So... what changed? I can't sleep as you'll notice.

gogmorgo

Was glancing at the Wikipedia article on the XJ just now and noticed that apparently the overall length changed, more times than I expected.

In '91 it apparently gained 3-1/2", then in '94 it lost 2.

I can't even think what this would be referring to. Maybe the addition of the bumper nudge blocks? Surely those were an option for all years though...

So I did some digging, and traced the addition of the info back to a December 2007 edit by a user who got blocked in 2012 and eventually permanently banned due to a history of poor-quality photos, unsupported original research, and other disruptive edits.

Are there official specs out there somewhere? I don't really care that much and obviously no one else has bothered to care in over ten years. I just thought it was weird.

image.png

I would imagine that any measurements would include standard equipment, not anything optional, like swingout spares or hidden winches.

The early ones came with the nudge blocks front and rear, I think you'll find you two inches there. 

Neither my '91 MJ  or '92 XJ had the nudgers. I'll admit they were both far removed from new when I got them, but the XJ is so original it almost hurts... All the rubber parts under the front are even still there, as are bumper-coloured plugs for the nudger holes.

image.jpeg

My first xj, 1990 Laredo, seemed like it was made for offroad nudging the moment it got trailered home. The fluids were changed, tires were swapped with something other than bald, and off into the woods we went. On our way a mile down the road to our trails, death wobble at 30 mph on stockers. We made it to the trails, did our motocross track and next was test the bumpers. The front folded quick on a dead push of 4 inch sapling pinoak. I wouldnt trust the pushbars as long as a snowball in hell.