7 hours ago, Minuit said:

Group 34 will fit in the stock location. You get a little "extra" all around, depending on the exact battery you use. The factory battery hold down even fits!

They are usually cheaper too. 

^^   I looked at the group 78 and decided against it. About the same $$ as a comparable group 34 battery but way less CCA. It's a smaller side-post battery so you have to change the cables and/or terminals too.  Not worth it...

It depends on what you are after.  

Below is a temporary battery, I don't want to let a $300 battery sit for a year. 

I'm already set up for a side post as I had a gel lying down before, I like side posts. 

78s are 1 inch taller, otherwise pretty much the same. 

As for CCA, I will either go with Odyssey at 850 or XS at 1000. Both are around $300. I'm reading mixed reviews about Optima, I've had two of them and they were 'ok'. 

Here is Jegs group size chart- https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html

For $50..........at least I can start it now. 

aPdH6so.jpg

My opinion is keep a wide birth from the Optima batteries. Quality is gone since production moved. Not trying to offend anyone but quality and lifespan went out when the assembly line did. Last 2 both lasted just outside of 2 years. I think the warrenty on them use to be 5 or 7 years and is only 2 now unless its changed. I just know the last 2 made me think at least I get a better warrenty with autozone stuff and its cheaper. I also have some duralast gold batteries now that have lasted over 7 years and to this date I only have had 1 do better(think I was lucky) with a Walmart Everstart which went 10+ in my first full size truck(97 chevy z71). I have had decent luck with several everstarts actually which most have surpased the warrenty by years not a few months.

I use a 700+ CCA group 34 battery.  This stroker engine with its higher compression ratio is brutal on the starter motor and battery.  The AutoCraft Gold battery that just hit five years old has been repeatedly drained fully and still more or less holds a charge.  I will probably have to replace it in the next year.