504 Gateway Timeout Post Host Move

Hello.  I want to report that I got several 504 Gateway Timeout errors here today while posting new private messages.  In each case where a timeout was encountered, messages double-POSTed, and that was not a result of a double-POST on my end (no browser reload/refresh).  Other users have encountered similar problems when posting replies to forum threads.  I have a feeling it may be mail-related as it seems in each instance a mail would have, or could have, been sent.  504 errors would generally indicate a secondary server having issues, like a remote database server or mail server.  As the database is being updated, but mails resulting from private messages are not being sent, I would assume this is a mail server issue.  Possible fixes would include using sendmail or localhost via SMTP to send mail instead of using a remote host.

I've noticed when posting that the "submit reply" button will say "saving..." for a very long time.  I found that after it says "saving..." if you refresh the page, it posted your reply.  It seems to post immediately but takes forever to send the confirmation back to the user. I haven't had it double post or timeout at all using this method.