Identify my rear axle

Sorry for the noob question but can someone tell me what my rear axle is based on the below pic? Previous owner said the rear axle was a Dana 35 but comparing it to pictures online it looks like it might be a 44. Am I dreaming?

92c5f7c3b50b1ccf1f84f709f897a31c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now THAT'S a pleasant surprise!!!  :banana:  :rock on:  :clapping:

That's what I thought based on the pics I was comparing it to but it's nice to have confirmation. Thanks hornbrod! Guess I can scratch that future rear axle upgrade off my list now.

Anyone know why AMC switched to the D44 in 1987 for the optional HD axle instead of carrying on with the AMC-20 they used in 86? It was/is a damn good axle and AMC wasn't dying yet.  :hmm:  My guess would be manufacturing costs but I have no idea....

I would assume cost too, I'm guessing the limited numbers they needed to produce no longer justified building the axles in house.  Rule of scale.  By that point I don't think they were using the model 20 in anything else as they had already gone away from it in the SJs and there was no option for a HD rear axle in the YJ, nor had they been offering a HD axle in the XJ prior to the 87 model year.  They might have just been using up old stock to assemble the axles for the 86 model year MJ?  Somebody on here posted a truck with an 86 truck with an abnormal but factory D44 didn't they, or maybe I'm crazy?