Idler pulley and fan bearing replacement drama.......

So..... I had the raceTruck out to run some errands and after giving it a bit of "spirited" throttle up a short hill near the house...... there came a hideous squealing followed by the sound of the serpentine belt coming apart and slapping off of everything under the hood.  Great.

Never in nearly 20 years of farting around with these XJ/MJ's have I had a triple bearing simultaneous failure.  Yep, the idler, A/C delete and mechanical fan bearings all failed.  The A/C delete seized up completely, the idler and fan bearings were very loose and rough - grinding to turn.  

Come to find out that apparently the major auto parts chains (Autozone, Advance Auto Parts and O-Rilley's) near my house can't get ANY of these 3 bearings/pulleys.  Not one of them listed a part number - all showed "N/A".  Seriously?  My '88 MJ is now THAT old that these fairly common to fail parts aren't available any longer?  The press in bearing was another anomaly that couldn't be found. 

Fortunately, I kept a lightly used A/C delete and Idler pulley in my parts stash and retrieved those for the repair.  The pressed in bearing for the mechanical fan though...... I'd never actually replaced one of these, I'd only found "good" ones in the brackets and replaced the bracket. 

On line sources revealed 2 part numbers for this bearing - it being officially listed as a "water pump shaft bearing".  The part number for the one matching what Jeep used - an NSK bearing - #665325 which of course isn't available any longer.  The closest match is the NSK #885586.  This bearing unfortunately has a longer shaft through it and requires modification of the front of the shaft at a minimum. (the rear of the shaft can be left long as it doesn't affect it's use or operation).  

The no longer available 665325:

And the only other option, the 885586 which is shown between the OEM bearing and a modified one that I used for replacement:

During the replacement, I found that the Harbor Freight ball joint press tool was the ideal tool for pressing out the bearing.  Prior to pressing it out, I used feeler gauges to measure the gap at the flange so when pressed back on, I'd have the proper alignment.  A 3-jaw gear puller made short work of removing the flange.  Pretty straight forward when it was all said and done, just a big pain having to drive clear across town to find the one place that carried the 885586 - which weren't cheap at $34 each (bought 2 as I need to do this to my '91 Eliminator as well).

Does anyone know of a source where I can get the Idler and A/C delete pulleys new?  And their part numbers?

Interesting, I got replacement AC delete and idler pulleys from AutoZone, at least in this century, if not this decade.

Just looked at the website, both are still available from AutoZone.

I should probably clarify....... Autozone showed the part number and the guy said he could order it, but none were available at stores locally.  He looked to see where he could get it from and none of the stores in the neighboring States had them in stock either, said it would have to come from a warehouse and would take several days.

If I can get part numbers, I'm going to do some searching and get a couple replacements ordered up and sent to me to keep around.  The prices at the parts stores was pretty ugly too.  Autozone said the A/C delete pulley was $33.

LOL...... nope, didn't come up in my interwebz search oddly enough.  

I sent a request for the correct bearing to that same place - locateballbearings.com.  They said no longer available.  The poster in that write up posted just late last year.... so it seems this bearing being N/A is a recent development.

On AutoZone.com, the Duralast AC delete pulley, which is grooved, (called an idler pulley also on the site) is $17. Part number 231082. This is a hard ABS-type plastic pulley. I have bought this and carry it in my truck box as a spare.

The Duralast idler pulley, which is smooth, is $18. Part number 231097. This is a metal pulley. I have bought this and it is currently installed on my truck.

If memory serves me right, there was something funky about the bushing that came with one of them.

There is also listed an AC Delco smooth idler pulley for $25. Part number 38042.

And to follow up.....I recommend becoming an Amazon Prime member. Lots of stuff is available via Amazon at prices better than the stores (not all, so be willing to look.....like a Wix filter for my truck is a better deal at O'rielly's than Amazon) and Prime membership gives you a lot of other things including free 2-day shipping on a lot of items.

On AutoZone.com, the Duralast AC delete pulley, which is grooved, (called an idler pulley also on the site) is $17. Part number 231082. This is a hard ABS-type plastic pulley. I have bought this and carry it in my truck box as a spare.

This is the first one I bought and tried.  It does not work for the 4.0L A/C delete pulley.  You can see from the photo of the pulley, the bearing is recessed.  When you put the bolt and retainer washer on, the washer butts up against the plastic, pinching the pulley tight and it won't rotate.  It's also smaller in diameter than the OEM A/C delete pulley.

The Duralast idler pulley, which is smooth, is $18. Part number 231097. This is a metal pulley. I have bought this and it is currently installed on my truck.

This one is correct for the Idler in all 4.0 applications.

There is also listed an AC Delco smooth idler pulley for $25. Part number 38042.

This one doesn't look right at all.

So..... I'm still looking for a good part number for an A/C delete pulley.

This is the first one I bought and tried. It does not work for the 4.0L A/C delete pulley. You can see from the photo of the pulley, the bearing is recessed. When you put the bolt and retainer washer on, the washer butts up against the plastic, pinching the pulley tight and it won't rotate. It's also smaller in diameter than the OEM A/C delete pulley.

Pulley itself or the whole 'delete assy'?

• 4 months later...

This is the first one I bought and tried.  It does not work for the 4.0L A/C delete pulley.  You can see from the photo of the pulley, the bearing is recessed.  When you put the bolt and retainer washer on, the washer butts up against the plastic, pinching the pulley tight and it won't rotate.  It's also smaller in diameter than the OEM A/C delete pulley.

Well, since my original grooved AC delete pulley finally crapped out last week.....

The plastic grooved pulley from AutoZone (Part number 231082) is installed on my truck is working fine (not that I trust it long term)....I used the spacer that comes with the smooth pulley (Part number 231097) rather than the factory spacer. Obviously the factory spacer will bind the plastic pulley, but the smaller spacer with the replacement smooth idler pulley is a good fit. I see no issues with the alignment of the plastic grooved pulley.

Whereas the plastic grooved pulley is slightly smaller than the original, I had no problem tightening up the old belt.

I had a friend install a new bearing in the original metal pulley. Bearing 6203-2RS is what I used, which means:

6 = Single row deep groove ball bearing

2 = Light duty

03 = 17mm inside diameter (which should come with 40mm outside diameter and 12mm thick)

2RS = Rubber seals on both sides

I paid $16 for the bearing from NAPA (SKF brand), which was 3-4 times the cost for a bearing from Amazon.....now that I am smarter on bearings. I will install a new bearing in my original smooth pulley (bought from Amazon), rather than buy another pulley.

I paid $16 for the bearing from NAPA (SKF brand), which was 3-4 times the cost for a bearing from Amazon.....now that I am smarter on bearings. I will install a new bearing in my original smooth pulley (bought from Amazon), rather than buy another pulley.

I'm not picking on you, but I'm always curious about statements like this. 

Bearings matter, especially when they leave you and your best girl stranded in the middle of nowhere at 3AM.

SKF is a decent bearing, $16 is dirt cheap. Particularly when we are getting to a point where we should be happy we can even get parts for a 30 year old vehicle. 

HCH is $3.99 and SKF is $7.30 from Amazon with free shipping. The bearing we need for both idler pulleys is not difficult to find, we just need to figure out what we are looking for. That's why I get the pleasure of paying more than I really need to at times.