Odd Renix No Start: Have Fuel/Spark

28 minutes ago, Pete M said:

how strong is the spark?  my 86 wouldn't fire and it turned out to be a weak spark cause by corrosion on the + feed wire to the coil.  

That is what I am thinking must be issue as well. I did clean contacts. I ordered a new coil and a set of wires for it. The set on there looks very cheap. It will be a few days before I get to mess with it more. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***Problem Solved***

Well I'm in disbelief of what the issue was but here it is guys. It was the Airbox! I had initially cleaned TB, cleaned Airbox and installed new filter.  There is some valve in bottom of Airbox to which I'm not sure it's purpose. This valve is not working properly and is air tight when closed because if I put tube on it immediately dies. I removed the intake tube and it fired right up. Let go through heat cycle and changed oil. Sounds great and starts without hesitation.

1526060301873591001805.jpg

That valve on the bottom of the airbox is the hot air intake for cold starting. As the engine warms up, it's supposed to open and allow cold outside air into the airbox and filter. I don't know how you have it rigged up now, but it looks like you are sucking hot air from the engine bay all the time now. The hot air intake went away when the HOs came out..

Even a faulty hot air intake valve shouldn't starve the engine of air. Hooking up the flex tube killed the engine. What was inside that flex tube? Was it stuffed with 'cursed' money? Luckily, you didn't burn down the vehicle.:laugh:

Everything was clean and no blockages other than that valve. The picture shows it must be missing an elbow that probably goes towards the grill or something for cooler incoming air. Vacuum line is hooked up for the valve but doesn't appear to be working properly. I'm going to modify the lower Airbox and remove that valve and put a tube that will go into grill area. Either way I'm shocked that this was issue but also relieved!

Can't thank everyone enough for their help!

5 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Even a faulty hot air intake valve shouldn't starve the engine of air. Hooking up the flex tube killed the engine. What was inside that flex tube? Was it stuffed with 'cursed' money? Luckily, you didn't burn down the vehicle.:laugh:

I thought the flex tube was collapsing possibly but I believe I would have noticed that before. Engine runs with tube bolted to TB but not connected to Airbox. As soon as you put on Airbox it dies instantly. I was hoping a wod of bills were in tube...I double checked.