PROJECT FUBAR

Well i finely got around to installing my painless switch panel on the dash . the kit was for a 87 to something ford

f$%#stain that i got realy cheap from a local parts store when the closed .

first i had to figure out where i was gona put it , and since the stupid clock hadent worked in years i pulled it and stuffed the harnes in behind the dash and fabricated a plate to fit it in the dash bezel and welded tabs on it to secure it .

then i mocked it up ( again ), marked , drilled and installed the screw clips to secure it

then some more mockup with the switch panel before i shot it with primer and paint

now id post a pick of the finshed and installed product but my camera decided to take a crap on me at the end :fs1:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey CW do u get much flex out of ur rear shock setup, i mean does the angle iron flex ?

I doubt it would.. its 3" angle iron and at least 3/16 thick. Pretty heavy duty stuff. I am in the process of reworking my lower mounts to allow for a more upright position. I'm getting a bit of a vibe after a bump and since the new Motion 4.5" leafs. I'm thinking its from the shock angle.

CW

• 4 months later...

got a chance to work on the manch on sunday so i started my cut out rock rails , I'm puting 2x6 3/16 steel in there. i got the drivers side almost done now i just gota do the passenger side

here's what i had to start with , clean rust free califorina rockers :yes:

after removing the door i marked were i was going to make the cuts

then i started cuting :evil:

then the mock up

after preping the metal for welding and spraying the inside of the rockers and the 2x6 with weld through primer i positioned the steel were i wanted it and began to weld it all in

the bottom is just tacked in along the length of it but will get fully welded later

after modifying the hindges i reatached them and hung the door and here is the finshed product so far

Thanks guys , it turned out better than i expected but they still aint done as I'm gona add some 1 3/4 tubing to it to kick it out a bit kinda like the toyota Allpro sliders do then I'm building my exo off of all that. also thinking of making the sliders into my air tanks but we will see.

• 1 month later...

Well iv started on the passneger side rail and it should be all done tomorow , iv also got 200 ft of 1 3/4 tubing for the exo on order and i got 3 weeks to get it done before a big wheeling trip at hollister . i also got the trans fluid in it changed today

Well both sliders are done the only thing iv got left to do with them is add the kickouts then its on to the exo .

the wife showed up just in time to snap some pics of me cuting off perfectly good sheetmetal

its funny some of the things u find when working on ur truck , also found some old dime bags from way back in the day :chillin: (not pictured for obvious reasons :brows: ) , and it was all inside of the rocker

and thew finshed product

i also drilled and taped the passengers slider to use as an air tank , i pressure tested it and checked for leaks and it passed we will see how it turns out but i think it will work well as i built a rear bumper/air tank for my rubicon over a year ago and its holding up verry well with no problems . tell me what yall think

the wife showed up just in time to snap some pics of me cuting off perfectly good sheetmetal

There is no such thing as perfectly good sheet metal if it gets in the way or can't be used as a slider. :thumbsup:

Willy

There is no such thing as perfectly good sheet metal if it gets in the way or can't be used as a slider. :thumbsup:

Willy

yes but when its a common place for rust to congerate and eat these wounderfull trucks alive and what i cut off has absolutly zero rust on it i consider it good metal . but other than that ur right , in the words of the great sawzall gods " If u can't use it loose it"

Got started on the front square tube driveshaft today , will try and get some pics of it tomorow and I'm still waiting on my 200 ft of 1 3/4" tubing :fs1: hopefuly i get it in time , I'm gona call my guy tomarow and if it aint ordered up I'm gona cancel it and I'm just gona do with out .

Willy

yes but when its a common place for rust to congerate and eat these wounderfull trucks alive and what i cut off has absolutly zero rust on it i consider it good metal . but other than that ur right , in the words of the great sawzall gods " If u can't use it loose it"

I have a home for those rocker panels if you still have them ? :wavey:

Well the exo cage is gona wait till a later date which is probably a good thing cause i hate to rush things but thats ok . did mannage to get a bunch of other stuff done .

the front drive shaft is done and in

i think it will hold up prity good

i also got my new hubs in , in all my research a found that warn makes an upgraded verson of their front (their standard front hubs are comparable to the mile markers) hub that was designed for their rear d35 full float kit that mates up to my Mile Marker kit with no problems, and upon closer inspection these warns are much stronger looking than the mile markers.

the outside diameter of the warn is nearly an 1/8" larger than the M.M. which is the were they commonly fail

the warn weighs about a pound more aswell

and between everything i mannaged to tape off the lower part of the truck and shoot some primer and paint on it , i used some rustoleum gloss black appliance paint that is totally awsome caus it keeps it deep shine after it dries

thats it for today

mason

How did you attach the rock sliders under the bed?

Willy

I didnt , its just hanging out there from the cab back but i don't see it being a problem for the time being . I'm gona attach it at some point but I'm gona wait till i figure out if I'm gona keep the bed or ditch it in favor of something else like an early willys bed or.....?

mason

• 1 month later...

Well i took it out wheeling at the end of june there and it did great , i took it easy for a little bit because i didnt want to break it in an hour like last time , but as the day went on i got more stupid :brows: . i aint got squat fer pics but it was a blast .

this me and my budy jose in his rubicon before leaving in the morning

and this is at the end of the day on our last run just checking out the view

man wheeling with the doors off was awsome , wish id done it a long time ago . the only thing i managed to break was the clutch , it still held good but i couldnt shift , i first thought it was the master or slave so when i got home i replaced them both since they were realy old and the master had a small leak but it didnt fix the problem so now it sits out front broken waiting its turn to get fixed . the nice thing is that a couple years ago when i had money (before kids and such) i bought a center force clutch for it knowing that i would need it some day :yes: so there is no real out of pocket on anything and that keeps the wife happy. so untill then .........

• 1 month later...

Well i managed to get the trans and t-case droped today and in side i found the shift fork with a big crack in it , now that its out I'm starting to consider swaping in a 700r4/231 combo that a friend had laying around but before i go any further with that i probably should call and see if its still laying around. i think i got some more thinking to do :hmm:

• 4 weeks later...

well i finaly got the manch fixed , working on the ground sucks and i hope never have to do the trans or anything like that on the ground again , for a wile atleast . man I'm spoiled at work :roll:

welded up the cracks in the clutch fork and then made a plate to reinforce it , my first plate i made was made outa 3/16 plate but i decided not to use it because it was a heavy mofo so i made a new one outa some plate that was just over 1/16 and it felt much better

and wile the trans was out i wanted to paint it with something that was tuff and non porous so grease , oils and mud wouldnt stick as much and make cleanup easy so i painted the trans with some por 15 , and boy does it look purty :yes:

and to top of the fix i replaced the rear main seal that was leaking and installed the new clutch kit that i picked up for it years ago. the old stocker on top and the new centerforce 2 on the bottom

i managed to find a place under the hood on the left side cowl to mount my arb air compressor today , now i got to run the power to the compressor and the airlines to the tank and then find some space to mount my air horn , tidy up a few loose ends here and there and move on the next , will try to get some pics up later

how is your custom drive shaft holding out?

The drive shaft is holding out great , i havent had a problem with it yet other than it needs more angularity but thats a CV issue and its only about 4% of the time , iv got a spare front shaft that I'm gona modify for more angularity but ill probably just wheel this one till i break it :yes: .

so here is where i mounted the compressor , the blue hose runs to the passenger rock slider that is also my air tank and the solinoid on the left runs the air horn (still have to wire the switch) and on the right is the pressure switch (thats out of sight ) ,excuse some of the loose wiring as i still have to clean it up a bit .

and i managed to fit the horn in front of the radiator