keep the 2.5 or convert????

i am tossed about keeping the 2.5 or tossing it when i do the 4wd conversion. I want to turn 33's and worried that even running 4.88 the 4 cyl is going to feel weak. on the other hand i love the gas mileage i get out of it currently..

The manche is a 89 so i have read posts that it will jsut swap in.

Might as well sap it out for a v-6 like the 4.3. Find a wrecked s-10 thats 4wd( that way you get the right 700r4 tranny) and swap the whole thing. Then call up advance adpaters or Novak and get the t-case adapter and be done with it.

Convert! Get it done with. If you don't do it now, you'll regret it later.

Alot of people are happy with the 2.5 though!

Just not me.

I'm running 31x10.5s and I've swapped my 4.10s out for 4.56s. It does great wheeling through everything, but it sUcks on the road.

I'll be upping to 33s or 35s as soon as I find a set in my price range, but I'll take it off of the road as a normal driver at that point so I don't have to deal with the lack of all speed.

I think pong has an XJ with one in it. I've made some posts/discussion about it.

I looked into it and seriously considered it. As in I was about 10 minutes of work away from buying an engine (still don't know how I was going to get it in the back of the XJ though).

I can't remember a lot of the specifics, but you'll need to buy/fab motor mounts, a tranny mount/crossmember and do a bit of work with the fuel/electrical and exhaust. The early 700R4s are horrible, luckily they've all blown up by now and been rebuilt. A lot of the S-10s came with NP231s or NP233s. The NP233 is just an electrically shifted 231, and can be made to work. I'd personally avoid it however.

And NP231J (jeep) will fit in a NP231C (chevy). They're actually basically the same, other than they came with different input gears, and some chevy stuff was wide chain/6 planet reduction. I think the output yokes are different, but they can be swapped.

Chevy does clock their tcases different though. You might need to do some cutting of the floor.

why not drop a small v8 like the 265ci i know that some gm cars had them like the buick century :nuts: go get the cyclone 4.3l that gm produced believe that v6 had 24v and turbo charged as well :nuts:

I'm sure FREEROCKNOK was refering to me as I'm happy with my 2.5 and I'm in the process of swapping in the newer MPI one. I had 35s and 4.10s and that was sluggish but now with 4.88s i am in 4th gear at 40-45. I am very happy with the little 4banger. But to each his own. And for the work i sometimes think i should be going with a 4.0 but i can't bring myself to it. :dunno:

Cole

I bought an xj with a 4.3 in it. It is from a 90 Caprice :eek: and it has a 92 700r4 with an advance adapters adapter to run the 207 t-case (same bolt pattern as the 231) I am still in the process of finishing this project as I bought it to run the drive train in Pong, then plans changed on it.

Advance adpaters sell the motor mount kit for 189... then if you do it right and buy a whole parts rig the only other thing you would have to do is get the tranny mount.. and I think the one I have on it is from AA as well.

The guy who had this project went through a nasty divorce and his ex made him sell it in the final settlement. I got the whole rig for what he had in the wiring and t-case adapter

Back to the project... in order to run the 4.3 using AA kit you need a 3" lift to clear the oil pan, and it also moves the motor over to the passenger side 2". (this is why I didnt strip the rig and swap it into pong, I need all the room I can get on the passenger side due to the setup I am going to be running)

I'm sure FEEROCKNOK was refering to me as I'm happy with my 2.5 and I'm in the process of swapping in the newer MPI one.

Cole

Yup, and I think MJeff87 has one as well? And also the guy that Pete wheeled with in Moab that he said did awesome.

Some people love em. It's a good little motor, no doubt, but it frustrates me. Crawls like a somabitch though!

well i think the 4.0 has to happen reading past posts it looks like a bolt in job on my year comanche. I found on at a pick a part from a 93 xj.

its a government xj and runs great. my choice of transmission. 260 dollars motor,trans,transfer case

you can't beat that price. i also get all electrics with it.

can't even find a 2.5 transmission/tcase.

hopefully it will be there wednesday on half price day. they put it out monday morning.

And NP231J (jeep) will fit in a NP231C (chevy). They're actually basically the same, other than they came with different input gears, and some chevy stuff was wide chain/6 planet reduction. I think the output yokes are different, but they can be swapped.

The front bolt pattern is different between the two which keeps them from being interchangeable. The 231c has 5 bolts to the tranny and the 231j has 6. The same SYE works for both, so a 231c isn't a bad choice when swapping in a GM drivetrain.

I'm actually quite happy with my 2.5. Almost 170,000 miles on it, and all I've done is the routine maintainance to it. Oil changes (needs one now), and I've also had to put a new water pump, thermostat, and alternator in it, but other than that, it's done wonders for me. I'm driving it till it dies, then opting for a FI 350 with another 5 spd behind it.

Just replaced my old 2.5L which had over 300,000 miles on it (odo broke at 298.995 5 years before we pulled the still running motor for another project)

Forgot to mention you can bolt a Caddy Northstar to the2.5L bellhousing.