Comanche Dump Truck??

ComancheKid45

I didn't see him give us a price for the system, but that would have been nice in my 86 when we were hauling dirt and mulch to the house. :D Probably costs more than my truck did. :roll:

Jeep on!

--Pete

I watched that, right up to the point of the....airbag..... :roll:

Jeff

???? The airbag is ingenious. It's simple, powerful, and is used extensively in big rigs. The new thing in offroad recovery is a big fat orange airbag that uses your exhaust to lift up the truck. I think it's an ARB product.

Jeep on!

--Pete

I watched that, right up to the point of the....airbag..... :roll:

Jeff

???? The airbag is ingenious. It's simple, powerful, and is used extensively in big rigs. The new thing in offroad recovery is a big fat orange airbag that uses your exhaust to lift up the truck. I think it's an ARB product.

Jeep on!

--Pete

Not to mention Fire Departments and Rescue Squads have used them for years.

Now that u mention it.....A Comanche Fire Unit would be awesome! 8)

Lots of FC fire units, and some CJ ones. I saw a LJ 'Boobwatch' ooops, sorry 'Beach Patrol' one on TV yesterday.

Edit--> Did a Google search. Literally found a 'Fire' Variant of every Jeep model except the Comanche.

rant mode <>

I know the power of airbags, I'm not disputing that fact. I actually used HPLV airbag systems as a firefighter back in the day. They are awesome, and the ones I used were operated by a single hi pressure SCBA bottle (the things FF's use to breathe inside fires). That right there is proof of the system's effectiveness.

I just have a bias toward that show is all. In fact, most all the "builder" shows on TV these days, 'cause they do nothing more than bolt new aftermarket crap onto BRAND NEW vehicles (the kind with no rust, and the factory fasteners aren't even 2 weeks old). A monkey could do what they do....

I used to be a huge fan of Junkyard Wars way back when it first aired, because they truly scavenged junk up, boogered it together, and made something functional out of it all (kinda like I did with my MJ). Then, certain vital build parts started getting "planted" for the teams to find, so it wasn't such a challenge anymore, and some unique concept thing could be built within the confines of a one hour TV show.

But I digress.....that Trucks! episode caught my eye/ear when I saw the preview, and I started to watch it expecting a good old-fashioned hydraulic-piston/cylinder apparatus, with a HD pump powered off the engine, kind of thing. Then I saw a bolt-on air compressor thingamajig contraption getting bolted in, and that was it for me.

YMMV :D

rant mode <>

Jeff

rant mode <>

I know the power of airbags, I'm not disputing that fact. I actually used HPLV airbag systems as a firefighter back in the day. They are awesome, and the ones I used were operated by a single hi pressure SCBA bottle (the things FF's use to breathe inside fires). That right there is proof of the system's effectiveness.

I just have a bias toward that show is all. In fact, most all the "builder" shows on TV these days, 'cause they do nothing more than bolt new aftermarket crap onto BRAND NEW vehicles (the kind with no rust, and the factory fasteners aren't even 2 weeks old). A monkey could do what they do....

I used to be a huge fan of Junkyard Wars way back when it first aired, because they truly scavenged junk up, boogered it together, and made something functional out of it all (kinda like I did with my MJ). Then, certain vital build parts started getting "planted" for the teams to find, so it wasn't such a challenge anymore, and some unique concept thing could be built within the confines of a one hour TV show.

But I digress.....that Trucks! episode caught my eye/ear when I saw the preview, and I started to watch it expecting a good old-fashioned hydraulic-piston/cylinder apparatus, with a HD pump powered off the engine, kind of thing. Then I saw a bolt-on air compressor thingamajig contraption getting bolted in, and that was it for me.

YMMV :D

rant mode <>

Jeff

While I agree with you on most of your rant. I do have one bone to pick.

This show is produced by someone, for the purpose of making them money. The 'projects' selected for these shows, are to advertise a companies products. Remember the FSJ project. And how ALOT of the parts used came from BJ'S OffRoad? Well, the FSJ belongs to BJ's OffRoad, and they use it as an advertising tool. Your not going to see any 'scrounged' projects. Its not going to sell parts.

yeah...I know. But it's depressing. At the least, they could make it more realistic by using a vehicle that had some years of road-time on them. I'd love to see them deal with a snapped off UCA bolt inside an XJ framerail, or a rusted to death unit bearing, once in awhile :-D

They did one episode IIRC with an ancient Dodge p/u that had no floorboards left in it. That one was pretty good watching.

Jeff

Well, I would like to see projects with road weary vehicles also.

Four Wheeler TV was better about that. But it hasn't been on lately.

But, I will continue to watch Trucks!, and even the bastard-ized Extreme Catalog Shopping on before it. And enter such in my stupid Nielsen diary thing every week. Gotta keep anymore 'lifetime' crap off what little of the air I actually watch.

They need an overhaulin style show for offroad vehicles, Pick some poor guy (or me :D ) who just empties every pocket to keep his junk on the road and dreams of one day fixing it up for the trail. fill in the rust, slap on a durable coat of paint/bedliner, lift, tires, axles, bumpers, winch, hydrolic truck bed for kicks and giggles... etc.... bring him in for the big tearful suprise when it's finished.... :idea:

Nope, starts in two more weeks.

Just new idiots as hosts. :twisted:

I guess I should say, Trucks! starts in two more weeks.

BTW, I hope Stacy's new show is on a network I already pay for. My satellite bill is high enough now.

You have to keep in mind that all of those shows be it trucks, horsepower tv, xtreme4x4, are all out here to make Spike tv money. By far the best show they have out there is chop cut and rebuild on SpeedTV. Those builders actually have skills. Not saying the other shows don't. It has all ready been pointed out that anyone can bolt parts on :wink: Extreme 4x is also cool. Even though they do have every cool tool in the universe, and what seems like an unlimited budget.

Patrick