Battery Cables

Started a new thread on this rather than hijack my own (sorry guys, I'm still trying to get my own problems fixed!)

Need high quality cables pre-made?

If you want to upgrade your ground and battery cables with custom made parts, contact Neal at Mean Lemons Sweet Cables. Meanlemons@gmail.com

Does this person have a web site? Location? Member of another forum?

Does he use lemon batteries?   :yes:

I emailed Neal and found him on another forum, all full of pictures and stuff since everyone will want to see what they're buying before they lay down the $$$.  Everything I've seen looks like high quality, well built stuff that's solidly crimped, and at a reasonable price.  I'm getting a set of 4ga wires to try and get my bugs sorted out (after I clean the pins like Hornbrod suggested on the 60 pin connector) and will let ya'll know here how things work out.  These look almost identical to the old Kelly's WIP (or 5-90 cables) stuff and the price is hard to beat.

Here's that link for those who learn best through pictures: http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f73/upgraded-battery-cables-221513/

And his email: MeanLemons@gmail.com

Thanks, I was literally just looking for info on this!

I was at harbor freight pricing hydraulic crimp tools yesterday and have been calling around the local welding shops to get used leads for the past week.  Glad I could help!

I spent half a day, went to the parts store and got 2ga cables made. All the powers and grounds for like $40 with ends

Inline fuses too? This is a set of 7 cables (all grounds, battery, and alternator cabling) with inline fuses, not just the two battery cables.

I spent half a day, went to the parts store and got 2ga cables made. All the powers and grounds for like $40 with ends

Inline fuses too? This is a set of 7 cables (all grounds, battery, and alternator cabling) with inline fuses, not just the two battery cables.

Man I was really disappointed in the WIP cables. They were ALL black! They were built beautifully but for the price I paid I was expecting something that looked correct under the hood. I was so disappointed I put them back in the box, stuck them on the shelf and hadn't thought about them for 2 years.

I like these 'Lemon' cables.

I made up sets for my two XJs. I bought one of the cheap crimper for $60. It actually works good. There is a review on line. The negative is you have to guess what die set to use. I found out, that you need to go to the one that just barely crimps, then the next size down. I used welding cable on one set, and marine grade. I liked the marine cables, tinned. Also, check Car Audio stores.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my cables in earlier this week, Neal was awesome at answering my questions I had and kept me informed where he was on getting them out to me.  I got a box with 3 envelopes in it, one with my MJ set, one with my XJ set, and one with the battery connections, fuses, and fuse holders.  I snapped a few pics so y'all could see how it all arrived as I opened it up.  I'm very happy with the quality of the cables, only suggestion I think I would add is a diagram or a list of where each of them go for the wrench-impaired amongst us ;)

Note, he sends out 2 fuses per kit which I think is pretty cool.  Now I have a spare to toss in the glovebox in case of emergency!

c5482303ae5ef2bde3caeaba1dc174a9.jpg

12c1017d8ac49381b62ba951d7c84f5e.jpg313904f99d9fd0cdb50ebf4074ebfa40.jpgeded1a46bb6311f10de413693a950df2.jpgad46a339768499385402c6e04cf27239.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Power distribution center. The black plastic thingy with all your fuses in it. Sits right behind your battery and the hot lead is attached to the front of it under a little cover.

(I did the same thing until I saw a picture.)

I made myself some cables recently to upgrade since mine were cracking and old. Got most parts from Delcity and got 1 ga welding cable from the local parts store. Spent about 120$ all told. Thats including getting all new connectors for my fuse block, flux, solder, and oxguard. I got a power post to spread the B+ a little more easily and to the power dist center (can't see it very well in the pic but its under that three way junction.) Also grounded the neg to the fender on the way to the block with this neat inline post Delcity has.  Did all the cleaning and securing crimps and such while I was at it. I used to do crimping with a big swage tool or vise for a long time but its a pain and DC has these neat solder plugs that (after screwing one up trying to get the right heat level) work incredible and all you need is a propane torch. You can see in the picture how it all works. I'm super happy with it and it probably took about two hours tops to assemble, clean, and install everything. Just another thought for people who want to redo their systems. As a note, I didn't run anything to the alternator and didn't redo the cable from the engine to the firewall yet. Hope this helps some people!

My new cables are installed and look great! Had a little hiccup with the alternator, the new lug wouldn't fit inside the insulator on the 130A alternator but a little dremel work fixed that right up.

Before (doesn't fit)

5beacc016f166b587aadc037b7ea9f61.jpg

After (now fits awesome! )

b53f4d00dda250b63576ea5f1d23d0f8.jpg

Don't forget to remove the puny stock PDC feed wire (~#6 AWG) from the alt when you get all the new bigger cables installed. Or you can leave it hooked up for possible backup purposes, but disconnect it and tie wrap the insulated cable ends up out of the way. Disco at the connector that pulls apart about in the middle of the cable.

Don't forget to remove the puny stock PDC feed wire (~#6 AWG) from the alt when you get all the new bigger cables installed. Or you can leave it hooked up for possible backup purposes, but disconnect it and tie wrap the insulated cable ends up out of the way. Disco at the connector that pulls apart about in the middle of the cable.

Yep, I removed it completely. The big plastic connector is hot though, correct? Do I need to tape it off for water intrusion?

I made myself some cables recently........ As a note, I didn't run anything to the alternator and didn't redo the cable from the engine to the firewall yet.........

From what I understand, the alternator cable is the most important one to upgrade since it sees the highest amps when the alternator is charging the system (after starting, using a winch, left the headlamps on for a late night football game, etc...).  Might want to look into getting that one in particular upgraded!

I made myself some cables recently........ As a note, I didn't run anything to the alternator and didn't redo the cable from the engine to the firewall yet.........

From what I understand, the alternator cable is the most important one to upgrade since it sees the highest amps when the alternator is charging the system (after starting, using a winch, left the headlamps on for a late night football game, etc...).  Might want to look into getting that one in particular upgraded!

Gotcha. I simply didn't have any cable to do it with at the time and the 1ga seemed a bit overkill. After I find this coolant leak today, I'll run to the store and get that straightened out. Thanks