Sliding rear glass vs fixed rear glass, and installation

I need a new rear window for my Comanche. The factory fixed glass shattered and I see the 4 pane rear windows online, haven’t found a fixed glass one yet, but I’m sure they’re out there. Just wondering pros and cons of each and whether install is doable myself or if I should have someone install it. Thanks. f2a247f8aad4497d74393b7a060e94d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put in a junkyard 3-pane easily myself.  It wasn't bad.  Remove your rubber trim molding, clean and sit it aside.  Clean the heck out of that metal window channel.  Both mating surfaces need to be quite clean -- I used lacquer thinner.  I'd go for any heavy non-film-leaving solvent if possible. 

You may need a heat gun to help you along.  It was a God-send for me, as my job would had taken a lot longer without one.  Do any rust repairs.  I had quite a clean truck, but still found a couple of rust spots in that channel area.  I psanded them down and shot some primer/paint over them. 

Go to Advance Auto and pay $25.99 for this:

windshield.jpg.1a2a7421be1cc2b301f91617a9d79d95.jpg

Have yourself a warm garage.  Dry fit to ensure you're not getting ready to do something dumb.  I then placed the ribbon sealer in the window channel surface, then brought my glass to it.  Mate the two surfaces.  All at the same time, use good duct tape (Monster tape is awesome for this) to attach to glass and wrap along the roof of your truck.  I used three equally spaced pieces of tape.  That'll help you keep it good as you install glass and as you apply pressure to sealer areas. 

You'll be leaving an open channel around the perimeter so that you rubber trim goes back in.  That trim is essentially cosmetic, you know...doesn't really do anything as far as mechanically holding the glass in.  Shove it into place.  I shot a little black silicone in the upper corners and secured with tape till dry just to kind of seal it down a bit.  My had very minor curling with age.    

I've got several Months on my truck using this product/method and I'm good.  No leaks. Looks good.  Quite inexpensive.  Go for it, man. 

I've heard that the four-pane rear windows don't fit quite perfectly but we probably ought to hear input first from others.  

4 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

I've heard that the four-pane rear windows don't fit quite perfectly but we probably ought to hear input first from others.  

I've got one of those four pane sliders. Fit is less than impressive.  It works but it's thin and flimsy compared to a stock slider.  Doesn't leak, though.

Just to give you an idea of how thin:  One of my panes was replaced with plexiglass when I bought the truck, and I didn't notice it wasn't glass for around six months.  The real glass panel on the other side was just as flimsy.

I was lucky enough to find an intact stock slider and gasket at a junk yard near here early last year.  They're gathering dust now pending my build starting.

Well I may be able to get my hands on a factory 3 pane slider. So should I find a factory fixed, factory 3 pane, or aftermarket 4 pane? Do sliders tend to leak, or allow easier entry for someone trying to break in? Never had a truck let alone a truck with a sliding rear window before.

My slider will pop open if you shake it back and forth. Don't know if it's just a worn out latch or what. I've never had theives attempt an ingress through there (hell, the doors are never even locked) but it's been handy a couple times if I did lock the doors, which almost inevitably means I locked the keys inside. 

Any truck slider will be a security risk. How much of a security risk is it considering it's attached to a 30 year old truck that you can just smash a window and get into anyway? That's up to you to decide. Breaking into a Comanche will never be a challenge for anyone. My policy is to not keep valuables in view, and not have anything visible in the truck that would be a target for a thief in the first place.

Not having any experience with any of the sliders, my gut says if you can find an OEM one try to get it. The aftermarket one gets mixed reviews from what I can see.

Well i called a few places that were supposed to have rear windows. Only found one place within a couple hour drive of me with a rear window. They had two of the 4 pane windows which I believe means they’re aftermarket, and both have broken latches, but they’re local and I can afford them so I’m going to get one. Now does anyone know where to get s replacement latch for one?

10 minutes ago, SatiricalHen said:

Well i called a few places that were supposed to have rear windows. Only found one place within a couple hour drive of me with a rear window. They had two of the 4 pane windows which I believe means they’re aftermarket, and both have broken latches, but they’re local and I can afford them so I’m going to get one. Now does anyone know where to get s replacement latch for one?

I have a broken latch on my 3-pane and will be trying these guys soon :

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=2715&History=30587:21770:1336:21770&pom=0

youngfred

3 hours ago, youngfred said:

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=2715&History=30587:21770:1336:21770&pom=0

youngfred

Why not replace the latch then ? Seems that would be a cheaper/better  option 

youngfred

I think that’s the place I’m going to try. I had my mom send me a picture of the latch, and I think the metal one in that link looks closest, but it appears to be riveted on, so I’m not sure what to do about that. I’m worried drilling out the rivets and replacing with screws I may hit the glass inside the frame at some point in the process and crack it. Maybe I’m just being too paranoid. ed48e16c38fdfb812dd0047dd7112f40.jpg2f7a012bcb2b48447a3a99b12ae5e34e.jpg pictures I have of the window and latch.