What Minuit knows about stock Jeep radios

30 minutes ago, BeatCJ said:

I suspect you have so much work with Jeep Radios you don't have time, but my Pioneer Supertuner could use some work. The volume control has some bad spots, as do the balance and fader controls. Turn them and they make static while you are touching them, they have spots where one or the other door speaker works.

Any suggestions?

By Super Tuner, do you mean the original KP-500 deck or something else?

Shoot me a PM.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

IMG_9322.HEICHi, I have this unit from my 87 AMC Jeep Comanche Metric Ton Laredo. It does not say RX135, but it sure looks like one? However it has a very different jeep model # of 0089556002786 not listed in your thorough write up. I am thinking of ways to have this updates with some kind of hidden DAB+ reception adapter with  bluetooth as no AM/FM signals are broadcasted in Norway...

Any tips or tricks? It had a very thick and powerful sound to it. I have changed it with a Pioneer XH8700 witch sounds nice and very digitally perfect, but has the most awful LED color-circus lights emitting from the fascia. I was also considering the "new" Blaupunkt Bremen with all the new tech in a retro box...but the original Jeep unit looks so good with its chrome details and heavy knobs...image.png.482f90ad42672be661a4f30772384f37.png

RX135_label.jpg

RX135.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, ArcticMonkey said:

IMG_9322.HEICHi, I have this unit from my 87 AMC Jeep Comanche Metric Ton Laredo. It does not say RX135, but it sure looks like one? However it has a very different jeep model # of 0089556002786 not listed in your thorough write up. I am thinking of ways to have this updates with some kind of hidden DAB+ reception adapter with  bluetooth as no AM/FM signals are broadcasted in Norway...

Any tips or tricks? It had a very thick and powerful sound to it. I have changed it with a Pioneer XH8700 witch sounds nice and very digitally perfect, but has the most awful LED color-circus lights emitting from the fascia. I was also considering the "new" Blaupunkt Bremen with all the new tech in a retro box...but the original Jeep unit looks so good with its chrome details and heavy knobs...image.png.482f90ad42672be661a4f30772384f37.png

RX135_label.jpg

RX135.jpg

Hello, and sorry for the late response.

I do not have much direct experience with this model in particular, but in general the radios manufactured by Automatic Radio in Korea are of generally poor quality compared to the ones made by Mitsubishi in Japan or Singapore. It is possible that this one is an exception. It resembles the RX-135 but to my knowledge shares few to no parts.

How does the DAB adapter work? More specifics on the one you plan to use would be helpful.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:17 AM, Krzysztof said:

Hello Guys,

I'm the owner of XJ from 1996 and I had a luck to buy Radio Chrysler P56007214 -Jeep RX-173, but unfortunytly dispaly is not working well, does any one konws where I can buy dispaly for this model if this is possibly ?

Thanks for answer.

Hello,

The display for that radio is no longer available new, so any parts would have to come from another radio. The display is soldered into the front panel circuit board and can be hard to remove.

• 1 month later...

Hey Minuit,

I've been stalking your profile and website for the last few hours hoping to find that someone has already answered my question, but so far no dice. I've got an rx-173 that works perfectly fine with the exception of a burnt out LCD lightbulb and my main issue, the tape deck. On your website I saw mention of a repair for rx-173's that, upon insertion of a tape, will acknowledge there is a tape by turning off the radio and displaying the play symbol on the LCD but will not load the tape. I attempted on a whim to manually load the tape and see if the head would engage, but that didn't do anything. The belt is in perfect condition, and I haven't yet checked if the motors are seized. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to know if this is a problem I can fix at home with minimal effort.

1AoeEBM.jpgWqOUXA2.jpg

6 hours ago, aar0n said:

Hey Minuit,

I've been stalking your profile and website for the last few hours hoping to find that someone has already answered my question, but so far no dice. I've got an rx-173 that works perfectly fine with the exception of a burnt out LCD lightbulb and my main issue, the tape deck. On your website I saw mention of a repair for rx-173's that, upon insertion of a tape, will acknowledge there is a tape by turning off the radio and displaying the play symbol on the LCD but will not load the tape. I attempted on a whim to manually load the tape and see if the head would engage, but that didn't do anything. The belt is in perfect condition, and I haven't yet checked if the motors are seized. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to know if this is a problem I can fix at home with minimal effort.

1AoeEBM.jpgWqOUXA2.jpg

If the mechanism itself is not seized up (and since you were able to actually insert the tape into the deck, it isn't), this problem is almost always a seized loading motor, or more specifically, the motor reduction gear. It's on the bottom of the deck. You'll have to pull off the bracket to get to it. If memory serves, there are two screws holding the motor in to the deck. Be very careful not to strip them. It's easiest to desolder the wires that go to the motor; they should be twisted together, and where they go should be marked by color on the circuit board.

There are several small plastic gears under the front housing of the motor. You'll want to clean the "grease" (which has by now degenerated into a glue like substance) from the gears. If you put something back in, put in a very small amount of silicone grease.

The deck should now load a tape. Now you get to find out if the auto-reverse sensors still work! If yes, good! Enjoy your very nice sounding tape deck. If not, you are screwed! These are decent mechanisms by car audio cassette standards, but they have a lot of problems.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Jonny B Vest said:

I bought a parts jeep and it is the fully loaded limited 89 Cherokee, can you tell me if this radio is worth a crap to mess with? I would like to add blue tooth if that is possible, if not the at least an aux cord.

20220105_134106.jpg

an easy way to tell is to pull it out and see if it's made in Japan (good) or Korea (not so good).  the AUX is the only upgrade to them, and then you plug a bluetooth dongle into that AUX cord to give your BT connectivity. :L: 

59 minutes ago, Pete M said:

an easy way to tell is to pull it out and see if it's made in Japan (good) or Korea (not so good).  the AUX is the only upgrade to them, and then you plug a bluetooth dongle into that AUX cord to give your BT connectivity. :L: 

Even easier - brown button labels: bad. White button labels: good. I can't really tell in this picture, but it looks like one of the good ones.

While I cannot add an AUX for you at this time, I can help you with a DIY solution if you know what you're doing.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the awesome write-up Minuit! I learned a lot from this thread.

I wanted to share a couple other radios that you might find interesting. 

Here's a "Jeep" AM radio, similar to the AM/FM AR-7600 radio built by Mitsubishi. This radio is model AR-7900YJ, making it somewhere around 87-95? ish. I am guessing these were offered as a standard option on the YJ's through '95. (Sorry for the poor quality photo, this radio is not mine!)

https://ibb.co/f2B8M39

dfdsd.jpg

Here is another odd version, similar to the AR-7550 you had posted earlier. This radio is model AR-7660X.  (Sorry for the poor quality photo, this radio is not mine!)

https://ibb.co/25NjbFy

Lastly, here is the original brochure page from '93-'95 for the rare Anti-theft "pull-out" radio cassette player (model 82201470), as well as the hard to find CD player. The cassette player could have been offered in the accessory brochure from 88-92, but I can't seem to find copies of the brochures to verify. I will take some additional photos of the 82201470 lit up and working. It is a great sounding radio and works surprisingly well!

https://ibb.co/r5dsrMf

1995-Accessories.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello, I recently bought two OEM untested 56002467 radios off eBay. I received both today and both are in excellent shape and work fantastically to my surprise (even the cassettes). I have been geeking out over the idea of adding in an aux which was the plan when I bought these radios. I installed it and its working great but I have a few questions. First off it was mentioned earlier in this forum that with the 56002467 model there is a way to eliminate the bleeding of the radio completely when playing through the aux. Mine definitely is bleeding quite a bit. Could anybody please explain how to do this? Thank you! -James W

• 4 months later...

Getting settled back in after returning home from a trip.

Taking the deck apart... maybe 2 hours? There was really no purpose to the exercise and I didn't put it back together. These tape decks are some of the most service-unfriendly electronics ever. Glued on phone screens don't even come close.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:52 AM, StickyChicken said:

Hello, I recently bought two OEM untested 56002467 radios off eBay. I received both today and both are in excellent shape and work fantastically to my surprise (even the cassettes). I have been geeking out over the idea of adding in an aux which was the plan when I bought these radios. I installed it and its working great but I have a few questions. First off it was mentioned earlier in this forum that with the 56002467 model there is a way to eliminate the bleeding of the radio completely when playing through the aux. Mine definitely is bleeding quite a bit. Could anybody please explain how to do this? Thank you! -James W

Check your PMs.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:27 PM, StickyChicken said:

I have an RX-173 that seems to work flawlessly but is producing zero sound. All the buttons work and it seems to be cycling a cassette perfectly but AM, FM, Cassette, and my aux harness is not producing a sound. Any thoughts?

There is likely some internal fault to the radio. What exactly that is, I couldn't say over the internet. Both channels meet at the amplifier chip, and if there's a problem there then neither would work. I'd start there.

• 1 month later...

I am wondering if you still repair the RX-173XJ radio. I am not getting any sound from the Radio. I pulled this from my 1989 Comanche and would like to get it repaired. I have not tried the Cassette player. Please contact me about this radio repair.

Alvis McGinty

alvis.mcginty@gmail.com

• 2 months later...

Hello Jeepcommunity

I'm the owner of Radio Chrysler P56007214 -Jeep RX-173, but the radio is not working. Radio waves are not audible, only noise. Suspicion is a broken VHF head.
Does any one konws where can I buy VHF head for this model? Exist any replacement?

Greatings from Poland
Raphael

cUxaENJ.png