Project Patience....a 90 Eliminator trail build

Well its good to be back in an MJ. MY previous account would not let me back in (19674x4) I used to have a 88 2wd Sporttruck. Sold it to find a new truck. Here recently i had a 99 XJ that i built up extensively Link here: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/project-blueberry-211258/

Just traded the XJ for a 90 Eliminator...will continue with the build thread as more things come up.

I spend most of my time over on Cherokee Forum, so check there for most up to date build progress. Here is my MJ build thread: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/project-patience-90-mj-dd-trail-sleeper-231553/

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, got in to some wiring..cleaned up all of the PO's twisted and e-taped connections and heat shrinked them for now until i can build proper harnesses. Replaced the flasher switch to repair my turn signals. Still chasing no brake lights or reverse lights. I have power going in to the brake switch, but non out the other side. WIll just replace the switch for good measure as its on $9. No reverse lights has me thinking bad or dirty connection on the reverse sensor in the tranny. Would prefer to have them working, but i can always wire in some extra reverse lights on a switch. Found a couple coolant leaks and a PS leak.

Spent all last night digging in to my no brake lights. Turns out, the wires going into the hazard/brake flasher slots on the fuse block are so loose, that it cannot make a clean connection. As soon as i wiggled the connections, i had working brake lights. So for the mean time, i thin i am going to remove those spades and crimp on blade connectors to plug in the flasher to and let it hang. That should get me by till this summer when i can pull a fuse block from a JY and spend a day soldering connections.

Got my headlight relay harness in last night. Bought it from a member over on Cherokeeforum. This version is much better than the Putco i had on my XJ. Just ordered my H4 housings and 55/60 bulbs. can't wait to get rid of these Junk HID things that pass for headlights!

Swapped in a set of 97+ 2 door XJ tilt seats. For those who are using the search function....MJ bucket mounts will not work with any other seat. You must swap tracks if your donor seats are from a early model xj. Or you must Fab your own mounts if you are using 97+ seats as the track widths are 4" wider. I used some scrap tubing i had laying around to Fab my own mounts. It took about 2 hours for 1 seat by taking my time and working on drilling holes and finding hardware. THese will work for now until i strip the interior, at which time i will re make my mounts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive been Bad about updating the build on this site, simply because its so much easier to upload photos over on CF.

Most up to date is over on CF: http://www.cherokeef...sleeper-231553/

So far, i have cut the front fenders to match the newer xj lines.

plugged the knock sensor back in and gained power

Bent the Nates 4x4 rear bumper simply from tugging out at YJ

and started on a custom center console.

Here are some photos. It is below zero for the next week, sop i am not able to get much done. however this weekend i will have some updates.

What size bulb did you use for the heater control? every LED I've used was too long for the housing

Those are the stock dash bulbs. Try these guys: http://www.onewaylight.com/1984-2001-jeep-cherokee-xj-instrument-light-set/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just read through your other post on the Cherokee Forum. How about show us the love you show them :yes: It's looking good so far! Keep the updates coming.

Because uploading pictures here, literally takes me 3x as long. No joke. Here's a teaser of the 3 link.....https://www.instagram.com/p/BPn2NRrAf-s/and yes, that upper link joint is supposed to be like that. It will flex 12" shocks on 35" tires.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, i braved photobucket......man i hate that site. here's some updates.....

Got 33's put on it. Phjoto shows the difference from 31x10.5's to 33x12.5's. Not sure on Rim backspacing, but they rub the bed when flexing or hitting a pothole and the fronts rub the control arms at full lock. The PO welded the steering stops, so i can't turn those out :fs1: :

Got my Cav-Fab Steering in:

I am waiting on a couple more parts to show up: stainless brake lines, the actual 3-link and some other small stuff, then i will tear in to her :banana:

Making room for movement with  33's on 4" and the 3-link. Gonna stay with the sleeper theme and stay low with droop.

Some Fender Massaging. Need a new wire wheel and some paint to finish off the bare metal.

Rubicon express track bar and frame brace....this is the second one ive installed, and the holes on the passenger side always need some massaging to fit. Anyone looking for a niche market? i know of only 2 companies that  make these braces

Steering box spacer and box brace are getting installed tonight! i need to find a good 5/8's bit or reamer before i can install the cav-fab crossover steering.