Custom Gauge Cluster???

Hey guys,

I was looking for some info on gauge clusters. The one in my mj is fine, but its the one with no tach and the dummy lights. I would like to switch it out for actual analogue gauges. I found a whole cluster on ebay and when I went to buy it, it had been sold. Now my question is there some sort of way to build your own gauge cluster in the original location or will it take too much work?

26 minutes ago, Swampy said:

Hey guys,

I was looking for some info on gauge clusters. The one in my mj is fine, but its the one with no tach and the dummy lights. I would like to switch it out for actual analogue gauges. I found a whole cluster on ebay and when I went to buy it, it had been sold. Now my question is there some sort of way to build your own gauge cluster in the original location or will it take too much work?

Building a custom cluster will be a lot of work and a lot of expense when any cluster out of an '88 through '90 Cherokee will drop right in.

Fuel, alt, oil, temp..............no one makes a 1.5 or 1.75 gauge, that's the problem, the 2 1/6 or 2 1/8 gauges won't fit. 

You can go quad..........that's not for me. 

Here's the problem- Dakota Digital could easily produce a gauge set that would replace the current cluster.......plug and play. But, they won't. Why? Because XJ and MJ people will not spend $800++ for a set of quality gauges. 

Same goes for just about any other high end manufacture. 

You, we, have ourselves to blame. 

I will resolve this problem for myself in the the near future. 

46 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Building a custom cluster will be a lot of work and a lot of expense when any cluster out of an '88 through '90 Cherokee will drop right in.

I know a 91 Cherokee gauge cluster won't fit right?

2 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Fuel, alt, oil, temp..............no one makes a 1.5 or 1.75 gauge, that's the problem, the 2 1/6 or 2 1/8 gauges won't fit. 

You can go quad..........that's not for me. 

Here's the problem- Dakota Digital could easily produce a gauge set that would replace the current cluster.......plug and play. But, they won't. Why? Because XJ and MJ people will not spend $800++ for a set of quality gauges. 

Same goes for just about any other high end manufacture. 

You, we, have ourselves to blame. 

I will resolve this problem for myself in the the near future. 

I will probably put a tach and speedo in the cluster bezel and run either an A pillar triple gauge pod, or a triple gauge pod on top of the dash or in the spot where the radio goes. I think in the spot where the radio goes would be the best but I would have to figure out the music situation :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was thinking of running this one Universal A-pillar gauge pod or Universal Triple Gauge Single Din Radio Face Pod or a Universal Triple Gauge Swivel Dashboard Pod

In the pods I would run oil pressure, water temp, and fuel level, and some how retrofit a tach and speedo into the bezel. I really like the look of the radio face pod because nothing is sticking out to far or anything of the sort but no music while driving would drive me insane

91 is different, electronic speedometer for one. Not sure about the other gauges, temperature and oil are similar to the old 84-90 setup. I don’t think they are routed through the ecm like the 96 up.

I found a 89-90 full cluster to put in my 85 XJ, speedometer cable was different, other than that it’s plug and play depending what year you have and of course replacing the appropriate sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any reason you don't want to use the stock full gauge cluster?

Big Tach, Big Speedo, plus small fuel, water temp, voltage, and oil pressure.

looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-90-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-91K-Speedometer-Fuel-Level-Instrument-Panel-Gauge-Cluster-/202063586398?hash=item2f0beda45e:g:SMAAAOSwuD9Zxw14&vxp=mtr

9 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

Any reason you don't want to use the stock full gauge cluster?

Big Tach, Big Speedo, plus small fuel, water temp, voltage, and oil pressure.

looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-90-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ-91K-Speedometer-Fuel-Level-Instrument-Panel-Gauge-Cluster-/202063586398?hash=item2f0beda45e:g:SMAAAOSwuD9Zxw14&vxp=mtr

I had been looking for a stock replacement honestly, hadn't been able to find one. thanks for the link. That one should just drop in right?

if it doesn't sell right away, I'll get that. or just build my own with the glowshift gauges

17 hours ago, Swampy said:

I know a 91 Cherokee gauge cluster won't fit right?

I will probably put a tach and speedo in the cluster bezel and run either an A pillar triple gauge pod, or a triple gauge pod on top of the dash or in the spot where the radio goes. I think in the spot where the radio goes would be the best but I would have to figure out the music situation :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

A '91 XJ cluster will certainly fit, physically, but you'll need to convert to an electronic speedometer, and the gas gauge will read in reverse because Chrysler changed the polarity.

I had been looking for a stock replacement honestly, hadn't been able to find one. thanks for the link. That one should just drop in right?

if it doesn't sell right away, I'll get that. or just build my own with the glowshift gauges

I’ve got a couple as well I’d sell you. They are just chillin in my shelf waiting to be listed to sell anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the inventory on you local junk yards, check craigslist, letgo and offerup for adds that are parting out cars. Check all the yards near even the non self service yards. You may pay 70 for a set that are pulled for you or 35 at a pick-in-pull. Still well under the amount that you would invest n a set of after market gauges. Play out all of your options and be willing to put the time in to save the money. There are yards that handle nothing but jeeps across the country. They will pull it and ship it for you. Even if you payed 120 for a set with shipping your still way ahead of the game. Lot less hassle and money involved. Trying to make something work is a crapshoot. Then if it doesn't u have to pay for shipping to return it. I'm not sure if you can pull the idiot lights out of the cluster and replace the with factory gauges from a newer cluster. But they do come out relatively easy. The guys might have some better thoughts on this but that's were I would start rather then throwing down a lot of money that could go to new seats or tires or suspension parts. I have the same issue but mine is a column shift with the shift indicator window in the cluster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk