Old Style doors glass question.

You can replace the pivoting vent window with a fixed vent window out of an XJ. No such thing though as a one piece glass window until 1997, and they don't fit the old style doors. Although I vaguely remember a post by Gjeep who did it somehow. Maybe he'll chime in.

You can replace the pivoting vent window with a fixed vent window out of an XJ. No such thing though as a one piece glass window until 1997, and they don't fit the old style doors. Although I vaguely remember a post by Gjeep who did it somehow. Maybe he'll chime in.

Apparently it has been done, but you have to mod a fair whack of things in the doors and play with the seals a bit.  I asked for pictures, they were not forthcoming, thus I will consider it to be unicorn/chupacabra status for now, although I believe that anything is possible with enough time/money/willingness to screw with things.

The older glass has a single mounting point and the later glass has two mounting holes. I'm running Japanese made Beijing XJ regulators and an approx 2.5"x6" adapter plate I made. I mocked up 97+ XJ regulators and they work, but lots of new holes need to be drilled in the inner door as well as some spacers that are needed for the mounting bolts. Kind of a mess. The Beijing regulators bolt directly to the 84-96 XJ doors. Know that I bought 2 scrap doors to play with this modification long before deciding and drilling on my 89 MJ's doors. I had one scrap door with the Beijing set up and one with the 97+ XJ regulator. Both with the US 97+ XJ glass. And again, decided to go with the Beijing XJ regulators.

I also took the extra step that could probably be skipped of cutting the inner door glass channel that the front end of the 97+ glass runs against. It's basically a support piece.

Finally, for the outter weatherstrip, you have the choice of the one piece 97+ XJ style or again, the Beijing XJ uses the older metal lower frame with a longer rubber insert that I went with.

I'm aiming to do this mod on my '92 MJ shortly and will do a write up.

I have a 'buyer' I connected with in china. There is typically a $150-$200 starter/ time spent doing fee each transaction on top of the price of the parts. 3 years ago those Beijing regulators were $90 USD.

Might be time to organize a group buy. I suspect a lot of our members would be interested.

I have a 'buyer' I connected with in china. There is typically a $150-$200 starter/ time spent doing fee each transaction on top of the price of the parts. 3 years ago those Beijing regulators were $90 USD.

Might be time to organize a group buy. I suspect a lot of our members would be interested.

If there was a market for them (which there probably is...)  somebody could bring a whole seacan in and sell them off over time.