Axle ubolts

3 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

Is "Cut them off and buy new ones" not an acceptable answer?  Assuming he actually wants to know the socket size...

This is the absolute correct answer.  They are torque to yield so do not reuse them after they have been installed. 

OP if you are looking to replace them, cut them off and order ubolts made for your axle, they should come with new nuts.  The nuts you need won't be at a hardware store.  You should have the correct size wrench in your toolbox for the new nuts.  If not, use calipers or tape measure to find the size you need as replacement nuts may not be the same size as factory. 

When I need axle U-bolts I get them made up on the spot at a local spring shop. They come with double-thick washers and double length nuts. I can get 9/16" from them, but I've settled on doing 1/2" for both XJs and MJs. A 1/2" U-bolt is slightly larger than the stock 12mm for an XJ, and IMHO a 1/2" that's brand new is probably better than a rusty 14mm that's been torqued and possibly retorqued.

I'm for dropping the coin for new local as well. My spring shop makes excellent U-bolts in any length or size I want. Indianapolis Spring and Axle is the name and I believe they are affiliated with Dayton truck accessories. I have custom stainless steel brake lines made there as well that makes routing brand new passenger cowl lines for mj/xj a 2 minute job and the rear for an mj as well.  The front custom line was only like $20 bucks with a foot of stainless hard line on both sides and flex in the middle. Best thing I ever done. The right counter guy there is a jeeper and if you get him the price is ridiculous cheap:brows:. He use to work the custom hose side of things there. There was a newer guy on the other side wanting an mj that has hooked me up with center pins and other parts as well a while back when I was trying to build a custom mj leaf pack early last spring.