Odd Renix No Start: Have Fuel/Spark

2 minutes ago, gilman711 said:

Mystery plug is coming from main harness as well as a small single wire (solid black) on passenger side. 

Mystery Plug Wiring

A- BLACK WITH YELLOW STRIPE

B- BLACK WITH WHITE STRIPE

C- BLACK WITH BLUE STRIPE

D- PINK WITH BLACK STRIPE

1525475725547-1223322540.jpg

That should go to the transmission, not the source of you problem. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, gilman711 said:

Yes it was but not by me. I have receipts for motor but doesn't say much information as far as what year/vehicle it was actually pulled from. 

Look up pics for Renix flywheel and HO (Chryco) flywheel, the tone rings are completely different. 

See if you have an HO flywheel, if so, that's your problem. 

1 minute ago, gilman711 said:

Do you know what for? Possibly for automatic? Mine is manual and is an original 4.0 Manual Jeep. 

From there there would be a short harness to the trans, wires for 4x4 indicator and wires for back up lights. 

Either fortunately or unfortunately it looks like it has the correct flywheel in it. That was a good thought though and I was honestly hoping that was it as yes I'd have to pull trans but at least I figured it out. 

1525477735863101012073.jpg

39 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Does it fire with a shot of ether?

He said it didn't.  It's fairly clear that it's most likely a spark issue.  Either at the wrong time or too weak.

Edit, said it didn't run with fuel dribbled down the TB.  Technically that's not ether, but I don't use ether myself...

44 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Does it fire with a shot of ether?

It seems to try a little harder with it but does not run. 

9 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

He said it didn't.  It's fairly clear that it's most likely a spark issue.  Either at the wrong time or too weak.

Is anything else that determines WHEN? It seems to be indexed properly. I have checked two different cylinders (1&3) to check for spark while cranking and both do.

I guess I could try a new coil but I feel like it would still run/idle even if had weak spark. I have had vehicles in past with weak spark and they run just at greater load will break up/misfire.

Can't thank everyone enough for help so far! 

5 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

Any ideas what was done with the engine?  Is this just a junkyard engine that was stuffed in?  Or is there any evidence it was opened up at some point?

I have a receipt from shop that put it in. It just lists it as a compression  tested/good used engine and doesn't appear to have been apart but has been resealed as far as oil pan/intake/exhaust/water pump and so forth. Looks like a clean engine overall. It was put in 2016. I personally have not done compression test on it but I guess that might be next. What are average numbers for Renix 4.0? 

Do you have a timing light? If so, hook it up, point it at the vibration damper, and see if the #1 plug is firing at or before TDC. It should actually be a few degrees before, but I don't recall how many. I know the distrubutor isn't adjustable for timing (in theory), but "back in the day" there was a factory tech bulletin on indexing the distributor to correct for incorrect timing.

3 minutes ago, gilman711 said:

How would I verify the injector harness is installed correctly? 

I had to pull it apart and look at the wires.  I think I actually compared it with my spare harness that was marked in the end...  You can only get it so wrong though, and I'd think unless they had every pair of them wrong that you would still get it to at least sorta fire, especially if you're dribbling some gas down the TB.

Does it puff black smoke or anything when trying to start it?

24 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Do you have a timing light? If so, hook it up, point it at the vibration damper, and see if the #1 plug is firing at or before TDC. It should actually be a few degrees before, but I don't recall how many. I know the distrubutor isn't adjustable for timing (in theory), but "back in the day" there was a factory tech bulletin on indexing the distributor to correct for incorrect timing.

Not sure if this test would be correct. It still don't tell if Cyl #1 is on compression. Wouldn't you get the same results if timing light was connected to Cyl #6? Still can't tell if its compression or exhaust stoke.

7 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

I had to pull it apart and look at the wires.  I think I actually compared it with my spare harness that was marked in the end...  You can only get it so wrong though, and I'd think unless they had every pair of them wrong that you would still get it to at least sorta fire, especially if you're dribbling some gas down the TB.

Does it puff black smoke or anything when trying to start it?

No black smoke. I am getting good pressure at tailpipe too as did think maybe exhaust was clogged but no. 

2 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Not sure if this test would be correct. It still don't tell if Cyl #1 is on compression. Wouldn't you get the same results if timing light was connected to Cyl #6? Still can't tell if its compression or exhaust stoke.

Honestly, there's so much WTF about this that I'd say pull the valve cover off and look at the rockers...  Make sure they're all moving, and use that to verify it is on #1 compression.

44 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Remove #1 spark plug, stick finger in hole, crank until you feel pressure. Then stop cranking.

Doesn't matter if using a timing light. The light is on #1 spark plug. Crank with the light installed, and watch the mark on the vibration damper to see what degree mark it aligns with when the light flashes. #1 plug doesn't fire when #1 is on the exhaust stroke -- at that point #6 is firing.