Battery Problems?

Ok this has just started to happen reciently.

I would have to get a boost from someone to start the truck.. and it would run fine, then when I turn it off and then try to start it again I'll usually start.

but if I leave it over night and try to start it in the morning, it won't start and all you can hear is the clicking of the starter going.. I have no clue what's going on here.... anyone have a simliar problem before?

How old is your battery?

Also, the starter could be taking a $#!&. My old ranger, same symptoms, was the battery, as it had a new starter. My sister's YJ had a brand new yellow top, same symptoms, and I had to replace the starter. if you can, borrow a friend's battery for 5 minutes that's less than a year old, and drop it in, and just check it..

well the battery is actually brand new.. but I had to replace the old battery cause of the same problem..when i first got the battery I didn't have any problem at all...

but this is the second time that this has happened to the batteries in this bastard

but I do know that the battery conections are lose cause I quite frequently have to disconnect the battery to do work on the fuel tank

Get the truck running and remove the pos side batt cable. If it stalls, your ALT is not working properly and is likely your problem.

Install a new ALT and charge the batt overnight OR trickle charge for a couple days and you should be fine.

CW

Get the truck running and remove the pos side batt cable. If it stalls, your ALT is not working properly and is likely your problem.

Install a new ALT and charge the batt overnight OR trickle charge for a couple days and you should be fine.

CW

That will work just fine IF the problem is a shorted alt. If not, hook a DMM (digital multimeter) in series with the disconnected + battery terminal and the + battery cable. Use the 10A scale if it your meter has one. If you show amp reading w. everything off, you have a short somewhere that is drawing off amperage from your batt over time. Then pull fuses one-by-one until the current draw reading stops. Then you will at least know which circuit to start troubleshooting. I used to have many old Benzes that were notorious for draining the battery down over time, like a couple or three days w/o driving.

It could be a weak charge from the alternator but i think what FXracing is saying if the alt is completely dead the battery has to run the truck thus it want run forever like this and will eventially the motor will die. With that said the radio will shut off the the lights before the motor so do as stated to check for a short that could be draining the battery when the motor is off. GOOD LUCK

Cole

its not the alternator cause if it was the truck would die after a short while. try disconnecting your radio or something like that and then charge your battery

With a fresh battery, it's possible to drive normal short hops for several days without the alternator putting any charge back in the battery.

its not the alternator cause if it was the truck would die after a short while. try disconnecting your radio or something like that and then charge your battery

With a fresh battery, it's possible to drive normal short hops for several days without the alternator putting any charge back in the battery.

true but if it runs fine and then its turned off and then it just clicks then you know something is robbing power.

true but if it runs fine and then its turned off and then it just clicks then you know something is robbing power.

Or there's a poor connection at the ends of the battery cables.

well I have cleaned up the ends and made a secure connection... and today while it was pouring rain I needed to move the truck.. so I tried to jump it.. and it wouldn't giv'er tried for like 3 minutes with nothing turning over...

Used my DMM with the truck off measured 2.56v on the bat and when I disconnected the + cable and put the meter in series on the 10A scale.. it read 5A but would drop down (ie 4.5, 4 , 3.5)

could that just be the meter resistance doing that?

could the truck have not started cause everything in the bloody truck got drenched?

man I'm really starting to hate this truck..

Invest in a yellow top. I drove Pong back from tellico with a bad alt 450 miles :eek: It sounds as if you alt is not putting out enough juice, and your battery is slowly giving out.

we had to wheel the XJ off the trail with a bad alt, then idle while we filled up the tires, then drive 90 miles home jumping only like twice.

:bowdown: optima batteries :bowdown:

That will work just fine IF the problem is a shorted alt. If not, hook a DMM (digital multimeter) in series with the disconnected + battery terminal and the + battery cable. Use the 10A scale if it your meter has one. If you show amp reading w. everything off, you have a short somewhere that is drawing off amperage from your batt over time. Then pull fuses one-by-one until the current draw reading stops. Then you will at least know which circuit to start troubleshooting. I used to have many old Benzes that were notorious for draining the battery down over time, like a couple or three days w/o driving.

Listen to HORNBROD I do believe he is 100% on the money

I had an old Volvo, everytime you drove it in the rain , the next day the battery would be dead, I knew it was some sort of short, I wish I had tried this as it prolly would have helped me track it down!

Used my DMM with the truck off measured 2.56v on the bat and when I disconnected the + cable and put the meter in series on the 10A scale.. it read 5A but would drop down (ie 4.5, 4 , 3.5)

could that just be the meter resistance doing that?

could the truck have not started cause everything in the bloody truck got drenched? man I'm really starting to hate this truck..

If you measured 2.56V across the batt something is obviously drawing it down. Have you tried pulling the fuses to see of the current draw stops or stabilizes? I did disconnect my positive and put an ammeter in series just to be sure; it remained rock solid with zero draw even while auto-ranging on down the the milliamp scales on my meter. You can stick new batteries in there all day long, but if something is drawing it down it will give it up sooner or later if it sits. Can be a beetch to find sometimes; in a couple of the old Benz's I never did find the problem, just put a quick disconnect terminal on the negative side of the batt when I knew it was going to be sitting over two days or so. But older Benzes had a known defect with wiring harness deterioration, even had factory recalls to replace the harnesses on some models. AFAIK, Jeeps do not have this problem.

ok well some progress if you want to call it that...

I can get it to start from a boost

I unpluged the + cable and let it run for 30mins - 1hour and it didn't die..

I guess it musta ust been that raining day but now when I put the ammmeter in series with the + cable to the + post I don't read any current draw.. (while the truck is off)

but once I get it started from a boost. and then turn it off... wait 5 mintes and then try to start it again.. the starter doesn't engauge and all the power of the truck ust goes off... even the buzz from the keys being in there.. and the bat ends up reading just 2.56v... I'm quite puzzled..

All the connections are tighter than a nun, and I'm still haveing the same problem..