Alfa Romeo project progress

I owned and restored British cars (MG, Triumph & Jaguar) for years but I haven't for the last 15 or so.   Lucas, The Prince of Sparks and Darkness, gets a bit of a bad rap.   The electrics were usually restorable provided the plastic parts were in tact.   That was often the cause of failure for cars made through the '50s to '70s, switches in particular.  

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

One of my Brothers told me that there's a good market for Fiero seats.   He has one with speakers that are built in to the head rests and apparently those are the ones that the hot rod guys are always looking for.   

18 hours ago, PCO6 said:

One of my Brothers told me that there's a good market for Fiero seats.   He has one with speakers that are built in to the head rests and apparently those are the ones that the hot rod guys are always looking for.   

Yeah. They had speakers in them. There's covers over them now. The black and red ones. 

They're comfy, but too tall for the car. 

While dinking around in the garage with some buddies yesterday, one of them kept walking back and forth noting how similar the cars were. I thought nothing of it since they are both 1978s.

He yelled "Check this out!" Look at the serial numbers. 

They are 0030 and 0036.

What are the chances that 2 cars, built on the same assembly line 5 cars from each other, would end up 40 years later in the same garage in Prescott, Arizona? 

23 hours ago, Skorpyo said:

So which one is the younger one, donor or recipient? 

The recipient. #0030

The recipient had no carpeting or interior panels. 

Donor #0036 has all that. Cleaned it all up and dyed it. Next is to swap it into #0030. 

Gotta get the carpet in before I can put those fancy reupholstered factory seats in. Finally be sitting in the correct position. 

I'll try to snap some pics of the progress this afternoon.

I decided to try Iridium spark plugs. I've had good success with them in my quads and my supercharged Miata. 

Only went on a 10 mile round trip, but I had to turn the idle down when I got home. Feels more responsive. 

The plugs I removed have less than 500 miles on them. NGKs also. 

1-20180228_141719.jpg

1-20180228_143729 (1).jpg

Got a piece of crud out of one of the idle circuits on Saturday. Idles great now. 

I've been bugged by the fact that it has such low gears. 4.56s with 14" tires. 

But, yesterday I took it out for a spin and at 110 MPH in 5th gear it was still pulling. I can live with that. 

Put it on the lift Saturday and changed the trans and diff fluids.

The Alfas have great transmissions, but don't like to be shifted fast. I used BG UltraGuard 75W90 in the trans and took a quick road test. Immediately noticed an improvement in shifting. Quick road test because it started raining and I have no top!!!!

New brake booster. My old one was full of skanky old fluid from a previously failed master cylinder. 

Used my Hobo Freight brake bleeding tool and bled the brake and clutch systems twice. 

Haven't had a chance to test drive it since it's 47* and very windy. 

I'll do that tomorrow. I've been driving without any boost and it's not that bad.

1-20180315_151750.jpg

1-20180315_160316.jpg

1-20180315_190753.jpg