Spare mount ideas?

Anyone have a good idea for a bed mounted spare? My kids comanche has a tool box at the front of the bed, and I'm looking for a good idea to copy which doesn't take up too much of the remaining bed. He's running rubicon rims with 31's - under bed mount doesn't work with that combo.

I've got a bender/welder/plasma so making it is no problem, just can't come up with a good idea.

shortbed or long bed?

my 31" spare fits under my longbed no problem, of course, wheeling with it there will destroy it.

anyway, looked into making a tiregate sort of device?

and check out CWlongshots build thread, he made a nice tire carrier/tailgate.

Shortbed. Might be able to make the tire fit, the hole on the rubicon wheels isn't large enough to fit the retainer plate. Also the MN winters and road salt tend to destroy underhung wheels and occasionally send them bouncing down the road.

I'll take a look at the thread you mentioned

Keep them coming. Looked at the thread posted, and it's nice but I'd rather not have it hanging out past the back of the truck.

This is the one I built for my YJ - but only because there is no room inside for the tire ;)

P5170004.JPG

My gate idea can easily be modified so the tire remains in the bed. Just a bit of ingenuity and you will have it!!

But I gotta say, its doesnt "hang off" the back very far at all. It also doesn't take one inch of space from my bed. :brows:

CW

At the moment I'm kind of thinking of a horizontal mount where the top of the tire is at the top of the bed. Need to figure out an easy way to swing it up and out of the way. One thing I want to make sure is that the tire does not restrict the view to the rear since a 16 year old will be driving it and the truck is alreayd lifted.

n69205416_32061069_4105.jpg

n69205416_32061073_5261.jpg

n69205416_32068330_5883.jpg

n69205416_32068338_7850.jpg

he built the whole thing....it's a Hi-lift jack mount, military spade mount, clevis mount, gerry-can holder, and toolbox all in one.

the wheel hinges up on the door to the toolbox. obviously, the toolbox isn't done yet, it will have a stainless and sealed bottom and back, with a diamond plate aluminum top and sides. we just have to get the sealant and start drilling for the rivets. the latch system is a xj 4.0 hood latch and hood latch handle, and will have a cherokee rear liftgate strut on it to raise it up. triangular in shape.

that would solve BOTH your toolbox being in the way issue, and your tire-mount issue, but not the amount of bed-room left. it could also have down-tubes added to make it a full rollbar...

At the moment I'm kind of thinking of a horizontal mount where the top of the tire is at the top of the bed. Need to figure out an easy way to swing it up and out of the way. One thing I want to make sure is that the tire does not restrict the view to the rear since a 16 year old will be driving it and the truck is alreayd lifted.

roof rack with lightbar, mount the tire on the roof, and use that as a tool storage unit.

it's not like the thing will get gas mileage anyways...

Here's an interesting twist on that first idea. Allows you to flip the gate so that the tire is either inside or outside the bed.

http://www.tiregate.com/prerunner.shtml

This came out AFTER I did mine... Guess I should have looked into a copyright huh???

Amazing how simular they look!!!

CW

This model looks almost identical

http://www.tiregate.com/vt.shtml

Here's an interesting twist on that first idea. Allows you to flip the gate so that the tire is either inside or outside the bed.

http://www.tiregate.com/prerunner.shtml

This came out AFTER I did mine... Guess I should have looked into a copyright huh???

Amazing how simular they look!!!

CW

I don't think a patent would have stopped them. Just think about how many TJ tire carrier bumpers there are out there.

n6603948_30849329_4062.jpg

One old axleshaft that you can hack up, a bit of steel and some time with a mig welder can get you something like this. Bolt it to the bed from the back and bottom and that way you keep it from falling over when the tire isnt on it. When the tire is on it, it actually supports the weight of the rack with the tools strapped to the back of it.