So this old MJ that I have leaks oil, and other fluids. It's a 1987 with the 4.0 automatic on the floor and is 4wheel drive.

I can see that the Valve cover leaks, and looks like the oil pan leaks.

From what I can tell looks like the transmission pan is leaking too.

My question is, buy gaskets? or use permatek,(that stuff in the tube)?

I know I can do the valve cover with the permatek stuff.

As I recall from the straight six in my old 1972 Chevy Nova, there are seals in the front and rear of the oil pan, so I'll most likely need to buy the gaskets at NAPA.

I geuss my real question is, Is there as Gasket for the transmission? or can I use the permatek there?

The NAPA store I go to seems pretty good, but I like to go in there atleast SOUNDING like I have 1/2 a clue.

Thanks in advance for your two cents,,,,,,,,,,,,

6 one way, half dozen the other.

I prefer making gaskets with permatex, I use red RTV almost exclusively.

some people prefer gaskets.

Use whatever you're comfortable with on the trans.

The oil pan will need a gasket though, and the nice rubber one is what you want to get.

You'll still need a little RTV on the corners where the pan meets the front and rear main seals.

While you've got the pan off do the rear main. Getting the pan off is 90% of the work of a rear main replacement, so you might as well do it while you're there. Fel pro makes a double lipped seal that seems to work well, it moves where the seal rides on the crank, so if your crank has a groove from the old seal that's the ticket.

I've had the best luck on the valvcover with a cork gasket, and a smear of RTV on each side to get it to stick.

Good lookin' out there Nook, thats what I was just going to say.

Seems excessive to be leaking EVERYWHERE without a problem, unless that thing just REALLY has been lacked out on maintenance.

DEFINITELY do the rear main while youre in there, search on here or naxja for writeups, theyre plentiful, shoot, you can google it too.

and mostly, DO the work yourself! youll love yourself for it!

While youre doing the RMS/oil pan, torque down everything in your front end while youre at it!

Good luck!

Use a 1 piece rubber oil pan gasket. if you ever have to pull the pan again you won't be laying under the truck with oil driping on your hair/face scraping every last bit of RTV off the bottom of the block. double lip rear main seals are nice to. cork valve cover gaskets are cheap compared to the rubber and i havent had them leak.

• 8 months later...

I thought I had a rear main leak...and was pretty peeved about that. I also knew that my valve cover was leaking too so I got a Felpro one from NAPA. Turns out my old gasket was broken in 2 places, and was spewing oil out of the back, which dripped down the block, and onto the trans (which I also thought was leaking).

Try the valve cover first (because it is the easiest)...then go from there.

I thought I had a rear main leak...and was pretty peeved about that. I also knew that my valve cover was leaking too so I got a Felpro one from NAPA. Turns out my old gasket was broken in 2 places, and was spewing oil out of the back, which dripped down the block, and onto the trans (which I also thought was leaking).

Try the valve cover first (because it is the easiest)...then go from there.

I agree times one thousand four hundred thirty two!

A quick side question since I am here anyway.... :brows:

I used a cork gasket last time and set it in Hylomar to keep it in place while I was installing it. Seems to work but it has been about 3 years and 30,000 miles.....

Do you use any sort of "locktite type" product on the hold down bolts? I check the torque on mine about every other oil change and they all seem to work themselves loose. Are they supposed to use a lock washer?

I'll be replacing a few gaskets on my new motor before its installed. This is what I'm gathering...

rear main: Felpro double-lipped

valve cover: cork with sealant

Oil pan: one piece rubber (95 and up iirc)

And has anyone tried that gasket maker in those cheese-wiz cans? I saw them at work...