been defective and now I see it is leaking. Its only a few months old. It was a LuK unit I got on Amazon.

I am going to try another brand and replace it, but I imagine it was just a defective part.

Just read through your build. Mine sounds very similar to yours at this point. I had no idea how much could be wrong with a truck I drive 90 miles home. I still believe it was fate. I wanted a black truck with buckets and a stick. That's exactly what I got. It just came with a truck load of problems. Everything is fixable work enough time and effort!!