So I got carried away with the Sawzall....

I should have done that a long time ago.

O yea? Theres a reason I have been lurking on here for months before I actually joined, gotta learn from others experiances/mistakes :D

The trailer idea isnt going to happen. The bed was trashed when I got it, mostly rusted out, way too much bondo from somebody trying to fix it the wrong way, and its got several good dings that won't pull out. So I figured I would cut my losses ;) Its going to be truggified with the stroker motor and tranny from my XJ as well as the hp Dana 44 up front thats cut down to waggy width and a Ford 9" cut down to match the front 44. Also I am going to stuff a Stak 3 speed in it with a flat belly skid. I was going to reuse the 8.8 I had, but I sheared all the ring gear bolts off and blew up the ARB. Should be done in a month or so cause if not, I'm going to be walking to Cincinnati instead of driving. I will be moving there in September.

AARON

I should have done that a long time ago.

O yea? Theres a reason I have been lurking on here for months before I actually joined, gotta learn from others experiances/mistakes :D

Don't get me started. I could write a 10000 word essay on how not to build a jeep.

I like what you have done yeahthat.gif

JUst go 1 tons, and call it good... I know its a lot more up front, but you won't be rebuilding it (like I am)

Also link it front and rear (wish I did.. the first time)

Go v-8 with a doubler (you got a good plan there, wish I did that the first build)

I don't see any issues with the truggy being legal. It will have lights, fenders, and will be with in vehicle codes. I guess it will all come down to if the inspection shop wants to be a fool or not. But even if its not quite with in legality, I have connections :)

As for the V-8 and doubler, thats why I have the stroker motor. It puts out MORE than enough power to break parts. See the pic of my Ford 8.8 below. Notice the ring gear bolt hanging out next to the ARB copper line and bearing cap. And the Stak 3 speed will handle doubling duties :D Linking was in the plan from the start. I have learned a lot from the previous 2 Cherokees I had and will be building the Comanche from what I learned in building them in addition to what you guys have done. Should last me at least 3 years (it better since I will be Broke in grad school during that time) 8)

AARON

Hey 87, where in Ohio are you at? I will be up in Cincinnati first week of September. Do you know of any local Ohio offroad forums? I havent really gotten to searching yet. Also got any other heads up as far as vehicle legal codes go? I figured If I can get it to pass here in NC with inspection it should be alright there, I hope. I finished the rockers the other day, just need to get a new light in the shop since the current one burned out so I can get some good pics. Look for some tomorrow evening.

AARON

I figured If I can get it to pass here in NC with inspection it should be alright there, I hope.
Not necessarily.

I, as well as most people fro my local group live in NY, and a few weeks ago, my buddy had his rig out for the first time for a wheeling test drive (first time out of the shop after a ton of mods) and he got pulled over in PA, luckily, got away with nothing, and he had tires way beyond legal, bumper heights too high, and some other bull, but my other buddy is friends with a lot of the officers, so he popped a few names, and got them off with nothing but a waste of time.

Basic line, think about a motorcyclist, in PA, you may be able to ride without a helmet, but once you enter NY, that helmet better be on. It most likely applies for any other state.

Basic line, think about a motorcyclist, in PA, you may be able to ride without a helmet, but once you enter NY, that helmet better be on. It most likely applies for any other state.

This is a good train of thought to follow but there are exceptions. There are reciprical agreements between a lot of states to allow for different conditions. For example: Arizona and Nevada plated vehicles can drive into California with their tinted windows and there isn't a problem. However, don't ride your Arizona license plated quadrunner on a California street.

Always best to ask with inter-state questions. It doesn't always make sense.

Hey 87, where in Ohio are you at? I will be up in Cincinnati first week of September. Do you know of any local Ohio offroad forums? I havent really gotten to searching yet.

AARON

www.greatlakesxj.com

www.terrainstompers.com (local Cincy club)

www.jeepinohio.com

I've wheeled with both GLXJ and TS and both are a very good group of guys.

PA has been known to be hard on rigs, especially 4x4's... there is a long post somewhere on the net about ppl getting ticketed leaving PAP. For the most part your rig has to be able to pass a safety equipment inspection(lights all of them, horn, at least to rear view mirrors, good tires, tire stickout, and lastly bumper heights), but if you have a safety inspection from the state your are from and valid plates and insurance they normally let you go with a warning

but if you have a safety inspection from the state your are from and valid plates and insurance they normally let you go with a warning

If its able to pass a safety inspection and is lisenced the officers can go @#$% themselves. That seriously pisses me off! Honestly how many officers know what is safe or unsafe? Do they have the knowledge to determine a safe vehicle and if its with in the law? What makes my Jeep any less safe than the dumb blond who doesnt have proper air pressure in the tires and is running down the road with worn out shocks and a bad alignment? Rant off.

I forgot my camera at the shop so pics will come tomorrow night. Got the steering box back on with some C-rok plates as well as capped the rear frame rails where I cut the Jeep in half. Its been super hot, 95+ degree weather, which makes working all that slower. Tomorrow will be spent stripping the axles of brackets, installing the front bumper, and stripping the old suspension so I can start on my new suspension :D

AARON

The Jeep is NAKED! :D Stripped the frame rails of EVERYTHING in preperation for some additional bracing, then the drivetrain is going back in. Notice there is nothing remaining of the factory mounts. The new suspension will start next weekend.

AARON