PROJECT FUBAR

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much to update as I still need to get it smoged but was given the go ahead by the wife to order the currie antirock swaybar for it as it needs one !! Just as soon as I file my taxes. jamminz.gif Pics as soon as I get it!!

• 2 months later...

Well the truck still isn't smogged yet so I can't drive it but I did get the currie swaybar for it but can't find my camera and I also just picked up msd blaster coil for it to compliment the rest of the ignition upgrades all I need now is some time to work on it .Hopefully I'll have better update soon.'

• 5 months later...

ITS ALIVE!! nothing like waiting till the last minute to do things , so i got it registered on WED and smoged and stickered THU so i could go wheeling this weekend ! still havent put on the currie swaybar yet so maby when i get back ill play with that .

• 4 weeks later...

Well now that iv figured out this taptalk stuff I can get some pics up. The wheeling trip went great but was driving the whole time so didn't get many pics but was able to install the curie antirock sway bar when I got back , so...

zy2y7yta.jpg

8ysu5uzu.jpg

• 1 year later...

Haven't done much but drive the manch around the yard and down to the feed store but I decided to do two things to it today that have been on my list for a couple years now .

The first thing was to install the MSD blaster coil I got almost 2years ago which only took about ten minutes .

qy2usa3y.jpg

And the second was to make it a little more man friendly under the truck , this was something I thought of probably 6 years ago and is my IMO one of the best up upgrades iv done in a long time !

bypyjete.jpg

• 11 months later...

got a chance to work on the manch on sunday so i started my cut out rock rails , I'm puting 2x6 3/16 steel in there. i got the drivers side almost done now i just gota do the passenger side

here's what i had to start with , clean rust free califorina rockers :yes:

after removing the door i marked were i was going to make the cuts

then i started cuting :evil:

then the mock up

after preping the metal for welding and spraying the inside of the rockers and the 2x6 with weld through primer i positioned the steel were i wanted it and began to weld it all in

the bottom is just tacked in along the length of it but will get fully welded later

after modifying the hindges i reatached them and hung the door and here is the finshed product so far

This is exactly what I'm looking for! yours was the one I was basing my sliders off of! Thanks so much for the info! 

Glad you like them ! The best advice I can give is make the cleanest straightest cut you can and when you clean the paint off the sheet metal use a scotch bright type abrasive (I used a 90deg die grinder with the screw on pads) . It takes off just the paint making burn through less likely , I was using a sanding disc at first and it was taking off too much even as careful as I was being and it was causing issues .

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but will post as I think of it.

• 2 weeks later...

One last question, how much tolerance did you leave between the slider and the bed?

When I taped out a line on the rocker to cut along I made the line straight across from the rocker to the bed and started cutting ! I eyeballed were I wanted to cut , drew a line and started cutting all in less than 5 minutes as I didn't want to think about what I was doing ! So in my hast when I first test fit the 2x6 in place the bed was also hitting the slider so instead of making another cut which I didn't want to do I went ahead and slowly bent a lip in the sheet metal with some duck bill vice grips and left about. 1/2" or less gap which I think is about perfect . Also I hindsite I think rolling the edge worked best as it doesn't leave a sharp edge hanging down and adds a little rigidity to the panel , at least that's what I tell my self !

• 3 months later...

And the second was to make it a little more man friendly under the truck , this was something I thought of probably 6 years ago and is my IMO one of the best up upgrades iv done in a long time !
bypyjete.jpg

you sir, are a genius   :thumbsup:  awesome build though

Thanks ! At some point I need to get back to work on it , I went wheeling a few months ago and drug the underneath over a bunch of rocks and stuff so I need to start on skid plating the belly .

How'd the sliders fair? My rockers need replacement so I want to copy what u did lol

They are holding very well ! I tried to cram them into everything I could including stuffing it against a 10" steel pipe sticking up and pivoting around it , I still don't have any supports beyond the cab portion but I haven't seen any problems as of yet . Once I add the extra slider I will be tying it into the exo cage as they will be done at the same time .

How'd the sliders fair? My rockers need replacement so I want to copy what u did lol

They are holding very well ! I tried to cram them into everything I could including stuffing it against a 10" steel pipe sticking up and pivoting around it , I still don't have any supports beyond the cab portion but I haven't seen any problems as of yet . Once I add the extra slider I will be tying it into the exo cage as they will be done at the same time .

The rear section under the bed isn't being supported by anything!? I thought for sure you ran some tube back to the frame lol that's sweet its holding up with just being tied into the cab though

The rear section under the bed isn't being supported by anything!? I thought for sure you ran some tube back to the frame lol that's sweet its holding up with just being tied into the cab though

Yup it's just hanging out there but its maby 18" or maby 20" long IIRC , I want to tie it in but I haven't come up with a clean effiecent suport system that isn't going to become an anchor on the trail or look all half ended . The slider is also 3 / 16" thick and it its self is very ridged and can with stand a lot which is why I chose it as it is also my air tank and is caped with 1/4" plate on the ends .

:thumbsup:  good deal. I though about just running a bar back to the frame and incorporating a tank skid with it on the drivers side, but then I just have a bar hanging out there on the passenger side that will get hung up on everything

• 2 months later...

Whats the word on this thing????

Nothing right now though you inspired me atleast go out and start it as it ain't been started in probably 3-4 months so thank you for that .Iv been spending a lot of time with my mom and family lately , my mom just passed a few weeks ago so things are starting to settle down now and school just let out so I'll have more time to monkey with things as I can leave work earlier . I'm actually wanting to focus my energy on my 1975 Ramcharger as it is in serious need of some TLC . I will keep y'all posted on both projects !