Junkyarding today. Needs/ideas?

1 hour ago, rosco11 said:
On 3/23/2018 at 10:12 PM, RustyRodder said:

They are hard to find- went to 3 yards.  one had 2, but were stripped of anything good. The last one has one that was 100% complete, and scheduled to be crushed 2 days earlier.  Got my seats and console from that one. 

What did you pay for seats and console? I'm trying to work a deal with a guy that has a 91xj for the buckets and console.

For the console and passenger seat I payed 70 dollars. 

On March 24, 2018 at 7:03 AM, coolwind57 said:

No problem finding Dakota seats in Louisville Pull-A-Part.  Seemed like practically every Dodge/Chrysler row had at least one Dakota with good seats in them.    As for brackets, I'm thinking of waiting to see what GrayWolf comes up with the brackets that him and a buddy may be making.  I'm out of MJ budget money for a few weeks anyhow, so I may have some time to toy with trying to fab something on my own.  I'd love to see a full write up on what others did with these seats.   

Yeah I've been following the Graywolf thread too and waiting to see what they come up with.    I'm not in a huge hurry and like you I have more ideas then money.

2 hours ago, Lthompson741 said:

Yeah I've been following the Graywolf thread too and waiting to see what they come up with.    I'm not in a huge hurry and like you I have more ideas then money.

Yep, feeling your pain bro.  Sucks being poor.  So, here's an idea I'm floating around....what if I cut into the jumper seat side sheet metal to allow it to sit lower on the tunnel.  Look at the room under there:  

jumpseat.jpg.542c0d733aa0dcae01a99665b0837846.jpg

There's like 3-4 inches of metal you can remove before getting to the foam padding.  Will probably lose the pull-out cup holder in doing this, so there's one possible disadvantage.  If you can successfully lower this jump seat, then you'd be able to lower your buckets and keep all three seats at same level.  Cutting into this thing would be pretty invasive for sure, but I think there's a good change one can pull it off well.

I think I'll have some time to play around with mounting these Dakota seats this weekend.  I sure would like to be able to use the existing floor mounts somehow.  Looks do-able.  Here's what the bench mounts look like and the Dakota mounts.  Front MJ mount (Driver's):

5aba6b4c24e9a_frontbracket.jpg.86fb5f3f7423923a392197a02f46b6a3.jpg

Rear (passenger, I think....but they look the same regardless of the side):

5aba6b4fc602b_backbracket.jpg.5c0224f0fe81e293c5745a04aae82cd4.jpg

And the underside of the Dakota seats:

seatbracketunderside.jpg.8ffe6b807a2187a751389b1bf124be41.jpg

Like I said, I'll likely roll around my truck interior this weekend to see if I might want to tackle a fab project.  

15 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Yep, feeling your pain bro.  Sucks being poor.  So, here's an idea I'm floating around....what if I cut into the jumper seat side sheet metal to allow it to sit lower on the tunnel.  Look at the room under there:  

jumpseat.jpg.542c0d733aa0dcae01a99665b0837846.jpg

There's like 3-4 inches of metal you can remove before getting to the foam padding.  Will probably lose the pull-out cup holder in doing this, so there's one possible disadvantage.  If you can successfully lower this jump seat, then you'd be able to lower your buckets and keep all three seats at same level.  Cutting into this thing would be pretty invasive for sure, but I think there's a good change one can pull it off well.

I think I'll have some time to play around with mounting these Dakota seats this weekend.  I sure would like to be able to use the existing floor mounts somehow.  Looks do-able.  Here's what the bench mounts look like and the Dakota mounts.  Front MJ mount (Driver's):

5aba6b4c24e9a_frontbracket.jpg.86fb5f3f7423923a392197a02f46b6a3.jpg

Rear (passenger, I think....but they look the same regardless of the side):

5aba6b4fc602b_backbracket.jpg.5c0224f0fe81e293c5745a04aae82cd4.jpg

And the underside of the Dakota seats:

seatbracketunderside.jpg.8ffe6b807a2187a751389b1bf124be41.jpg

Like I said, I'll likely roll around my truck interior this weekend to see if I might want to tackle a fab project.  

It doesn't look to complicated, thats the one thing I didn't like about the dakota seats is how the center seat is up higher.   Although I would mainly be using the center seat as an armrest folded down and the upholders.   The only time it would be up would be for my dogs.    It looks doable and I've thought about stripping my bench off its current brackets, and stripping the dakota bench the same way and seeing what all needs to be done to make it work.  I don't see it being more then a couple of tabs added in my mind.  But i've never had a dakota seat in my possession.

1 hour ago, Lthompson741 said:

It doesn't look to complicated, thats the one thing I didn't like about the dakota seats is how the center seat is up higher.   Although I would mainly be using the center seat as an armrest folded down and the upholders.   The only time it would be up would be for my dogs.    It looks doable and I've thought about stripping my bench off its current brackets, and stripping the dakota bench the same way and seeing what all needs to be done to make it work.  I don't see it being more then a couple of tabs added in my mind.  But i've never had a dakota seat in my possession.

Yep.  I'd just hate to lose my door-mounted armrest because I sit up too high and I'd also hate to sit at standard height, yet feel like the new center console is too high.   We'll know more in a few days when I get some time on my hands to mess around with it.  I'll take lots of pics.

On 3/27/2018 at 12:29 PM, Lthompson741 said:

I've decided to take this on myself and document as I go.  Last night I began by pulling my bench and buying a piece of angle iron.  I'll document on my build thread, "Coolwind57's".  Should have it all done by Saturday, God willing.

On March 29, 2018 at 6:49 AM, coolwind57 said:

I've decided to take this on myself and document as I go.  Last night I began by pulling my bench and buying a piece of angle iron.  I'll document on my build thread, "Coolwind57's".  Should have it all done by Saturday, God willing.

Alrighty, I'll head over there for a update.  Thanks for taking the time to post pics.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎22 at 8:49 AM, coolwind57 said:

Anything I can check out for you guys while I'm there?  Anything I should look for?  Have a need that's easy to pull that I can grab for you?

^^^ From the original post ... not the point of this thread but one thing I always do is check the glove box & console for the owners manual.   I've found 3 for XJ's and a few for TJ's.   I've also come up with a few of the original covers that they come in.   I got a really neat cloth one from a Liberty that I now keep my GPS in.  The junk yards I go to see no value in them and usually give them to you. 

On 3/29/2018 at 7:49 AM, coolwind57 said:

if it turns out ok, be sure to copy/paste and make a separate thread for it in the DIY :thumbsup: