Beginning to lose faith?

coolwind57

Been plagued with hesitation and dying problems at stop lights.  Parts cannon on-going.  More parts ordered the other day to address this.  Also parts ordered to fix my annoying, dangling exhaust down pipe--donut gasket, replacement flange bolt kit.

Walked past my truck last night and noticed a coolant leak that appears to be dripping from back of oil pan.  My blood ran cold.  I could not locate a leak source from hoses or water pump, but it was dark and cold so I need to do more inspection.  Anyhow, I feel the wind taken from my sails as I ponder if I have a bad freeze plug now.  The thought of my dropping trans and/or pulling intake/exhaust/head makes me a bit sick to my stomach.  Looks like leaky freeze plugs are somewhat common for our MJs. 

Wife kind of dislikes this truck, as she doesn't understand that I not only bought it for its utility but I also bought it for a cool project for me to tinker with and restore.  She expects vehicles to serve one purpose--to work. And anything less than that expectation makes them junk.  Can't wait to try to get her to understand why, once again, the truck can't be driven.  

My 4x4 is now acting up too.  Works, but makes tons of alarming noise when engaged.  I haven't even had the time to look into this issue yet.  Working on this truck has been fun, there's no doubt.  But I question how much more time, money and aggravation till it becomes not worth it.  

old trucks are just that, old. :( they need extra care (and money) to be all they can be.  just a fact of life.  the hope is that the fun times still outweigh the work. :thumbsup: and that ratio can switch in a hurry after a couple particularly bad gut punches.  You just need to endure.  Remember that a lot of it is in your mind.  dwelling on the negative can make bad things much worse.  I try to focus on the positive side by planning the next mods.   Upgrades are fun.  Repairs are not.  oh, did my alternator die?  well clearly now I need a higher output one!  is my t-case toast?  Well let me tally up the upgrades I can do while it's out of the truck (wider chain, bigger gears, SYE, maybe a 242 instead?)  Even if I never end up doing them, my brain maintains a level of excitement that doesn't come from boring repairs.    

:comanche:

Yea one big thing I’ve heard about the MJs, a huge upgrade so I’m told, is the wife delete procedure..I think it’s on cruisers page somewhere. Once you do that tip, everything else comes easy!

Lololol the way I explained it was the labor of love, sometimes she’s a huge pain in the @$$ but we endure because we love it, for the good times. Am I talking about women or the jeep? That’s the point....

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

ATTITUDE   :beerchug:

That's all.

This old English dude, B. Disraeli from 200-300 years ago said :

"Never Complain ; Never Explain."

With - The Comanche ; I try...

~

Instead of:

All-at-Once

try

One at a time...

My approach is usually, to first,

go stake the jack stands at the

corners.

Find all of the pans to

catch fluids and pull the floor jack. That's it for today.:beerchug:

Tomorrow, a bit more.

And on and on it goes...

* ...and there I go, explaining, again

youngfred

10 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

Been plagued with hesitation and dying problems at stop lights.  Parts cannon on-going.  More parts ordered the other day to address this.  Also parts ordered to fix my annoying, dangling exhaust down pipe--donut gasket, replacement flange bolt kit.

Walked past my truck last night and noticed a coolant leak that appears to be dripping from back of oil pan.  My blood ran cold.  I could not locate a leak source from hoses or water pump, but it was dark and cold so I need to do more inspection.  Anyhow, I feel the wind taken from my sails as I ponder if I have a bad freeze plug now.  The thought of my dropping trans and/or pulling intake/exhaust/head makes me a bit sick to my stomach.  Looks like leaky freeze plugs are somewhat common for our MJs. 

Wife kind of dislikes this truck, as she doesn't understand that I not only bought it for its utility but I also bought it for a cool project for me to tinker with and restore.  She expects vehicles to serve one purpose--to work. And anything less than that expectation makes them junk.  Can't wait to try to get her to understand why, once again, the truck can't be driven.  

My 4x4 is now acting up too.  Works, but makes tons of alarming noise when engaged.  I haven't even had the time to look into this issue yet.  Working on this truck has been fun, there's no doubt.  But I question how much more time, money and aggravation till it becomes not worth it.  

Man, I know your pain with wife who only sees car/truck as a transport appliance.  No Jeep or old car is a Maytag.  Anita has no ability to understand why I don't simply get a new Camry every 3 years, like she does.  Nothing to do with 💰 at all.  

22 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

Don't you have a Filipina wife? If you're trying to get her to understand why you like restoring old vehicles and maintaining them, forget it. Ain't going to happen. Most women in the Philippines never learn to drive, and if they do, a vehicle is only to get from point A to point B, and they should never break. And they can't understand why you're out there in the garage working on your truck for hours, even though there's nothing wrong with it. A vehicle to them is like a carabao (Philippine domestic water buffalo); something to get you around and/or plow the rice paddy that you shouldn't have any feelings for. My wife like John's wife above gets her new JK every three years and she's happy. Although she does keep it spotless, I give her kudos for that.  :laugh:

1 hour ago, cruiser54 said:

FreezePlugrear.jpg

Lovely.  

I'll get a chance to look more closely into this leak tomorrow night.   Man, I'd like to say that it is unlikely that freeze plugs are the issue with the truck being less than 120K original miles, but that probably doesn't make so much a difference.  Looking at the pic (and others who've had this issue) makes we wonder why this particular location seems so susceptible.  

I saw that Nickintimefilms used steel replacement plugs instead of brass.  He also used no supplemental sealer compound.  He mentioned the differing expansion rates of brass and chose to go with steel because of it.  I did see many people on this forum use brass and I suppose they were successful.  Upon looking at your gruesome pic, I'm certainly leaning towards brass if this is the source of my leak.