1987 Chief - Clean 'n Simple

I took this video the day after I brought her home this summer. I chuckle now when I watch it because I've learned so much about the truck since then. But it does give a better idea of the condition when I first got it!

Progress continues:

- Bilstein 5100s all around
- New rear shock mounts welded to axle
- Clayton upper and lower control arms
- New brake and power steering hoses
- Replaced as needed: ball joints, U joints, and axle seals

The difference in ride quality is huge!

Some pics:

59238ac4442f3a8619f71f5033c0a1f9.jpg

f7b33e3291de6a5e65b2094c3c59067f.jpg

a9a1162a41bb2eda3c3da6d24642e7b0.jpg

4783a1748d723022e54cc78d3330356c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the stance, it just looks right.

Curious why you didn't go to a long arm setup of some sort at that height?

Thank you sir!

Honestly I haven't done much research into long arm setups. I hear they improve ride quality but they are more expensive. I'm not planning to do much off-roading with this truck so I don't know how much they would benefit me? Maybe something I'll consider further down the road.

Thank you sir!

Honestly I haven't done much research into long arm setups. I hear they improve ride quality but they are more expensive. I'm not planning to do much off-roading with this truck so I don't know how much they would benefit me? Maybe something I'll consider further down the road.

Mostly it would be for ride quality for you.  And depending on how it's set up it might actually handle better.

Drop brackets might be a good option for you too.  They excel everywhere but offroad.  Okay, they're not terrible offroad, they're just not perfect.

Thank you sir!

Mostly it would be for ride quality for you.  And depending on how it's set up it might actually handle better.

Drop brackets might be a good option for you too.  They excel everywhere but offroad.  Okay, they're not terrible offroad, they're just not perfect.

Thanks for the info! I've done some more research into long arms and it's probably something I will do someday in the future. It'll be awhile though, funds are a little low right now and there are some other things I consider a higher priority with the truck right now. Namely: dual diaphragm brake booster upgrade and paint/bodywork.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't blame you for taking off the light bar,

How do you like the stance?

I like it personally

Thanks yeah I like the stance much better when it's lower in the rear! Looks more balanced now. Just gotta figure out the best way to make it permanent. It's cheap and easy to keep weight in the back, but it's not really a permanent solution unless it wears the springs out enough over time.

I've done some research into swapping FSJ leafs or an XJ bastard pack that way I don't have to mess with going back to SUA. But I don't feel like messing with that right now so...bags of dirt it is!

• 6 months later...

What a crazy year 2017 has been. Unfortunately, I have not had much time to devote to the MJ so I don't have much in the way of updates to post. I purchased a new, fun daily driver (2001 BMW M5) so that's been getting more of my attention these days. I really enjoy having the MJ as my alternate vehicle for Home Depot runs, dump runs, helping friends move, or when the M5 is in the shop.

I'm moving from Maryland to Tampa, FL in a few weeks (if it's not underwater from Hurricane Irma, at least) and I'm finally getting a house with a garage so I'm hoping to be able to do more work on the MJ myself. Very difficult to do any serious projects while living in a townhouse with no garage. I'm hoping that 2018 will see some actual progress with the truck! Then again, my wife is pregnant, so that might be wishful thinking. On my short list of things to do after I get settled in FL:

1. Fix the A/C -- pretty sure it's gonna be miserable to drive this in the FL heat without A/C

2. Figure out how to lower the rear end a bit without going back to SUA. The stance sits a little high in the rear for my taste, as discussed before. I'm hoping that stock shackles and perhaps 2wd leafs or some sort of Explorer or XJ bastard pack will lower it enough so the rake doesn't look as obvious.

3. Dual diaphragm brake booster upgrade

And for good measure, since these threads are worthless without pics:

2017-07-20_19-11-00_091 (2017-08-20T12_48_32.707).jpg

• 2 years later...

I liked your build so much i bought your truck lol. It now lives in n.y.. In the last year I've put in bds 6.5 coil springs. yukon zip lockers front and rear with 4.56 gears. And a viair on board air system. dirtbound rear bumper smitybuilt front bumper and a 11k winch.