New CD Player

Well, the old cassette player finally went out on me, so I looked around for a single DIN CD/AM/FM replacement unit. Seems like all the aftermarket heads had the crappy blue, purple, green, and red light displays which I hate. Also hate detachable faceplates. Found a Mitsubishi head on Ebay that fit in pretty well and wired it in. Used the old cassette player bracket and did not have to trim the dash bezel. Sounds great, but am looking to change out the rear speakers now........... :D

that looks factory, is that thermometer factory i want one i only have the clock now

Yes the radio / CD fits in well I think, except for the "MITSUBISHI MOTORS" in gold letters in the lower left corner. But Mitsubishi was a part of D/C at the time (2003) and the head was made by Alpine, so it's sort of still in the family ;) . The thermometer come from a mid-80's Mercedes 300E. Had wasted space below the clock, so put it to good use.

that looks factory, is that thermometer factory i want one i only have the clock now

The thermometer come from a mid-80's Mercedes 300E. Had wasted space below the clock, so put it to good use.

need more info. pronto.. that has to be the coolest thing i've ever seen.

The thermometer come from a mid-80's Mercedes 300E. Had wasted space below the clock, so put it to good use.

need more info. pronto.. that has to be the coolest thing i've ever seen.

Just put a short writeup on the ambient temp display in the MJ Projects section.

Kenwood generally seems to offer one or two models that don't have blue or multi-color displays. I have a Pioneer in the 88 with the blue backlit display. It's okay during the day, but driving at night with the radio on makes me nuts. The display reflects off the rear window and right into the mirror. Those displays should not be legal. They don't even have the common decency to put a dimmer on them.

I have (had?) an el-cheapo clarion that looked alright (as in didn't scream 'I'm an attention lady of the night'). It's really annoying that nobody that makes stereos seems to understand the 'function before form' thing, or that it doesn't have to light up like a carnival and play a retarded movie.

Kenwood generally seems to offer one or two models that don't have blue or multi-color displays. I have a Pioneer in the 88 with the blue backlit display. It's okay during the day, but driving at night with the radio on makes me nuts. The display reflects off the rear window and right into the mirror. Those displays should not be legal. They don't even have the common decency to put a dimmer on them.

I did a lot of research because of the same reason. Wanted a single DIN CD player w/o the garrish displays, which I really hate. The Mitsubishi (1997 +) fills the bill, and looks natural, matching the dash lights, no brighter or dimmer. These have a illumination circuit input too, and at full blast is no brighter than the dash lights. And there is no security code to deal with. Tried a Kenwood, but it sucked at picking up distant FM stations. Thought it was my power antenna, but it was the radio itself. Managed to find a schematic, and they have a 2nd stage amp on the input, that the others I tried do not have. This is a good cheap upgrade, these CD/AM/FM single DIN units are readily available, and it's better than most of the aftermarket alternatives.

the JVC units have dimmers.

Mine is a little on the ghey side, but it's not horrible. The dimmer feature makes it alright at night, it cuts the display by about 50%. At that point the sirius display is brighter.