Hurricane Florence

HOrnbrod

I'm in dead center North Carolina. Mine is currently at the dealership where I've been working on it since June trying to get my lift finished up. I thought about bringing it home, but then I thought, with all the trees at home, it would be safer in the wide open parking lot at work. That and I don't have full coverage on it like I do my other 2 cars. So it should be safe right where it's at.

I live in Viginia Beach, right on the Atlantic ocean for those that don't know. The highest natural point is 88ft above sea level. Most areas are not near fhat. I was at the southern end of Hatteras Island over this past weekend. The shift of Florence south is good for us but bad for those south of here. Multiple people will die in this storm.

5 hours ago, Manche757 said:

I live in Viginia Beach, right on the Atlantic ocean for those that don't know. The highest natural point is 88ft above sea level. Most areas are not near fhat. I was at the southern end of Hatteras Island over this past weekend. The shift of Florence south is good for us but bad for those south of here. Multiple people will die in this storm.

Keep your eye on that southern "shift".....it might just not pan out like all the models are thinking it will.  NHC keeps flattening the track with every update.  It's still going to impact NC/SC and drift west but might hook back north and east sooner than currently anticipated.

If it gets too hairy for you guys down there, or for anyone in NC or points elsewhere......my house up here in Richmond is open to all.  I've got a whole house generator and full supplies (too much to list here, but trust me, I have it:brows:)

Plus I bought 2 extra cases of beer, lol.  After Isabel raped us back in 2003, beer was universally unavailable around here, anywhere.

mjeff, if you keep that kind of goodwill up, the CC is going to get a very good reputation.  Pete M might become swell headed.  Very nice offer.  Stores here were kind of nutty the last few days.  The hottest of commodities are bread, bottled water and peanut butter.  Whole shelves stripped bare of many thing.  Women in high heels carting out cases of beer.  Water now flows under the place on Hatteras Island, NC that I stayed in last weekend.

I was down in Raleigh last week for work the day before it made landfall.  The evacuation process was pretty crazy and Raleigh is pretty far inland.  I know it's always better to be safe than sorry, but the news stations and meteorologists really got on my nerves during this one.  Every station is trying to be the first one to break important news and their fact-checking is non-existent and they just wind up spreading misinformation.  I remember watching Fox News and they posted a headline at the bottom of the screen that said "More than 500 million without power in NC."  I guess there must be a lot of undocumented citizens there that the US Census is unable to count when calculating the total population of the USA.

A friend of my family lives in Morehead, NC and we just made contact with him a couple days ago.  He didn't say much, but by the sounds of it he lost his home and everything in it to the flooding.  He also just bought himself a nice retirement gift - a 50+' Viking Sportfish.  He hasn't been able to get to it to determine its fate, but he fears the worst.  I extended an offer to drive down this weekend to help with whatever he needs but he said there's nothing he can do right now.

With the amount of damage caused by flooding it's going to take forever for the insurance companies to sort this all out.  Going to be lots of people that the insurance company's will leave high and dry too.  Donations are probably the best bet for many.