Split Dashboard

There are two kinds of MJs. One has split dashboards and the other will have split dashboards.  Repairing 30 years old splits is a temporary patch holding off the enevitable.  Carpet like covers do not look like much.  Has anyone formed new ones out of neoprene or some other material?  Some clever person must have succeeded with this.

4 hours ago, Manche757 said:

There are two kinds of MJs. One has split dashboards and the other will have dashboards.  Repairing 30 years old splits is a temporary patch holding off the enevitable.  Carpet like covers do not look like much.  Has anyone formed new ones out of neoprene or some other material?  Some clever person must have succeeded with this.

There are companies out there that will restore your dash padding and it's vinyl cover, but you must ship them the dash to have the work done.   I don't know this for a fact, but I would bet it's not an inexpensive proposition, either.  I guess it depends on how close to OEM you want the dash to appear when done.   Do a search for "dash panel restoration" and you will find some links to such companies.

As an alternative, if you are willing to practice on your dash, they make kits of materials that can repair/restore what you have.   The key to the sucess will be in the guy doing the work, which I assume would be you.  Here is one source of kits:

https://www.polyvance.com/Repair-Cracked-Dashboard/

I replaced the dashboard in my '92 when I purchased it from a good donor from the wrecking yard. Not too difficult a job (especially if you are doing HVAC work). Just remember to pull off your VIN plate and attach it to the replacement dashboard.

3 hours ago, Gjeep said:

I replaced the dashboard in my '92 when I purchased it from a good donor from the wrecking yard. Not too difficult a job (especially if you are doing HVAC work). Just remember to pull off your VIN plate and attach it to the replacement dashboard.

This. I've done it on both of my trucks now. The VIN plate is easily removed with a heat gun and will snap right into place on the replacement dash. Just heat up the area around the VIN plate and once the plastic is heated enough to be pliable, the VIN plate will pop off with the rivets still in it. No need to drill anything.

DISCLAIMER: check your local laws to make sure doing this is actually legal. In my state it is, as long as there is no intention to defraud.

Thanks for the tips.  JeepDriver that link looks awesome.  I am on the eastern edge of the continent and they are on the western edge. The dashboard would have to be shipped to them and they ship it back.  Have you, or anyone else here, had any experience with them?  

No, I don't. 

If shipping is an issue............check around in NJ, with the hot rodder community there. 

Mine is in good shape, if I had to have my done I'd have no worries about those folks in CA doing my dash, from the vid it looks like they've got the program down. 

I'd expect to pay $7-800, shipping would be about $150 round trip. 

I work hard and save my pennies......separating the boys from.............

I've got to have my seats and door panels done, local, I expect to pay $1500. If you want it done get it done. 

• 1 year later...

I have E-mailed Coverlay and Dashskins, both make covers for all the popular trucks Dashskins returned email saying XJ and MJ products were not on their radar at the moment.I have seen the covers and look a lot better than carpet. I would encourage CC members to contact these companies to let them know that there is interest in such a product for our trucks